PDA

View Full Version : L55s and LE14As

Wagner
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Usually toss the "Penny Saver" but yesterday was moved to take a peek at the "TV/Stereo/Electronics" listings which usually consist of junk, I mean real bona fide junk.

Interesting listing "Marantz Stereo System"; in short, a 2245 with JBL speakers. It was before 5:00 PM so I called and drove right over without even asking the model of the speakers (I had a good feeling); before the rest of the folks got home to check their mail.

I bought:
I dirty but nice and fully functional Marantz 2245 (very nice little receiver by the way)
An old Pioneer PL-A35 belt drive; again dirty and in need of service but complete.
And the real kicker?
A complete, intact pair of L55s still with their glass tops and grilles.
FILTHY but all in all in nice shape.
The Lansalloy on one still in fair shape (good enough to gently test anyway) but the other with the classic concentric splitting beginning to manifest.
Cones clean and white
Only some minor veneer issues which will be a pleasure to address.
$100 bucks for all
Seller would have taken even less I am sure, but I didn't even try, guy clearly needed money (he said so) and was selling his house. Bad karma; I paid what he asked.
Oh yeah, and a crate of fairly decent vinyl but that's in pretty poor shape.

My question is: I am considering trying these (the LE14As) with some 175DLHs. OK to run the horns with the L55's network or should I use the N1200s?
My 175s are 16ohm.
Worth the experiment? Aren't there some models that featured this mating?
Suggestions welcomed.
Cheers to all,
Thomas

Wagner
08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Is it "Lansalloy" or "Lansaloy"
I see it both ways.
Thanks,
Thomas

tomee
08-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice find!

The Lancer 101 and S1 system used the LE14A with the 175DLH - the crossover is the LX10, the schematic is in the archives I think. There may be other possible crossovers to use as well...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1970-home/page03.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1974-home/page18.jpg

I've attached a pic of the C56 Dorian with the S1 installed; Lancer 101 is similar. The 1970 and 1971 JBL catalogs show the L55 and Lancer 101 as having the same dimensions, but different grills and top treatment (marble vs. glass). It would be neat to convert the L55 to a Lancer 101, but the tweeter hole would need routing out to the right size, and the L55 crossover perhaps removed and the hole filled.

Zilch had other uses for them...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87201&postcount=369

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87202&postcount=370

:D

jblsound
08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I would suggest replacing the Lansaloy surrounds with new foam surrounds. Its more than likely the surrounds are quite stiff. And even if they're not the LE14A will perform better with the foam.
A couple of years ago I replaced the Lansaloy on my L55s, now they're as goos as new.

tomee
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I would suggest replacing the Lansaloy surrounds with new foam surrounds. Its more than likely the surrounds are quite stiff. And even if they're not the LE14A will perform better with the foam.
A couple of years ago I replaced the Lansaloy on my L55s, now they're as goos as new.

100% agreement here! With my pair of LE14As, I measured the fs with the old hard Lansalloy at about 85Hz. After foam replacement they were both close to 29 Hz. Original spec was 28Hz. Bass in the 2 cubic foot L55 cabinet is very good, even if the box is not the optimal size for these woofers.

jblsound
08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
100% agreement here! With my pair of LE14As, I measured the fs with the old hard Lansalloy at about 85Hz. After foam replacement they were both close to 29 Hz. Original spec was 28Hz. Bass in the 2 cubic foot L55 cabinet is very good, even if the box is not the optimal size for these woofers.

What would be the optimal size box for the LE14A for subwoofer use?

Wagner
08-19-2009, 10:46 AM

There is no room for debate; as I stated in my original post, the concentric surround splitting has already begun on one of them.
There is no option here (it goes without saying), other than to foam or -re-cone as indicated.
Thomas

tomee
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM

I've read on this forum that 3.5 cubic feet, tuned to 30Hz is about right, and I've also read that the LE14H is better as a sub than the 'A' version. Search around the forums and you'll find lots of info on these. My only experience is with the 'A' version, and not as a sub. Even the 'newest' LE14A is getting on to be 30 years old, and the earliest ones will be close to 45 years old(!), so keep that in mind.

Robh3606
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM

I use 4 cubic ft for mine. Watch the X-max on them. I cross mine over around 50hz or so which is where the maximum cone movement is. It's a LR crossover so my max power in is 6db down at my worst case in band displacement point. Helps quite a bit to get the most out of them without damaging them by being overdriven. I also only have about 150-200 watts on them. Between the crossover point and power I have never had a problem with them on music or movies. I would not try running them to cover the LFE channel. Maybe with limited volume they could be used but I would be cautious using them in that application. I use a 2235 to cover my LFE channel.

Run it in WinIsd

Rob:)