PDA

View Full Version : Howard's Feed and Wax?

Doc Mark
09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Greetings, Friends,

I know that some of you use Howard's Feed and Wax on your walnut JBL enclosures. For those that have used this for a few years, how is it working for you? I've still not had time to do my experiment with Watco Danish oil vs HF&W, and a few others things. Is HF&W working well for you? Any problems with clogging the pores of the walnut with the wax that's contained within the formula? I need to do a bit of housecleaning on my L300's, and have some Howard's Feed and Wax on the shelf. How will it work for me? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
If you worry, get a spray bottle of Howards Orange Oil - its the oil part of Feed and Wax without the Wax ... works great for me - but - Home Deport near me doesn't carry it anymore!

Greetings, Friends,

I know that some of you use Howard's Feed and Wax on your walnut JBL enclosures. For those that have used this for a few years, how is it working for you? I've still not had time to do my experiment with Watco Danish oil vs HF&W, and a few others things. Is HF&W working well for you? Any problems with clogging the pores of the walnut with the wax that's contained within the formula? I need to do a bit of housecleaning on my L300's, and have some Howard's Feed and Wax on the shelf. How will it work for me? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

badman
09-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Orange or lemon oil should be available at HD.

The wax doesn't seem to mess it up when used on my veneered cabs, but they're DIY, not JBL.

SEAWOLF97
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I know that some of you use Howard's Feed and Wax on your walnut JBL enclosures. For those that have used this for a few years, how is it working for you?
Doc

Doc

On speakers that are not keepers ...I use Howards to make them their most presentable...

From your posts , I ASSUME that you are keeping the L300's.

On speakers that I am keeping, I use an Australian beeswax formula

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23294

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9205&

postcount=4
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25686
(post 8 thru 13)

it truly makes the teak of the 250ti's glow...I apply it the first time with a very fine steel wool (there is a citrus cleaner in it)..that cleanes the gunk out of the grain ...let it setup abt half hour and buff it out...leaves a museum quality look to the veneer.:bouncy:

phils link for an American beeswax spray

http://www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=77

shaansloan
09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Greetings, Friends,

I know that some of you use Howard's Feed and Wax on your walnut JBL enclosures. For those that have used this for a few years, how is it working for you? ......Every Good Wish,
Doc

Hey Doc,

I have used the Howard's Feed & Wax many times and I like it very much. I recently used it on my L300's and it works like a champ! I think the wax adds a nice layer of protection to the surface.....I like to use it at room tempurature or slightly warmer(then it really goes in deep).... I think you cant go wrong with it.... God Bless, Shaan

Doc Mark
09-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Morning, Friends,

Many thanks for one and all for your comments and suggestions!! I'm going to go for it, and use the Howard's Feed and Wax, and maybe the Howard's Orange Oil, too, on several of my JBL's, including the L300's. They need a "drink" to help keep them healthy! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

midlife
09-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I think oil is better than wax longterm. But I did use Feed & Wax on some cabinets that wouldn't come up to speed with just oil. My routine is Tung Oil first, then a second application of the Tung oil this time with a very small splash of scratch cover on the same oil saturated cloth. Then after sufficient time for the oil to be soaked in, I use the Feed & Wax to buff and finish the surface that was left a bit tacky by the tung oil.

Doc Mark
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi, All,

Well, I just finished rubbing some Orange Oil into the L300's, and all I can say is "WOW"!! They look fantastic! I do see that the solid wood at the top edges, surrounding the glass, is drinking it in fairly quickly. So, more application is needed. But, I'll see how it all goes, and then might use some Feed and Wax, too, after the OO has soaked in for a bit. Thanks, again, my JBL Friends! Your comments are just what I was seeking! (My L300's thank you, too!!) ;);) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who is moving some JBL stuff around today, TRYING to clean house a little before Sweet Bride returns from her latest gig!!):blink::eek:

mike
09-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I've noticed that some of the commercial furniture polishes that can muddy up the contrasts in the grain over time. The teak veneer of the the Ti series is even more susceptible to being changed by polishes. From what I've read online teak is a little different than other woods when it comes to how it reacts to oil or stain.
For walnut I think it is best to stick to the JBL recipe that was discussed on this forum. For teak I've read that you want to stick with something like pure tung oil.

Mike

basicblues
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I've used the Howard's Feed & Wax with excellent overall results on many restoration projects beside speakers and would recommend this product.