PDA

View Full Version : DIY 1400 Array types

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Well my project is nearing completion and I couldn't resist hooking the up minus xover and UHF just for grins.
The bass unit is the trusty 2235 re-coned from a 2231a and the mid /hf is a SAM1HF horn(does it have its own number?) With a 2435hpl be driver instead of the stock 435 Al and the 045 ti uhf.

I test drove them last night using an XTA active xover for now just running the 2435 out all the way-so as a 2-way. The mids haven't been aquaplas'd yet and only minimal peq was applied to them.
The sound? wonderfully detailed and clear-better than I expected and even in this rough n ready state I was up till late going through my cd collection.
The 2235 is a cracking bass driver imo(preaching to the choir I know ) but last night I was very pleased with its sound and how it was a smooth match for the still unfinessed SAM1 HF.
I'll post some pics as I go heres a few for starters;

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 04:10 AM
As usual the help from forum members and the resources available have been extraordinary and I'm very grateful to all those who've pointed me in the right direction. Special mention for Giskard for sourcing several of the components and also his generosity regarding the dinged SAM1's.
cheers
Cooky

Earl K
08-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Very Cool Cooky !

I'll assume also, that g.t. would be pretty happy to see others embracing his vertical horn approach .

>< cheers :)

ps ; what's your box size & tuning ?

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Thanks Earl, I went for 140L @33hz.
The nice thing is I know they will get even better when I finish the passive network and install the uhf.I'm also having a metal hf mounting plate made to give the SAM a solid anchorage.
Cooky

macaroonie
08-16-2009, 05:08 AM
If your 2235's are fresh recones they will improve also as they ' run in' , my 300ish project did just that so you have a lot to look forward to.
Question ... what is the little slope on the top rear edge all about ?
You got some Zilch cloth coming ?

Mac

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Question ... what is the little slope on the top rear edge all about ?
You got some Zilch cloth coming ?

Mac

Thanks Mac, the 2235's are about 12 months since recone, if I read you correctly the little slope is just a chamfer-there's also a flat section on the top rear about 2 in wide/full width due to a sharp corner of the side panels getting damaged and needing an on the fly design change.
They're 18mm mdf with a 12mm american walnut veneered mdf skin and 36mm front baffle, all internals were thickened up with various mdf off cuts and a shelf brace and panel braces all round/top/bottom.
I'm not a grill cloth kinda guy:)prefering them naked.
I'm now on the look out for 2 shots of the correct ferrofluid for the 2435's...as part of the aquaplasing/clean up for the 2435's.
Well pleased so far though and with a whole set of 2441's, 3105's 2397's and 2405's to sell soon too may well opt for some 1500als to finish-though the 2235's are real nice..
Cooky

macaroonie
08-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Do you have a source for the ferrofluid ?

Robh3606
08-16-2009, 08:03 AM
They look great!! Told you would be done first.

Rob:)

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Do you have a source for the ferrofluid ?

No not yet,there was a thread a while back but as i recall the quantities available needed a bulk/group purchase.

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 08:08 AM
They look great!! Told you would be done first.

..still work in progress Rob but nearly there:)

Robh3606
08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I know where to get it but it's a $100 minimum order. My last recharge packs went to Guido and my 10ml jar went missing so I am fresh out. If we can get enough guys together we could reorder.

yggdrasil
08-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I know where to get it but it's a $100 minimum order. My last recharge packs went to Guido and my 10ml jar went missing so I am fresh out. If we can get enough guys together we could reorder.

I'm in, for 4 drivers.

BTW cooky it's a great looking project!

Mr. Widget
08-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing... it is always fun to do a bit of "armchair travelling". :)

Once you get them dialed in, it'll be interesting to hear your impressions in a direct comparison between this modern day JBL system and your vintage one.

Widget

cooky1257
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm in, for 4 drivers.

BTW cooky it's a great looking project!

I'd be in for 4 too.
Cooky

grumpy
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Very nice. Glad to see those horns will be getting some action. :)

After hearing Doug's threesome, I can understand why they were snapped up
very quickly.

