PDA

View Full Version : 4435 transport-questions

demon
08-27-2009, 08:03 AM
hi there!

today i got the chance to buy a very nice pair of 4435 monitors, and im very happy about that.
im not so happy facing the weight and size of these bruisers while getting them from one vintage-no-elevator-flat to the next vintage-no-elevator-flat.
any experience transporting these?
every advice highly appreciated!!

thanks,
mikey

pos
08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
are they going to kill the M A C H I N E ? :(

Robh3606
08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I have never moved around a pair of those however JBL drivers tend to be quite heavy so I usually remove them from the cabinet if I can. With those out of the cabinet it would shave at least 60lbs off and you wouldn't have to worry about a dinged woofer or chipped/cracked horn. Also narrow the cabinet down a bit with the butt checks not sticking out. Get a good furniture dolly/handtruck and some moving blankets to wrap them in and a couple of strong friends. You could probably hire a mover if you don't feel up to it.

Good Luck

Rob:)

hjames
08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Holy guacamole!
You've got to post pictures once you get those MONSTERS setup in your room!

See http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

hi there!

today i got the chance to buy a very nice pair of 4435 monitors, and im very happy about that.
im not so happy facing the weight and size of these bruisers while getting them from one vintage-no-elevator-flat to the next vintage-no-elevator-flat.

thanks,
mikey

demon
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
thanks!

1. yes, the LFdrivers will be removed, but im not sure about the horns yet. the speakers have never been touched yet and are truly mint, so i dont really want to remove them. but you are totally right, handling would be much better i guess.

2. noooo, 'machine' cant be killed, because its not a single entitiy but an open minded community of drivers (secretly controlled by some kinda, like, mastermind or something). the 12" will vanish, yes, but theres some 15s taking over the work (good thing)
of course i take pictures, no question they will be posted.

thanks for this, and further help.
mikey

SteveW
08-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Robh3606 is spot on. Had to move mine a rediculous amount of times. The cabs are then able to be moved about by two normal guys without trouble. A dolly with just one guy is a no-go. The overhanging weight is still too much.

The horns are painless to remove and that's a whole lot less pain than cracked horns. They want to collide into everything nearby as their installed weight easily topples the cabinet over.

demon
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
thanks steve for your input.
now i have further questions:

1. any suggestions for transport-boxes for the LF drivers?
i know im overly specific here but by any chance does anyone know a trick like buying an IKEA plastic box fitting exactly a typical JBL 15"..? no? dang.

1a. same question for the horns. i see its very short (165mm), so it shouldnt be a problem.

2. are there any cables to de-solder or is it all plugged to the chassis? (for what i know theres all terminals no soldering)

3. i want to move the cabinets in horizontal position, but if thats impossible i may have to lay them on their sides. i guess the structure is steady enough for that?

see, i dont own a car and its all like a trip to the moon for me planning this little get together -and im in a hurry also. the drivers travel first, the cabinets wil go a few days later.

cheers,
mikey

rgwalker
08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
hi there!

thanks,
mikey

Pay to have them moved professionally. You'll be glad that you did and it shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred, which will be small change compared to the disappointment of damaging them in transit.

Bob W

ratitifb
08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
take great care while you lie the cabinet on ground : never depose it on one edge (or corner it's evident) and always depose cabinet flat on one side on a very flat clean surface with some clean cardboard layers placed before in order to absorb any small groung irregularity. Don't hesitate to use all the blankets of your bedrooms :p

In that way my new 4343 got home yesterday after a trip of arround 2500km without any issue :bouncy:

Only a monster backache for me :biting:

demon
08-29-2009, 01:11 AM
hello!

yes im really concerned about damaging the cabinets. as i said, they are freaking mint. they had a beautiful time as the final system of a real old-school-audiophile, they have been purchased new in 1986.

what im doing is:
i will wrap up the empty cabs in bubblewrap, support the edges with cardboard and fix it real hard onto a dolly with packing straps (those used with trailers). the dolly will be the main handling base.
and i changed the destination, i wont take them home (forth floor no elevator) but store them in a rented place. so its only one level we have to move em down, the rest of the journey is barriere-free.
i want a new flat anyway and the speakers will have to wait a little... :(

thanks for all the input.

cheers,
mikey

mech986
08-29-2009, 04:41 AM
For transport boxes consider a local tire and wheel store, they will have boxes in excess of 15" diameter and usually very sturdy to hold wheels. However, with the trend these days beyond 18" wheels, likely the boxes will be TOO big!

