PDA

View Full Version : Garage System Up and running

andresohc
06-18-2004, 08:44 PM
I finally got my garage system up and going. I thought I would use this opportunity to try and post my first photos. It is a triamped system as follows: Highs 2404h powered by PS400 (actually a Techron), For the mid freqs from 90Hz to 7000Hz I am using a mock SR4722A with the correct passive network between the 2206Hs and 2417Hs/2432 powered by a Crest Vs450,, for the bass I am using 2245hs (one in a 4645 and the other in a custom box tuned down to 20Hz) powered by my old companion, a Crown DC300a. I am using a Rane AC23 for the crossover. Tomorrow I will play with the levels and try and EQ by ear. (I need to get an Audiocontrol 305*RTA)
I took suggestions from several forum members in putting this together, thanks all. I think it is going to be sufficient;) .
My next project will probably be an XPL200A clone and after I get practiced with my Porter Cable Magic Edge Guide, I will start my 4345 inspired AV system.

Robh3606
06-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey whats Up!!!!

Sounds like fun to me! So how do you like it?? Levels by ear are tricky use the "Tools".

Rob :)

andresohc
06-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Left speakers (practice makes perfect, sorry about the separate threads)

andresohc
06-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Right speakers, (see I told you Id get it;)

andresohc
06-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Another try

andresohc
06-18-2004, 09:13 PM
amp rack(first try)

andresohc
06-18-2004, 09:35 PM
I didnt have time to listen much today. Put on a Donald Byrd CD and it sounded great but needs tweeking. By "tools" I assume you mean an RTA? (which I dont have access to yet). I have some test discs I will run some white noise settings tomorrow. Looking forward to working in my garage tomorow;)

johnaec
06-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by andresohc
By "tools" I assume you mean an RTA? (which I dont have access to yet). I have some test discs I will run some white noise settings tomorrow. Looking forward to working in my garage tomorow;) You actually want to be using "pink" noise, not "white" noise, for audio testing.

Even though I have a couple different RTAs, I've gotten much better results using a discreet 31 band audio generator from Neutrik, (mine actually says Neutrik on it - the new ones say NTI), called the Minirator MR1. It's a handheld unit you plug into your system, then use it to send individual tone signals based on ISO 1/3 octave frequencies through your system. (It also generates pink noise and sweep tones.)

I've found that adjusting the EQ based on what these discreet frequencies sound like to MY ear results in a far more pleasing result that anything I ever get with an RTA. One of the main reasons is that the RTA is getting the signal from a single point source, (the mic), and we all know slight movements can make a huge difference in what we hear, whereas an RTA is seeing a response based on a single point of reference. With the MR1 you can be moving around and adjust your EQ for the best average response to both your human ears in different locations, and what it sounds like to YOUR ear instead of a mic. I know some will say that EQ'ing for flat RTA response will most closely match a studio environment, but I still prefer the results of "human" EQ'ing with the MR1.

The MR1 is my favorite audio tool, and lists for only $215. More info here, (and look at their other stuff too):
http://www.nt-instruments.com/X0-ASP-pLngCateId_217-pIntLevel_4-X1-default.htm

John