PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona 873a front grill bending problems

KK Ken
08-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi,
I have a pair of barcelona 873A spekers, my problem is their center grill is bending too much, so I still can cover the front panel but that would be a gap that you can see woofer directly.
Anyone can suggest a method to solve this problem?Thanks for your help!:)

LikaComet
08-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey there.. .
I did an image search on your speakers and it looks like the center fastening system must be failing on the front grill allowing it to bow. What's the story there?

KK Ken
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your help!
The centre front grill of one of my speakers has six tiny velco tapes which help to attach to the rack. The front grill is made from some kind.of plastic. It seems only one of the six grills has such a problem.
Certainly the velco cannot function well but I believe this is not the major reason, because the grill bends too much. If I put it on the floor, it needs 10 kilos weight to press it flat ,so I think even a brand new velco tape cannot provide such amount of force.

hjames
08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your help!
The centre front grill ... . If I put it on the floor, it needs 10 kilos weight to press it flat ,

Sounds like it has bowed out while it was in a warm place and taken that bow "permanently". Perhaps an answer is to place 2 boards on the floor, lay the grill across them with the bow up, and place a some books or something similar in the middle to give it a bow the other way. You could run a hair dryer over it to slightly warm the plastic and allow it to reduce the warping.
Not too much heat, gently warm up the pastic.

Its just an idea, but if you do it gradually, in stages, you may have good luck.

macaroonie
08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Is sunshine hitting it at all , I notice that at least one of the other panels has a slight bow also.
I am with Heather , you need to train it in the opposite direction , as she says two pieces of wood about 50mm square , one at each end and a moderate weight in the middle , say about 3-4 kg and then just leave it and see what happens over a few days. In the meantime you can go shopping for some fresh velcro.
The hairdrier is probably a good idea also.

Good luck

LikaComet
08-18-2009, 04:57 PM
That's a pretty nasty warp. If that's a plastic grill I'd be very careful how you bend it in the opposite direction of the bend. I'd also be careful about point heat source like a hair drier.

What do you think of this idea:
Find a flat surface in your car that you can lay out the panel. Leave the car out in the sun so it gets good and hot. Then put the weight that flattens the panel and leave this until dark when the car cools slowly.

KK Ken
08-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot, Guys!
I will try tomorrow.
Cheers:)