You can also find moving boxes that should be the correct size.

Whatever you do, be sure to line the bottom of the box with either a cut to fit flat piece of cardboard or thin plywood that you could bolt the woofer to. The inner flaps of a cardboard box can sometimes be raised enough to indent or damage the outer frame gasket or the surround (don't ask me how I know this :banghead: :biting: !!).

I would not use bubble wrap for the cabinet because its very unwieldly and costly in the quantity you'd need (unless you already have it available. Instead, large moving or shipping blankets would be easier. You can usually rent these from a DIY moving company.

I would second the idea of paying someone to move these, much easier with the proper vehicle and then you also have help to move them into storage or you current flat. Keeping them on furniture dollies is a good idea as you don't have to put them off and then load them back on. For the cost of two dollies, very easy to do!

Good luck, send us some pics before you take them apart!

Regards,

Bart

demon
08-30-2009, 02:19 AM
ok, so found 3 boxes to put the woofers in. the trick was to think really really hard and find that i still have the boxes from my 18" hidden in my appartment...one box is missing tough.
the bubblewrap thing is a little fetish i guess, and i already bought it. i have blankets too.

yesterday i got the wheel-platforms and tried to build a big and stable base out of them, but i found that the screws in the wood probably weaken the base to much so will use the platforms as single pieces.

the gig is next saturday, and i feel already quite exited.

cheers,
mikey

demon
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Good luck, send us some pics before you take them apart!
yes i understand, take some pictures befor i crash them ;)
--today i took out the woofers and also took some pictures. unfortunatly under very bad light, so i dont dare to post them. but everything looks good and worked fine, now the woofers are already sitting in the repairshop and are waiting for their surrounds arriving from the states. whee!

cheers,
mikey

demon
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
hey hey!

today was the day and, to quote the ol' HAL9K: "everything is going extremely well" ...or was going extremely well, because its all done and the cabinets are sitting comfy in my storage-living-room.
heres what weve done:
emptied the cabinet from the LF drivers, horn and compressiondriver, wrapped it in bubbles and supported the edges with cardboard. getting the horn out was tricky because the rubbersealing was so sticky it didnt move at all at first and i was scared of pushin it to hard. but steady pressure made it come off soon.
i made holes into the wrap and cardboard so to get a grip into the cutouts in the baffle. their edges were supported with wrap to give it a nice handle and ban scratches.
also the packingstraps gave a nice handling grip (use symmetrical).
i moved a lot of stuff in my life already and can only recommend wearing solid gloves to get the full grip without hesitating. its comfortable!
after the preparations, the rest was an easy flying pair of monstermains. lots of stairs, but with two people helping me out it was really just like a walk in the park, full with cakes, a cakewalk. it was nice, no kidding.
i like to extend many thanks to both my grunts now: thanks boys! it was really moving today! ;)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/mikeysound/jbl%204435/P1100546web999pack.jpg

...ive overcome my fear of mains :)

cheers,
mikey

Titanium Dome
09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Hooray! and well done. Slow and steady wins the race. Take the time to do things right and they work out well nearly every time.

demon
09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
yes you are absoluteley right! commitment - preparation - action. in that order.
i just sold off my infinity kappa 8 as a bargain, and drove around the 4435wagons in my room once more. i like the format, i like the weight on the wheels -i almost feel like a train conductor.
:)
i still cant really grasp that it all went so extremely smooth.

cheers,
mikey