PDA

View Full Version : L112 or L166

Wagner
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
If you had to choose between these two, and only these two, which one would it be?
The L112 or the L166? The "why" is optional; I'm more interested in the number of votes respectively.

Thank you for your participation with this and your indulgence,
Thomas

midlife
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't really think this will help but, I have L166s (no glareing defficiencies, I like them!) and have not been able to hear L112s or do anything related to an a-b comparison.

Wagner
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't really think this will help but, I have L166s (no glareing defficiencies, I like them!) and have not been able to hear L112s or do anything related to an a-b comparison.

You're right, it's not. :D
Thomas

midlife
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
You're right, it's not. :D
Thomas
Well I tried. If, from the info I have read on the forum and I am understanding it correctly the L112s might be considered as a more bass efficient L96. Where as the L166s could be viewed as a much improved L100. It's probably safe to say you wouldn't be disappointed with either of these larger bookshelf speakers. :)

Wagner
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Well I tried. If, from the info I have read on the forum and I am understanding it correctly the L112s might be considered as a more bass efficient L96. Where as the L166s could be viewed as a much improved L100. It's probably safe to say you wouldn't be disappointed with either of these larger bookshelf speakers. :)

I've edited my original question in hopes it will be more clear.
It's an "either, or" proposition I'm interested in hearing some statistical feedback on.
Thanks for playing! ;)
Thomas

SEAWOLF97
08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I found this post on AK from our own Don McR on the L166
(only because it was quoted in this CL ad)

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/1300603278.html

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7528

If you want something more refined, go for the JBL's. They aren't as efficient, but to my ears, are much more neutral and just as dynamic. As Shane said, the JBL 166's are one of the highest regarded JBL bookshelf speakers, and sell for a premium. Mint pairs can fetch $800 or more on Ebay. Cheaper options include 4312's, L112's, and my personal favorite, the rare L110.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031573747&category=14993)

$375 is a steal for what is arguably the most accurate JBL bookshelf made in the 70's. __________________
Regards

Don McRitchie
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website

SMKSoundPro
08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
love my l110's!!

scotty.

JBL 4645
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I had to have peek at the two contenders in Google image and like the look of the JBL L112.

Wagner
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I had to have peek at the two contenders in Google image and like the look of the JBL L112.

Yes, very beautiful, and I appreciate that they are "mirrored".
The L166 is no slouch as well in the looks department when "nude", although I do not appreciate the "egg crate" aesthetic as much as I do cloth on an interesting frame. I did my L100s in cloth when I restored them, leaving the foam option open with my solution.
Dust and dirt is factor where I live, so grilles do see regular service when the systems are not in use.
Irrelevant to sound I know, but still a nice thing for me when I can enjoy the "transducer condoms" ;)

Thomas

SEAWOLF97
08-27-2009, 11:00 AM
YI do not appreciate the "egg crate" aesthetic as much as I do cloth on an interesting frame.

its an acquired taste , for sure ...but is very acoustically transparent..cud never hear diff when grills on/off.

JBL 4645
08-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes, very beautiful, and I appreciate that they are "mirrored".
The L166 is no slouch as well in the looks department when "nude", although I do not appreciate the "egg crate" aesthetic as much as I do cloth on an interesting frame. I did my L100s in cloth when I restored them, leaving the foam option open with my solution.
Dust and dirt is factor where I live, so grilles do see regular service when the systems are not in use.
Irrelevant to sound I know, but still a nice thing for me when I can enjoy the "transducer condoms" ;)

Thomas

Well get an oxygen tank that should keep dust out and keep it pumping with pure oxygen.:D

I bet that HF on the L112 is seriously loud.

Does JBL still supply parts for these speakers?

AmericanPie
08-27-2009, 10:25 PM
its an acquired taste , for sure ...but is very acoustically transparent..cud never hear diff when grills on/off.

They're also an asset when contending with furry critters in the house. Cats don't give them a second look, but they seem to love sharpening their claws on cloth grills :blink:.

JBL 4645
08-27-2009, 10:38 PM
They're also an asset when contending with furry critters in the house. Cats don't give them a second look, but they seem to love sharpening their claws on cloth grills :blink:.

Try not to get your cats curiosity with new items in the home because cats would be sniffing around it before you had the chance in securing it. They’ll strip it and clean it bone dry in minutes!

And the only thing you’ll see is the HF passing out of its backside the next-day in the litter tray!:D

Fortunate enough my cat is, only into tissues! Sounds kinky doesn’t it! Seriously he’ll even go sniffing for a used tissue out of my trouser pocket that’s how obsessed my cat is about tissues, he doesn’t give a hoot about speakers anymore.

brutal
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Are you expecting votes on looks and aesthetics, or actual listening comparisons from those that have/had owned both?

I have both and my vote goes to the L112.

That's not to say the L166 has any serious shortcomings. The L112 has a better network, better imaging, and harder hitting bass. I consider it a more refined system.

Wagner
08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Are you expecting votes on looks and aesthetics, or actual listening comparisons from those that have/had owned both?

I have both and my vote goes to the L112.

That's not to say the L166 has any serious shortcomings. The L112 has a better network, better imaging, and harder hitting bass. I consider it a more refined system.

It would be more meaningful (and my purpose) if the votes were indeed based on actual listening comparisons (opinions) from those that have/had owned both.

I am aware that there is quite a bit of love for the L166 ;).

Although looks can be a factor with some, it is my guess that for the most part sound trumps aesthetics for the majority of members here at Lansing Heritage.

The grille comments were a pleasant digression. ;)

Thank you for your participation!

Thomas

LRBacon
08-29-2009, 11:02 AM
L110s? Not so rare here.

I can't vote on my preference since I haven't heard either one in years. The closest thing I've heard to an L112 is the L96. I still prefer the L110 over the L96.

Larry

Wagner
08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
L110s? Not so rare here.

I can't vote on my preference since I haven't heard either one in years. The closest thing I've heard to an L112 is the L96. I still prefer the L110 over the L96.

Larry

Ah so...........but it's the L112 and the L166 under discussion here. ;)

Thomas

Wagner
09-01-2009, 06:46 PM
It's a close one.
Interesting. :)
Thomas

Audiobeer
09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
To my ears if you have power in reserve the L-166 is a no brainer. I have owned both and enjoyed both. Everyone has thier own preferences. Good luck on your decision.

Wagner
09-25-2009, 05:04 PM
To everyone that took the time to participate and vote on this.

As I have stated elsewhere, this has been the Spring and Summer of JBL acquisition, or so it seems.

A clean pair of L166s popped up about a week after I had brought home the L112s.

I know the L166 is a fine system, as is the "112", but I was trying to help ascertain through the gathering of as much subjective data (sans editorial, which can prove confusing at times to the uninitiated as well as be quite the time vampire) as I could from knowledgeable folks if the difference would prove significant enough for me to justify yet another pair or orphans, on top of the (7) pairs of JBL already living with me. And still, who knows?

I do know this is all purely anecdotal, and proves nothing, but with the extremely high level of experience available at this forum for this particular maker, a trend does help make passing on a pair (that I really couldn't afford to bring home now anyway) less painful.

I am actually pleased that it was a close race. I won't second guess my decision to not pull the trigger on the L166s so much. Another pair will turn up when I'm in better shape.

Even though I'm sure I could have made room for them! ;)

Thank you again,
Thomas