PDA

View Full Version : Since CDs are a digital format...

robertbartsch
08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Since CDs are a digital format, I thought all CD players were about the same.

If not, what are the variables between the good, bad, and ugly?

Thx.

Fred Sanford
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Since CDs are a digital format, I thought all CD players were about the same.

If not, what are the variables between the good, bad, and ugly?

Thx.

How well they convert their digital information to their analog outputs can very quite a bit.

je

robertbartsch
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Most CD players have optical outputs which I assume allows another component in your system to (1) convert the digital signal to anolog, or (2) play the digital signal without conversion; right?

Mr. Widget
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
(2) play the digital signal without conversion; right?I'd suggest "pass the digital signal" is more like it... or modify it. You must convert the signal before you can listen to it of course.

Most better digital components have an AES/EBU or S/PDIF type of digital out using an XLR or RCA connector. Some of the newest gear are now using HDMI outputs as well.

Widget

jcrobso
08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Most CD players have optical outputs which I assume allows another component in your system to (1) convert the digital signal to anolog, or (2) play the digital signal without conversion; right?
What separates CD players is how they convert the digital to analog. In the early days of CD players many sounded very harsh and the highs could get on your nerves. But over the years oversampling and 1 bit decoders and high quality analog filters cured most of the problems.
To hear the digital audio it must be converted to analog, the digital output gives you a choice of where it is converted. John

1audiohack
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Try this on.

http://www.mlssa.com/pdf/Upsampling-theory-rev-2.pdf