PDA

View Full Version : sort of like L100/4311B project questions

dprice
08-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I am building a modified L100/4311B like speaker to it into an existing entertainment center. Cutting up the 4311B to fit would be easy enough but I think I'll skip that option for now.

My box dimensions will be 22.25 x 14.25 x 14.5 which gives me about 2.0 ft^3 volume. Based on 3/4" wall thickness, I estimated 2.03 and 1.66 ft^3 for the L100 and 4311B.

Any opinion regarding the optimum volume and port dimensions? The B460 covers the bottom end so maximum base response is not critical.

The drivers I have are 123A-1, LE5-6, and LE26. I assume they will play nicely together.

Driver layout - The spreaker will be horizontal. Any opinions on the driver layout? I'll mirror image them...the 4311B layout looks easy enough.

Crossover - I have the schematics for the L100 (LX12-10) and 4311B (3112B) crossovers. Any opinions or an alternative design? I hate to ask after spending a couple of hours looking at L100 crossover threads.

Thanks,

Don

midlife
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I was going to take on a speaker building project somewhat similar to yours. I have very nice L88 cabinets & grills. I was going to lay over a new baffle for the mids and highs, rear mount the bass port. My drivers are 123a, 104h and 033s. After getting a lot of info on the forum about knowing frequency response curves, efficiency of the drivers and pros and cons about trying to get a xover ebayed vintage or building my own, I began to realize I didn't have enough info and experience to be able to put this together with a reasonable chance at finishing with a listenable speaker. Need some real nice L88 Cortina cabinets? Good luck, enjoy the project.

dprice
08-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Speakers are just a wooden box and the crossovers can be as simple as a couple of capacitors. Luckily, I wasn't cursed with an audiophile ear that can hear differences between cables so close enough is good enough for me. Maybe hacking the top and botton off of the 4311B would be close enough. Goop it up with silicone sealer and call it a day.

Titanium Dome
08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
That's a minimalist approach and attitude. Anything you do should just about fill the bill as long as you're pleased with it.

dprice
08-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry. I might have sounded a little cranky. Looks like I'll start on laying out and cutting the new baffle boards this weekend. More questions to come....

Wagner
08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Speakers are just a wooden box and the crossovers can be as simple as a couple of capacitors. Luckily, I wasn't cursed with an audiophile ear that can hear differences between cables so close enough is good enough for me. Maybe hacking the top and botton off of the 4311B would be close enough. Goop it up with silicone sealer and call it a day.

Once upon a time in Italy, there lived a person by name Anthony. He used to earn his livelihood by making violins, but being a perfectionist as he was, he used to take one full year to make a violin. His friends chided him saying, "O mad man, how do you expect to eke out your livelihood if you spend a whole year to make one violin? Anthony replied, "God is the embodiment of perfection. Whatever He does is absolutely perfect. He will be pleased only when we discharge our duty in the most perfect manner. All my work will be a utter waste, if God is not satisfied!' The perfect whole is the basis. All that is here is the perfect whole. The whole emanates from the whole. When the whole is separated from the whole the perfect wholeness remains perfect as wholeness.
Only through total love can one please Divinity Perfection arises out of love. There is nothing greater than love. No benefit accrues from chanting various names of the Lord without the spring of love in the heart. It is enough even if one name is chanted wholeheartedly and with a feeling of love. All your work must be totally dedicated to God. It should be done with total love and pure heart. This is the essence of Sathyavathi mode of worship. Anthony's violins were very famous and highly valuable. The reason is that he used to make them with sacred feelings and total devotion. He never felt that he was wasting his time . He always had the feeling that he was sanctifying his time by doing his work perfectly and thus pleasing God. You should follow the ideal of Anthony

God is the embodiment of wholeness and perfection. Whatever is offered to him should be total and perfect. This was demonstrated by the Italian violin maker Anthony (Stradivarius) who took one year to make one violin, but made it to perfection as an offering to God. Whatever is said, done or given, it should be perfect. To please God, who is perfect, whatever is offered should be perfect. Anthony declared that he was making perfect violins only to please God.

Thomas

dprice
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the possible. Not sure who said it (or something like it) but the point is that many projects go nowhere due to the elusive nature of perfection. My goal is less than perfection but still pretty damn good.

Crossover parts ordered....still need to work up final cabinet volume and port tuning....

dprice
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
OK...I'm not having much luck working out the port sizing using UniBox. Trying to model the L100 by plugging in 1.6 ft^3, 2.75" port, and a 29 Hz Fb gives a port length of ~8". I'm not sure about the port length (estimated from L100 construction notes) and the Fb was a trial and error solution...no clue if it is close to "correct".

Here's the actual box I'm trying to model...
Box volume is 2.0 ft^3
Heavy fill, minimal leaks
Driver = 123A-1
Port diameter = 3"
Fb = 25 Hz (not sure what ideal is?)

...and this yields a port length of 10.6"

Does this look reasonable? Yes, lots of discussion regarding plugging the port...which is easy to do if it is never installed the first time.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Don

Val
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Driver layout - The spreaker will be horizontal. Any opinions on the driver layout? I'll mirror image them...the 4311B layout looks easy enough.

You will get better stereo imaging if you put the tweeter and mid-range drivers in a vertical alignment. I lay my 4312's on their sides for this reason.