PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for L80T?

riker1384
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of L80T that appear to be in great condition, in the $100 ballpark, and was wondering if I should go for it. My first instinct was that $100 for a pair of JBL pro-quality 3-ways was a steal, but I searched here and some people think they aren't that great.

I used to have a pair of L166 that I inherited and fixed up. The power of those things was amazing.. They were a little harsh and colored, though. I wound up selling them. I was hoping maybe if I got the L80 they would have a similar level of power, and maybe somewhat better fidelity since they're newer than the L166.

I have some good, modern hi-fi speakers, but they don't have the same ability to rock the house.

I was wondering, do guys think I should go for it? Also, I've heard people say the L80T3 is better. Is it likely I would be able to find an L80T3 crossover to install in them, at some point?

hjames
08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a pair of L100T speakers. I paid Lansing member Duaneage to upgrade my L100T crossovers to L100T3 specs. Made quite a nice difference in the sound - much more refined and less shrill.
You could send him a PM and ask him what he'd charge to modify your L80T crossovers to the newer L80T3 specs.

BMWCCA
08-23-2009, 06:12 PM
They're fine speakers and certainly worth $100, especially if they're in good shape. You can always mod the existing crossovers if you find that necessary. I haven't tried it to see if the improvement is worth the trouble. I did do the Gordon W. modifications which were extending the port tube by 1.5" and stuffing an extra 4" of insulation in the top of the cabinet. Including new woofer surrounds and some oil I have about $75 in mine. They're no L96s but I don't find them as harsh as many say, either. Just leave the grilles on! :D

wu6fiend
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Another vote for the L80Ts. Definitely worth $100...I would pay 3 times that for a mint set. I have 2 pairs right now, and like them very much. I collected the entire "family" from that era: L20T, L60T, L80T, and L100T.

BMWCCA
01-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I have a pair of L100T speakers. I paid Lansing member Duaneage to upgrade my L100T crossovers to L100T3 specs. Made quite a nice difference in the sound - much more refined and less shrill.
You could send him a PM and ask him what he'd charge to modify your L80T crossovers to the newer L80T3 specs.
Thankfully all those L80T owners that were driving up the price on L80T3 crossovers on The Bay recently must have satisfied their lust, or fallen asleep. Just got a complete pair for $13 (+shipping) so soon I'll have one stock pair of L80Ts and a another with the T3-crossover mod to compare. :applaud:

Slare
01-31-2010, 03:56 AM
I think they are fine speakers for $100, even if they still need refoaming. The smaller cab and woofer size arguably has some advantage over the L100t model if you are using a sub.

They sell for chips because they are big old fashioned speakers, most are in need of refoaming by now, the grilles are fragile and the veneer doesn't hold up well. If you can work around or deal with those issues they are a really great buy.

SEAWOLF97
01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
My first instinct was that $100 for a pair of JBL pro-quality 3-ways was a steal,

JBL pro-quality ?? no
worth $100 ? yes

the components are worth more than that ...I found them very heavy for what they are, awkward to move , top heavy , too bright , non adjustable and with a stable of other speakers...they didn't get used

All that said....I would still buy "your" pair @ 100 , just wudnt use them.

jbl_daddy
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
I had a pair 20 years ago, great speaker. I just sold my L100t's with the crossover upgrade, Gorden performed the t3 conversion on mine. The only reason I sold them is because there is a pair of 250ti's in their place. I also used a pair of B380's with the setup.