PDA

View Full Version : 033 HF best hz xover?

midlife
08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I've got a speaker project using 033s as the tweeters and 104hs as the mids. Can I use a L166 xover that kicks the tweets in at 6000hz. I also may be able to use a L80t3 xover which crosses the tweets at 4500hz. Also the L80t3 xovers look to be more up to date (more caps and coils). Any ideas??

BMWCCA
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Any ideas??I don't know anymore about this stuff than you do, but if I were putting together a Frankenstein project from a mix-and-match driver collection, I'd probably want some L-pads in there to give me at least a shot at balancing the motley crew into something like what I was hoping it would be. :dont-know

midlife
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't know anymore about this stuff than you do, but if I were putting together a Frankenstein project from a mix-and-match driver collection, I'd probably want some L-pads in there to give me at least a shot at balancing the motley crew into something like what I was hoping it would be. :dont-know
I agree, and I would add Lpads if the xover of choice doesn't have them. Due to availability I have some what narrowed it down to; L166 xovers or L80t3 xovers. Being new to builder projects I am still looking for someone with experience to help with the options. thanks.

rdgrimes
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
The only way any XO will work right is if the drivers used have identical impedance as those the XO was designed for. If not, the XO point will be somewhere else.

midlife
08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
The only way any XO will work right is if the drivers used have identical impedance as those the XO was designed for. If not, the XO point will be somewhere else.
Do you mean dcr values or stated component ohms ratings? I believe all the drivers in either the L80t3 and L166 are rated @ 8 ohms. And the drivers I would like to use are also rated @ 8 ohms.

Fred Sanford
08-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Impedance + efficiency + response curve, I'd think.

je

midlife
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM

je
Makes sense, and I have considered those parameters. I would be using 033 tweeters, 104h mids, and 123a woofer, commonly employed drivers in JBL speaker systems, is their combination very unorthodox to the point of being incompatible or too difficult to crossover? I don't mind a bit of a challenge and I still would like to put these components in my L88 cabinets, but really if I'm about to drive a square peg in a round hole...

midlife
08-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Makes sense, and I have considered those parameters. I would be using 033 tweeters, 104h mids, and 123a woofer, commonly employed drivers in JBL speaker systems, is their combination very unorthodox to the point of being incompatible or too difficult to crossover? I don't mind a bit of a challenge and I still would like to put these components in my L88 cabinets, but really if I'm about to drive a square peg in a round hole...
Are there any known efficiency discrepensies that would make the above listed drivers a mismatch? And if so could I add a resister to the driver to help make it play better with the others? thanks

badman
08-21-2009, 08:33 AM

je

And don't forget, impedance is not constant with frequency.

This is why crossovers are by far the hardest part of a speaker. To be done properly, you should simulate as much as possible, build, measure, and refine.

This is also, to some extent, why the simplest crossovers are best. You still have to do all of the above, but when you're working with a simple crossover, there's less moving pieces, and it assumes (and requires) well-behaved drivers.

rdgrimes
08-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Do you mean dcr values or stated component ohms ratings? I believe all the drivers in either the L80t3 and L166 are rated @ 8 ohms. And the drivers I would like to use are also rated @ 8 ohms.
I believe you should be looking at the DC resistance of the drivers. The 033 is 3.6-4.4u. The 104H DC resistance I cannot find, but it will be different from the LE5 series. The LE5-8 runs 5.6 - 6.8u. These are the numbers you will get if you check resistance across the 2 driver connectors. If these values vary from what the XO is build for, both the XO point and the attenuation curves will change. L-pads won't effect either of those variables. Unless the XO is designed specifically for the drivers in use, it's a real crap shoot what it will sound like.

Robh3606
08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello midlife

This is what you need to design a crossover. A measurement system to get you a set of in baffle measurements of all the drivers and a set of impedance curves for each. Then add software such as LEAP or Crossosver Shop to plug it into.

You have had a couple of crossovers suggested to you that use the 033 and an LE-5 variant midrange driver. Use those to determine what would work best in the abcense of measurements or the required software.

Rob:)