PDA

View Full Version : Jubal, and L65, differences

midlife
09-10-2009, 05:56 AM
I am selling (on ebay) a pair of L65s. I listed them as L65 Jubals and have recently received a message telling me the L65s are worth more, than "Jubals", because they "sound" better and also have a higher power handling capacity. Could this be true?

BMWCCA
09-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Technically, I guess, the "Jubal" has the bass port above the woofer and the later L65A has it below. There's a thread here somewhere that explains it better than I can. There are three versions all using different woofers and crossovers; L65 Jubal, L65A, and L65B. As far as I know, only the earliest version says "Jubal" on the foilcals. If yours say "Jubal", that's what they are. They're all L65s of some form or another. General consensus seems to be the later is the better but that's to be expected in most JBLs. I don't think from a resale standpoint it has the same effect as the L150 and L150A, for instance, since they all use the same UHF but I could be wrong.

Most people pop for the L65/A/B/Jubals for the pretty glass top and the sexy 077 and condition seems to have more bearing on ultimate value than the model. :dont-know

Edit: Found this that might help: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12731

and this is the one I was thinking of: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1807

mike
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I would think that they are all probably comparable but the later ones would have tighter bass. As far as value goes I agree with the previous post condition is probably the biggest factor. However collectors in Japan and the rest of the East usually like for a speaker to have a name as well as a model number. All of the really sought after systems had names; Paragon Hartsfield, Patrician, Imperial, etc. For some reason Jubals and L65's are tough to find with cabinets in good condition.

Mike

BMWCCA
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM
For some reason Jubals and L65's are tough to find with cabinets in good condition.Particle board too low to the ground?

Large enough to be a pain to move but small enough to be moved too often?

:dont-know

mike
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Particle board too low to the ground?

Large enough to be a pain to move but small enough to be moved too often?

:dont-know

You are probably right.
Mike

script56
07-15-2012, 10:36 AM
What are the watt differences in the L65a and Jubal? i see in the harman PDF that the 65A is 200 watts and the Jubal is only 75. Is this correct? if so that would make a huge difference.

grumpy
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Probably more to do with a change in -how- they were rated, than any real such increase
(e.g., "peak music power" vs steady state sine wave ... the former giving the voice coils
time to cool off between peaks)