PDA

View Full Version : Raising 4350's by moding the cabs

j20056
09-10-2009, 05:31 AM
I plan to raise my 4350's by about 12 inches to properly line up the high-mid and high tranducers to my seated listening position.
What I was thinking is to have my carpenter use pretty wide wood pieces to create an elevated base as an empty rectangular frame that would be glued and/or screwed into the base of the cabinets. Currently, there is a such a small base which is about 2 inches tall, made of smaller caliber wood.
Do you guys see any issues in doing something like that? Is it better to glue it or to screw it or both? Other recommendations?

BMWCCA
09-10-2009, 05:50 AM
I think I'd just make a base to set them on without modifying the original cabinets or putting any screw-holes in them. But that's just me. Here's what's popular with Kenrick's restos and repros in Japan. Check out the 435x in the back left:
http://www.jbl43.net/img/4344-69-4s.jpg

Doc Mark
09-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Evening, All,

I had a friend who, back in the day, had a brick support wall made to raise his 4350's! It looked wonderful, but unfortunately, his five year old son decided to take a pair of Dad's drum sticks, one afternoon, and beat the cones out of all four woofers!! Just the right height, you know....!! :blink::blink::spchless: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc