PDA

View Full Version : Need another aux input!

midlife
09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Can you modify or adapt a phono input to function as a line level aux in without effecting linear frequency reponse? thanks.

Hoerninger
09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=160232&postcount=50

grumpy
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Gaah. Do not do this. Just because it is technically possible,
does not make it a good idea.

You would be far better off with an inexpensive external
mixer/source-selector... or get something with more inputs.

hjames
09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Can you modify or adapt a phono input to function as a line level aux in without effecting linear frequency reponse? thanks.

Anything is possible. But you have the RIAA curve and everything else to deal with on Phono inputs. So, don't do this.
Easy answer is to just get another preamp and feed it's REC Out into your AUX in. I did that with a Carver preamp into my HK receiver to gain an extra Photo input ... but the same idea applies with any input of your additional preamp.

louped garouv
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
if you only need one more input, you could bypass the phono stage with a toggle.....

then if you needed the phono stage some time in the future, it would still be there....

line stage should follow the phono stage, right?
it's all about knowing where the phono stage ends,
and feeds into the 'follower' line stage

(that's how many DJ mixers work, at least.... toggle switch to get the phono preamp in or out of circuit on a given channel...)

grumpy
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
if you only need one more input, you could bypass the phono stage with a toggle.....

I had actually typed something quite similar, but then considered it likely
too technical, potentially damaging, and given the simplicity of adding,
rather than modifying, I deleted it :)

louped garouv
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
i can understand your concern....

if you are at all uncomfortable doing this sort of mod, hire it out...

:)

like i normally would...

BMWCCA
09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
I somehow doubt Midlife is interested in modding his pre-amp. If I recall correctly, he was acquiring a vintage Crown IC-150A and it may be overwhelmed with the requirements of today's systems, especially any attempts at HT. Maybe he can let us know what he needs and perhaps there's a simple way to achieve it without modifying the vintage parts by using some of the tape monitor functions (I think it has two) or even the front-panel Aux3 input, if that's the pre-amp he's using. :dont-know

midlife
09-22-2009, 07:22 AM
You're right on the money about it being HT needs, BMWCCA. Let me see if I can make a short story long.... My main system is Crown; OC150, SL2, and a DC300, it's upstairs out of the way. Down stairs, in the den, I'm putting together a 4 spkr, 2 channel "HT". I have a d150, ic150a, oc150, and some more source equip coming latter. Well wouldn't you know the little woman says too much stuff in her den. So I find an old school do it all receiver to cut down on individual components, but its short an aux input. And yes I do know I could patch the ic150 into the receiver for those extra aux ins, but it would kinda defeat my goal of reducing the number of pieces in the system. thanks all.

BMWCCA
09-22-2009, 07:42 AM
So I find an old school do it all receiver to cut down on individual components, but its short an aux input.Well, at least you wouldn't be hacking an IC150 if you rigged a phono input on a receiver. How many tape-monitor circuits do you have on the receiver that you're not using? And what source are you trying to hook into an extra input? I"m assuming you have the normal inputs now: tape, tuner, aux. If the receiver is newer you may have tape, tuner, digital, aux. For instance, if you're trying to hook up a TV tuner, DVD, and and BlueRay player you could run either the DVD or BlueRay (or TV) into a tape input if you're not already using it and simply switch the monitor circuit in and out as needed.

This may be too simplistic a suggestion and you may have already considered all this but without knowing what inputs you have and what sources you're trying to input, the question is kind of tough to answer other the off-the-wall suggestions for modding a receiver that's probably easier to just replace.

midlife
09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Will the tape monitor function as an aux in? Same eq, ohms, sensitivity?

hjames
09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Will the tape monitor function as an aux in? Same eq, ohms, sensitivity?

Sure - its an input port for standard (non-phono) inputs ...

JBL 4645
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Gaah. Do not do this. Just because it is technically possible,
does not make it a good idea.

You would be far better off with an inexpensive external
mixer/source-selector... or get something with more inputs.

Agree that is what I was thinking where it can mate with the AUX then use the mixers inputs to send additional inputs then switch though which one is needed.

boputnam
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Gaah. Do not do this. Just because it is technically possible, does not make it a good idea.

You would be far better off with an inexpensive external mixer/source-selector... or get something with more inputs.My sentiments, exactly. Except I would have spelt "Gaah" differently... :rotfl:

bigyank
09-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Sure - its an input port for standard (non-phono) inputs ...

I have used this method with satisfactory results all the time with vintage gear.

Yank

SEAWOLF97
09-24-2009, 09:39 AM

I found this in an old SR last night ..also a thread about these

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/4/43147.html

http://www.hagtech.com/iriaa.html