Robh3606
08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
After hearing Doug's threesome, I can understand why they were snapped up very quickly.

Hello Grumpy

Did they ever come back to finish things up?? Have you heard them all dialed in??

grumpy
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
indeed. (on both counts)

I believe one of TD's threads details Chris' follow-up visit. The post-cal
sound of the entire system was substantially more impressive.

I just saw "District 9" at a local theater... during the show I kept thinking
how much better the environment/sound was over at Doug's. I've been
spoiled.

dkalsi
08-16-2009, 04:16 PM
indeed. (on both counts)

I believe one of TD's threads details Chris' follow-up visit. The post-cal
sound of the entire system was substantially more impressive.

spoiled.

I saw District 9 last night - AWESOME MOVIE IMO

Earl K
08-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I just saw "District 9" at a local theater... during the show I kept thinking how much better the environment/sound was over at Doug's. I've been spoiled.

Ya know, ( generally what with all the history etc, around here ) this is the type of honest comment that I live for . :)

Mr. Widget
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
spoiled.I saw it last night myself... it had it's good points but wasn't as important a film as it could have been... though it was entertaining if you could get past the frequent blood splatters. :D

As far as the sound? I saw it in a 1930s art deco theater that had it's decade long restoration completed just last year. It has a state of the art JBL sound system with THX processing and professional EQ. There is no way any home theater can offer the type of sound you get from such a large room... not a resonant, rattly old Altec house with weak highs and no lows, but a SOTA system that was professionally designed and tuned to the room. Big movies are awesome in that theater. Now, surround music? I bet I'd prefer Dome's room. :)

Widget

grumpy
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I understand. My "local theater" is nowhere near SOTA, not even close to
what I recall at the Cinerama Dome as a teen ...albeit through the euphemism
of time... (haven't been there to see/hear what Arclight has done).

That said, in my fair, but not unlimited HT experience to-date, I can think of no other
private venue I'd rather watch a movie to experience both sonic
nuance and impact than over at TD's. Much more impact, and I'd have to bring some Depends.

Honestly, I spent more time at TD's listening to surround sound material on
his very capable PT800-based system.

(...was a lot of 'goo' in that flick, but better story line than others that might get lumped into that genre)

...and thanks Earl.

Mr. Widget
08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
That said, in my fair, but not unlimited HT experience to-date, I can think of no other private venue I'd rather watch a movie to experience both sonic nuance and impact than over at TD's. Much more impact, and I'd have to bring some Depends.I hear ya! I have heard a number of similar systems and the difference between most home theaters and a properly set up HT with real subs and TOTL horns and drivers is simply amazing.

My point was that physics being what it is, an equally awesome setup in a much larger venue is... even awesomer. :D:D At least for action movies.

Widget

grumpy
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I think if you take a look at the useful frequency ranges for those devices,
you might notice a gap of an octave or so... I'd suggest starting a new thread...
indicating your main speakers (sorry that I don't recall your system), what else you
might have available, and what power available for the system looks like
(amplifier-wise).

Titanium Dome
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
There is no way any home theater can offer the type of sound you get from such a large room... not a resonant, rattly old Altec house with weak highs and no lows, but a SOTA system that was professionally designed and tuned to the room. Big movies are awesome in that theater. Now, surround music? I bet I'd prefer Dome's room. :)

Widget

This is no doubt true and no doubt *not* typical. If I had a bigger room, I'd have a bigger room :p, but I have to say the room I have is "bigger" than its dimensions due to the treatments, installation, and calibration, not to mention the quality of the components in the system.

Of course, it will never be movie house big, but that's not necessary; in fact, it would be ridiculous given the intent to have it in my house rather than the other way around. It does limit my ability to bus in 200 farting, coughing, smelly, text-messaging, drink-slurping, popcorn-munching, littering people for a communal movie experience. :barf:

There isn't a commercial cinema within 20 miles that looks or sounds as good. Twenty miles isn't arbitrary. It puts The Bridge and The Arclight outside my chosen radius.

