PDA

View Full Version : Dampening pad - where to buy?

mikeraj
08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I need to replace the dampening pads in my L800 and Sat2 speakers. I am not sure if these pads are still available from JBL? If they're not, where can I purchase a suitable pad (foam or felt) so that I can cut them out? Thanks!

mikeraj
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Mannermusic, it's kinda funny that I received an email notification of your post but I don't see it here. So, I'll just reproduce it here.

----------------------------------------------------

Happened to see the post - yes, are those old foam dampers (or whatever they are called) for the vintage drivers still available? If not, what's the recommended replacement? My 30 yr. old 375s are as you describe above! Mike

I believe these are the only two left. Top one is the 375/376/2440/2441 which you have to cut down to fit in the LE175/2410/LE85/2420/2421.

60398 DAMPENER PAD, POLYESTER,GRA $6.18
61286 DAMPENER PAD, 2425 $2.94

There has to be a better material than this crap... it's real neato for a few years but then it goes rogue.

mikeraj
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I think my best bet will be to get some kind of felt lining. Has anyone used felt before? Could you recommend what type of felt to use and where to get it? Thanks

Mannermusic
09-01-2009, 05:19 AM
I think my best bet will be to get some kind of felt lining. Has anyone used felt before? Could you recommend what type of felt to use and where to get it? Thanks

Sorry about the confusion:blink: - I deleted the post after I realized these PNs apparently do not apply to L800 or Sat2. However, you could possibly modify them to fit your app. There is no "approved" felt or other material that I am aware of - I have some acoustic matting from an old speaker system (for example) that would probably be OK . . . it needs to be something that won't flake and/or otherwise degrade/fall apart. You need a high quality 3M cement (automotive trim cement would probably be good). I used the PN 60398 which was a perfect fit for my old 375 drivers. My local JBL pro ordered them for me and has always been extremely helpful - my #1 recommendation would be to look up your nearest pro and ask him what he recommends - he probably has stuff on hand. How about some carpet backing or similar? Mike :blah:

Earl K
09-01-2009, 05:28 AM

- Altec used felt in the backs of their older compression drivers .
- Felt shoe insoles can be cut up to act as a "sonic sponge" ( within a compression drivers' backcap ). Costs a buck .
- Felt ( consisting of a recycled mass of thread fiber ) is easiest ( IME ) to find at those "dollar stores" ( specializing in cheap imports from China ) .

- "Frigge the Foam" / recycle ! .

>< cheers :)

mikeraj
09-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Ebay has some nice 1/8" felt with adhesive backing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280379133162&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 I am also looking at black thermal insulation rubber which is spongy and definitely very lasting.

Mannermusic
09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Ebay has some nice 1/8" felt with adhesive backing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280379133162&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 I am also looking at black thermal insulation rubber which is spongy and definitely very lasting.

Excellent - buy the whole roll and go into business selling comp. driver cap inserts! And, as an SAE engineered material, you know it is a serious product - and the built-in adhesive backing solves the attachment problem. The JBL inserts are simlar with a self adhesive included. Good show.

hvengel
01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Mannermusic, it's kinda funny that I received an email notification of your post but I don't see it here. So, I'll just reproduce it here.

----------------------------------------------------

Happened to see the post - yes, are those old foam dampers (or whatever they are called) for the vintage drivers still available? If not, what's the recommended replacement? My 30 yr. old 375s are as you describe above! Mike

I believe these are the only two left. Top one is the 375/376/2440/2441 which you have to cut down to fit in the LE175/2410/LE85/2420/2421.

60398 DAMPENER PAD, POLYESTER,GRA $6.18
61286 DAMPENER PAD, 2425 $2.94

There has to be a better material than this crap... it's real neato for a few years but then it goes rogue.

Just an quick follow up. I needed to replace the damping pads on my LE85 drivers and found this post with part numbers. I just called the JBL parts number (818-894-8850) and was directed to JBLPro. They were able to handle getting these out to me and it only took perhaps 3 minutes to complete the transaction. So the damper pads for the 1 inch drivers is still available and there is no need to cut down the damper pads from the 2 inch drivers. Total cost including shipping was just over $12 (shipping was more than the parts). Going forward I will make it a practice to replace the pads every two to three years to keep them fresh and to avoid the mess they create when they deteriorate since doing this is cheap.

I am replacing my 40 year old diaphragms and with the new damping pads am hoping that these sound as good as they did back when they were new.

more10
01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Altec used felt in the backs of their older compression drivers

I have heard rumors that dampening the back chamber with Twaron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twaron) makes titanium diaphragms sound like aluminium. Anyone tried this?

Mannermusic
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Just an quick follow up. I needed to replace the damping pads on my LE85 drivers and found this post with part numbers. I just called the JBL parts number (818-894-8850) and was directed to JBLPro. They were able to handle getting these out to me and it only took perhaps 3 minutes to complete the transaction. So the damper pads for the 1 inch drivers is still available and there is no need to cut down the damper pads from the 2 inch drivers. Total cost including shipping was just over $12 (shipping was more than the parts). Going forward I will make it a practice to replace the pads every two to three years to keep them fresh and to avoid the mess they create when they deteriorate since doing this is cheap.

I am replacing my 40 year old diaphragms and with the new damping pads am hoping that these sound as good as they did back when they were new.

That's good news. And I don't think they are that fragile, more like 10+ years. I suspect the thing that happens is they change vendors and the material is not quite the same. I know Giskard has had bad luck in the past but it seems to vary with individual experience. I'd just check 'em occasionally. Mike