PDA

View Full Version : 4311WX ... black?? ... possible !?

gugsi
08-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Hi

i have a pair 4311WX, ... the normaly should be walnut .... because the are black.... looks like the front and rear side.... 100% the same color

is it possible that JBL but the wrong numberplate on my JBLs ???

here a picture

http://s4.directupload.net/images/090825/temp/gd5ep5o8.jpg (http://s4.directupload.net/file/d/1897/gd5ep5o8_jpg.htm)

greetings from austria
gugsi

BMWCCA
08-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Umm, I think photos of the sides, and top and bottom might me more revealing. :D

gugsi
08-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Umm, I think photos of the sides, and top and bottom might me more revealing. :D

hello

o.k. here some more pictures

:cheers:

http://s5.directupload.net/images/090825/temp/a9o2b386.jpg (http://s5.directupload.net/file/d/1897/a9o2b386_jpg.htm)

http://s7.directupload.net/images/090825/temp/u8lhyud2.jpg (http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/1897/u8lhyud2_jpg.htm)

greetings
gugsi

grumpy
08-25-2009, 06:56 AM
often these were painted for custom installations... e.g., many were sold off
in such condition after the closing of a large US chain of recorded music stores.

gugsi
08-25-2009, 08:57 AM
is it possible that the walnut finish is under the black color? ... did anybody have the same? .... 4311WX = black ???

grumpy
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
that's what I'm suggesting... WX = walnut.

There are stories/examples here in this forum somewhere, I believe many such
black-painted cabinets were obtained from Tower Records, while they were
selling off their assets.

gugsi
08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
that's what I'm suggesting... WX = walnut.

There are stories/examples here in this forum somewhere, I believe many such
black-painted cabinets were obtained from Tower Records, while they were
selling off their assets.

Okay and thank you

i would like to try remove the black color.... to see what is behind :bouncy: .... i will beginn on the rear side

grumpy
08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd try the bottom, the back panel is not likely to be veneered.

robertbartsch
08-25-2009, 09:25 AM
I not a cabinet maker but I would guess that removing black paint from veneer is a tall order.

A chemical paint remover may get most but not all of it off. Sanding using a super fine paper might be succesful in getting most of the rest of it off but the veneer is thin.

I would ask others here that have more experience than I before attempting this.

gugsi
08-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I not a cabinet maker but I would guess that removing black paint from veneer is a tall order.

A chemical paint remover may get most but not all of it off. Sanding using a super fine paper might be succesful in getting most of the rest of it off but the veneer is thin.

I would ask others here that have more experience than I before attempting this.

thank you .... i will wait for some more answers ... :)

i have many time :bouncy:

57BELAIRE
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
If the black finish is tolerable, I'd leave it be.

You might find after all the work removimg it that the result
is disappointing...and end up painting them all over again.

Just my humble opinion

grumpy
08-25-2009, 09:56 AM
If someone here has better recall than I, perhaps the story, with pictures
will pop up. I just can't remember who did this... maybe a few years ago?

At least you could then see if they had problems sanding through the veneer
or were successful...

... of course it could also be that the previous owner sprayed them black to
cover up problems with the veneer. :dont-know

Good news: it's not all that hard to re-spray something in a non-gloss black finish.

hjames
08-25-2009, 09:56 AM
thank you .... i will wait for some more answers ... :)

i have many time :bouncy:

Forget stripping all that paint -= Why not just reveneer them?
The advantage of that is you are not limited to Walnut - you can use any finish you prefer!

Here's a look at the 4312A speakers I had briefly in late 2005 - they had the factory black finish.

grumpy
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
good point... also appears it was 4412's that came from Tower Records,
but -someone- here took a stab at refinishing a black-sprayed walnut pair...
:)

Titanium Dome
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Forget stripping all that paint -= Why not just reveneer them?
The advantage of that is you are not limited to Walnut - you can use any finish you prefer!

This is by far the best suggestion with the best end result.

gugsi
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks to all ...

The nameplate has been superior to me, but I'll leave it, although I would be curious :bouncy:

i hope my words are right... i help me with google translate :D ... my english is okay, for the important things.... but not the best ;)

greetings from austria
gugsi

robertbartsch
08-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I assume a new veneer finish on a pair of 4311s would cost several hundred bucks done by a pro - but that is a guess.

If the boxes are in good shape, perhaps the best thing to do is the least evasive. ...light sanding with a super fine paper and re-shoot with black paint???

hjames
08-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I assume a new veneer finish on a pair of 4311s would cost several hundred bucks done by a pro - but that is a guess.

If the boxes are in good shape, perhaps the best thing to do is the least evasive. ...light sanding with a super fine paper and re-shoot with black paint???

A veneer job in Austria might be a bit cheaper than the same job in the US.

Also, folks that go for the "Piano black" finish generally use some kind of filler and/or finishing putty (kind of like Bondo is for cars) to fill in the irregularities and the grain, and get a dead smooth finish before painting. The trick to a perfect paint job is how much time your spend in prep getting the surfaces glass-like BEFORE you shoot the paint.

BMWCCA
08-25-2009, 07:25 PM
One thing for sure, it won't affect the sound!

I'd make damn sure you're enamored enough with the system before you do anything drastic with them. Didn't you just get them? So how do you like them so far? :dont-know

gugsi
08-26-2009, 12:51 AM
it all sounds to much work and effort of my purse ;)

black is also nice, and my pair looks really good .... mille grazie :) for the many postīs

i have bought my pair from the first owner in may 2009, i love the sound form the JBLs .... i hope i get any time a bigger monitor like the 4315 :bouncy:

BMWCCA
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
i have bought my pair from the first owner in may 2009, i love the sound form the JBLs ....Well, the first owner should know the answer. Why not ask them what kind of spray paint he used on the cabinets? ;)

Glad you're enjoying them. This is one case where there's truth to the old claim that it "doesn't affect the sound"!

demon
08-26-2009, 07:42 AM
hey gugsi!!

just spare the time thinking about making your 4311 prettier, because in a year, at the latest, you will have some biggo 4way-monitors anyway. its always the same story, believe me. i know the system.

:)

cheers--
mikey

gugsi
08-27-2009, 07:19 AM
the first owner bought the 4311 in black ... year was 1978/79 in germany .... he downt know about the things with the numberplate... were these black beautys callt 4311 WX :)

@demon
hi... landsmann :D .... if it should be, sometime sure there will stand bigger monitors at my home.... may be 4315A .... i like them :bouncy:

greetings
gugsi