PDA

View Full Version : Altec coil values

ROSSO
09-11-2009, 05:06 AM
I have several pair of the pictured Altec 23405 coils I'd like to maybe use, but I can't find their rated impedance. Anyone know what it is? These were used in lots of Altec crossovers, Santana II's, even some of the pro stuff. A Santana II x-over schematic should give the value.

Earl K
09-11-2009, 06:00 AM
- I don't know the answer but ;

- You could always have someone measure their values for you / if you don't have the now-how ( or equipment ) to do it for yourself .

- Also, a search of Ebay shows many available ( some very affordable ) LCR meter(s) (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=LCR+meter&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_sop=10&_odkw=JBL&_osacat=0)that will do an adequate job of measuring the inductance of a coil .

>< cheers :)

ROSSO
10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
- I don't know the answer but ;

- You could always have someone measure their values for you / if you don't have the now-how ( or equipment ) to do it for yourself .

- Also, a search of Ebay shows many available ( some very affordable ) LCR meter(s) (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=LCR+meter&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_sop=10&_odkw=JBL&_osacat=0)that will do an adequate job of measuring the inductance of a coil .

>< cheers :)Bought a new BK Precision 875A meter. Should probably have one anyway. $75 shipped. Looks like maybe BK's school or institutional grade stuff? As expensive as coils are nowadays, it will pay for itself if I can use this stack of Altec stuff.

PS: the coils all measured 1/2 mH.

Earl K
10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Bought a new BK Precision 875A meter. Should probably have one anyway. $75 shipped. Looks like maybe BK's school or institutional grade stuff? As expensive as coils are nowadays, it will pay for itself if I can use this stack of Altec stuff.
Nice ! :thmbsup: I've always been pretty partial to B&K stuff . That's a fair price for a meter like that when shipping is included into the deal .

PS: the coils all measured 1/2 mH.
Do you mean .5 mH ? ( sorry to be thick, it's just that I usually don’t see inductance expressed as fractions ) .

>< cheers :)

ROSSO
10-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Nice ! :thmbsup: I've always been pretty partial to B&K stuff . That's a fair price for a meter like that when shipping is included into the deal .

Do you mean .5 mH ? ( sorry to be thick, it's just that I usually don’t see inductance expressed as fractions ) .

>< cheers :) Yes - 0.5xx mH, +/-. I measured six of them, three pairs of obviously different production eras.

spkrman57
10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
is the DCR (Direct Current Resistance) of the coil is usefull to know. Especially in the MF/HF sections of crossovers as it helps set the "Q" of the crossover!

4313B has talked about this several times in this forum. Do a search and you should be able to find threads where he has discussed this matter.

Regards, Ron

ROSSO
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
is the DCR (Direct Current Resistance) of the coil is usefull to know. Especially in the MF/HF sections of crossovers as it helps set the "Q" of the crossover!

4313B has talked about this several times in this forum. Do a search and you should be able to find threads where he has discussed this matter.

Regards, Ron DCR is 0.29-0.30 ohms for all six.

ROSSO
10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
wire is 0.040" o.d. - looks like 18 AWG.