PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used or auditioned the HT-1 THX system

Big Orange Jeff
09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a chance to get almost an entire 7.1 system for a song, but they're a day's drive each way.

If you've used or heard this system, what are your thoughts, both for music (stereo and multi) and for HT? I won't have time to critically assess them, I'll mostly be checking them for physical appearance and basic functionality before I make a buying decision.

Is the HT-1, in your opinion(s) a decent system, or would I just be wasting my time?

Thanks

JBL 4645
09-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I have only heard the JBL HT THX at showroom back around early 1990’s. I liked the warmth of the tone. I have just one HT-1F that was sold only as pair but only had enough at the time to buy one. About a week later they sold the last one to another customer. (first come first served so the other person only ended up with 1) LOL.

I think I paid £60.00 pounds for my JBL HT-1F.

So if the price is right don’t hesitate.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's%20Manual/HT1F%20om.pdf (http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner's%20Manual/HT1F%20om.pdf)

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/images/products/Ht1f.jpg (http://www.jbl.com/home/products/images/products_small/Ht1f.jpg)
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=HT1f&CheckProduct=Y

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Product%20Information/synht.pdf

Big Orange Jeff
09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks, 4645.

The price is most definitely right. I just wanted to make sure this was an honest effort by JBL and not more HTIB crap. Thanks for your input. I'll have to make it a road trip on an upcoming weekend.

Cheers,
Jeff

HCSGuy
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I used to sell that set, as well as its precursor with the huge passive subwoofers. I think we sold the speakers for $3k for the set, plus $3k for the THX preamp and power amp. Unfortunately, as with all the early THX speakers, they used driver interaction to limit the vertical dispersion, per THX's requirements. As such, they do not image at all (look up reviews on the first B&W THX set with similar driver layout - Yuck and really expensive!) They may sound OK for a 5.1 video setup, but any of the standard design bookshelf speakers will probably sound better for music. These did not use the drivers of the L-series that were their contemporaries, either, but are build off the LX series with stamped frames and vinyl wrapped enclosures.

I will leave it to you to decide if it's worth the day's drive each way (I've driven for less), but the speakers will never be collectable and can't be parted out for any worthwhile money. For a couple hundred bucks, they may be fun to play with, though...

Titanium Dome
09-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree they can do a decent job as HT, but music is not a strong suit.

Big Orange Jeff
09-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Thats, again, for the great insight.

This is for the kids' game room, being driven by a mid-level Onkyo HT receiver. Probably 80% of the time will be movies and gaming. I figured this would be a nice system for them - at least it will give them bragging rights in the neighborhood. Besides, when they do listen to music, they're not exactly listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle on a Deutsche Grammophon audiophile disc.

HCSGuy
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I remember them being pretty low in efficiency, so don't be surprised when your kids start pointing out craigslist ads for used power amps...does your Onkyo amp have preamp outs?

As for your children's tastes, I'm sure you're as disappointed as the rest of us. Currently, my 6 and 8 yr old daughters are sequestered in their rooms until they've finished their summer project - a new portuguese libretto for Die Fledermaus...

Big Orange Jeff
09-05-2009, 01:31 PM
My kids actually have a pretty broad taste, thanks to being exposed to a lot of different music. While they prefer the new stuff (particularly around their friends), some of dad's music is actually on their iPods.

The Onkyo does have pre-outs but, owing to the size of the room, this set should fill it nicely. Now all I have to do is find a center channel. I'm going to look for a lone HT-1F, so I'll have a matching set. Until then, they can use one of my old 62T's.

HCSGuy
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Truth be told, my daughter was running around yesterday singing Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n'Roll", but she had the words wrong and was singing "Put another dime in the juice box, Baby" :)

I think I've seen singles show up on Ebay, but the freight was about the same as the speaker. Good luck, and I hope your kids appreciate the drive you're doing on their behalf.

Titanium Dome
09-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Should be pretty great for the kids. I didn't have anything near as nice when I was growing but. (But I'm kinda old. ;) ) Just to have a stereo was amazing in my circle of friends.

Who knows? It might start them on the road to deeper enthusiasm for both hi-fi and JBLs.:bouncy:

Big Orange Jeff
09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Trust me, it wasn't my original plan to put something together like this. I was just going to find a decent HTIB. BTW, is that an oxymoron? ;)

When I learned about this HT-1 system, though, the price was just too good to pass up. After I make the road trip to pick it up, I'll fill you in on the details. Hopefully, the kiddos will appreciate it.

JBL 4645
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I think UK price was £1500? I’d have to look for the review in the magazine which I still have.

dadox
04-24-2011, 02:39 AM
In my opinion I think this Thx system give more by his price. And it's a really immersive audio -experience doing a multichannel SACD-session with it!
:bouncy:

hjames
04-24-2011, 05:34 AM
In my opinion I think this Thx system give more by his price. And it's a really immersive audio -experience doing a multichannel SACD-session with it!
:bouncy:

Well, its a 90s system, so the tech is somewhat dated, to say the least ...
But if its not too worn out, it ought to be ok for movies and TV surround.

I wouldn't expect to enjoy music through it tho ...

Titanium Dome
04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Wow! It truly is Easter, and this thread was resurrected from the dead.

hjames
04-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Expect somebody is selling a pair somewhere and wants to raise their page rankings!

JBL 4645
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I guess the thread is the living thr-dead. :D

Get a priest to perform an exorcism on the thread. :p

The power of JBL compels you. The power of JBL compels you.