PDA

View Full Version : My reproduction of a vintage "Lancer 66" badge.

transducergeek
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
I am in mid-project now..

But I thought I would document my repro-ject of a vintage 1962? "Lancer 66" badge as one is missing from a pair I have and I need another.

Using the original as a template and some copper 12 GA wire, and sheet copper...

I formed the near-paper thin copper around the "Exclamation Point" and cut it a bit large in order to wrap it around to make a 3-D thick copy.

Then I soldered it to a pre-bent and cut-to-length piece of 12 ga. solid copper house wire.

Which had been tested to fit well into the hole in the grille of the Lancer 66.

I will solder some little wires to simulate the wording and numerals, build it up in thickness along the wire and will paint it black later..

If anyone else needs to make one, this method seems to works well.. (If you already have one..)

From 7 or 8 feet away, I think it won't be noticed as a counterfeit.

Have fun. Rolf E.

Mr. Widget
09-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I would try going with a Mag Die. Mag dies are photo etched magnesium plates. They are typically used for embossing designs in the printing industry, but I've used them for prototyping all sorts of metal logos. You need to create a quality black and white image of your artwork and then send it to an engraver who does this process. You will receive your design (tell them you want it right reading) as a raised surface on a plate. For this design, you will need to use a coping saw and files to trim out your design... It is really easy and it is surprisingly inexpensive.

I like these folks: http://coaste.com/nameplates.html

Widget

Akira
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Widget...
Just out of curiosity what language is the Oriental template and what does it say.
As I am of Asian persuasion I am curious.
p.s. I'm also 4th generation so I'm kinda out of it when it comes to anything of that culture.

Mr. Widget
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry, both of those images were taken from the interweb. I didn't have pics of any examples of badges that I have made... though I have made dozens in quite a range of styles.

Widget

keith141
09-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Just out of curiosity what language is the Oriental template and what does it say.

It is "侍 - SAMURAI" in negative form. ;)