PDA

View Full Version : Tuning JBL 4673 "Clone"

HemiMoparGuy198
08-25-2009, 08:56 PM
After a tremendous amoutn of help and advice from a few other threads, I am finally the proud owner of a set cloned 4673's put together with the separate components. I've read numerous posts about people "tuning" their system. I was wondering what all that entails. Do you hook up an oscilloscope and tweak until it shows exactly what you want on the screen? Or is there other ways that everyone does it?

HemiMoparGuy198
08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Back in high school I had a special CD for tuning the bass in my (and friends) car stereos. Does anyone use something like that to tune their home system anything similar to mine?

robertbartsch
08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
...I beleive this is most often done using a computer program that uses variables like box size, box type, port size, etc. to determine box tuning.

Practicly speaking, once your box has been constructed you tuning options are limited.

HemiMoparGuy198
08-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Well my setup is all "original" components. Not original like the exact serial numbers from the factory, but original like the cabinet/driver, crossover, horn/driver are all the exact models that were engineered to be used in a 4673. So with that said, I shouldn't have to tune my system if I understood you correctly?

HemiMoparGuy198
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
What about tuning the phase like if you have one speaker closer than the other. I know there is a knob to adjust it, but do you just play it by ear, or is there actually a way to measure it to make sure it is exact?

robertbartsch
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm not a tuning expert.

I assume if you copied the dementions of the factory box and used a similar sized port(s), and used the same factory driver, then your cab is "tuned" to where the factory believed is optimum for your driver.

If you want to learn more about tuning, search here for other threads that discuss this topic.