PDA

View Full Version : 4 ways active crossover suggestion for Westlake HR-7

mgm
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
i have a chance to pick up a WestLake Studio Version of HR-7, however it come without a crossover network

i need to look at some good quality / audiophile grade 4 ways active crossover...

i never use a active crossover..in the past.. wish to have some advice...

thx..

Robh3606
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Contact Westlake and see about a crossover for them. You can't use a generic.

Rob:)

grumpy
09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Yep:

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Professional_Series/accessories.html

Although Ken P might have some words to offer on using DEQX units
with Westlake products.

mgm
09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
thx..thx..thx..i think we can use a generic.., i prefer a good quality analog crossover..

KEN P did give me soem excellent advice..

boputnam
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
A highly worthy contender would be the xta 424 or 448 (http://www.xta.uk.com/products-series4.html). These are astonishing units. I have grown to consider them audiophile quality (although many in that realm are expectedly reeling with that qualification...). Incredible sonic quality; unsurpassed control. In one post I cannot expound sufficiently on these. I own three 448's for SR applications; but if I was doing what you are doing for the home, I would own four.. :)

Mr. Widget
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
A highly worthy contender would be the xta 424 or 448 (http://www.xta.uk.com/products-series4.html). These are astonishing units. I have grown to consider them audiophile quality...I see they have digital in and out so if your really wanted audiophile quality it could be done with an outboard A to D and a series of high quality DACs.

Widget

jerry_rig
09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I see they have digital in and out so if your really wanted audiophile quality it could be done with an outboard A to D and a series of high quality DACs.

It also has analogue in/out using onboard AD/DA converters. Would outboard converters make much of a difference? Just curious, as I have not seen many comments about the audio quality of digital x-overs. They offer many benefits, but I would hate to compromise audio quality in the process.

Mr. Widget
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
It also has analogue in/out using onboard AD/DA converters. Would outboard converters make much of a difference?Even an iPod has a built in DAC. :D

Would it make much of a difference?

In absolute terms, no.
However for those who are after excellence, spending several grand to make a "slight" improvement is money well spent.

Widget

Mannermusic
09-06-2009, 03:30 PM
i have a chance to pick up a WestLake Studio Version of HR-7, however it come without a crossover network

i need to look at some good quality / audiophile grade 4 ways active crossover...

i never use a active crossover..in the past.. wish to have some advice...

thx..

Check out www.marchandelec.com. Tubes or solid state, can custom design if needed. Worthwhile advice, technical explanation - how active crossovers work, etc.

mikeharris
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
the Westlake crossover is quite pricey...the XTA is one of the better options