Now that I've succumbed and installed the Oppo BDP-83, both sight and sound trump any local theater. If I must travel 20+ miles to do better, I'll do 95%+ of my movie watching at home. The main reasons I'd go out would be to see a brand new, must see flick (rare), or to view a desirable film that's best seen in a specific format like IMAX, Cinermana, etc. (rare), or to see a screening of a rare or foreign film that I just can't see any other way ( several times a year, usually in a dumpy theater).

Titanium Dome
08-17-2009, 10:13 AM
We've sorta drifted off thread here, so let me say that the DIY 1400 Arrays look great! Congratulations.

cooky1257
08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
We've sorta drifted off thread here, so let me say that the DIY 1400 Arrays look great! Congratulations.

Thank you!

grumpy
08-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Cooky, do you have a shot of the horns from the side?
Plans to cover the attachment holes or install a fake 045Ti? :)
XTA 4-series? Method to measure? (sorry for all the ??s)

Zilch
08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
It does limit my ability to bus in 200 farting, coughing, smelly, text-messaging, drink-slurping, popcorn-munching, littering people for a communal movie experience. :barf:HA! Just say the word, and we'll be right there for ya.... :D

cooky1257
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Cooky, do you have a shot of the horns from the side?
Plans to cover the attachment holes or install a fake 045Ti? :)
XTA 4-series? Method to measure? (sorry for all the ??s)

I'll post a shot asap.
I've got some 045ti's to go in once the network is assembled.
The XTA is a 226.I'm crossing them over at 850 hz@ 24LR with the 2235's 2nd order butt@646hz.
Any eq is purely by ear for now but will tweak via a Behringer 2496 RTA+mic soon.
If I can get some decals I will if not I'll make some.
Cooky

cooky1257
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Just finished dusting the 2435's-not for the faint hearted:).
1st impressions were good, very very good, such is the improvement I suspected the dias must've been seated wrong first time out.
The difference is not subtle, to my ears at least, smoother, sweeter less forward and the benefit of this 'calming down' is more micro detail, inner clarity.

pos
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Nice!
How did you apply it? Spray?

Titanium Dome
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
I like your driver stands.

4313B
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Just finished dusting the 2435's-not for the faint hearted:).Considering that replacements are $800 each I'd say so! It looks like you did a really nice job though.
1st impressions were good, very very good, such is the improvement I suspected the dias must've been seated wrong first time out.
The difference is not subtle, to my ears at least, smoother, sweeter less forward and the benefit of this 'calming down' is more micro detail, inner clarity.It seems that only a few of us out here in the field as well as the guys at JBL can hear the difference.

My understanding is this practice has caused "issues" for people on other websites. Rumor is that they've required therapy and so forth. Oh well. :dont-know

BTW - If you end up making some covers for the mounting bolts let us know. Several others may be interested in getting some from you.

cooky1257
08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Pos, I didn't spray them no.
In researching the subject I came across a mention that GT (during the Array prototyping) applied 2 light coats with a brush. I used a sable chisel ended artists brush. Rich gave me a great tip, to practice cut off the bottoms of coke cans eh voila an aluminium dome!
The key is getting the correct water/Aquaplas mix, too thick wont brush smoothly, too thin and the emulsion conjeals.
TD, the dias supports are 2 straight sided Guinness glasses:)
Thanks to Rich for supplying a little tub of the magic coating.
Well Giskard, I can only say it's a night and day difference-the before was fine, I was really happy with what they were doing but the after? appreciably improved.
I've not figured any covers yet but will look into silicone/ear mold or maybe just some thin neoprene cut to shape.
Cooky

pos
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Guido used a turntable to coat mine with a brush
(photos courtesy of Gudio)

cooky1257
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Cool. I was going to use a turntable myself.
You have the dark grey Aquaplas I see.

pos
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Cooky, looks like you got a real bargain on those 1500AL:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=49131&forum_id=5&jump_to=796549

:applaud:

congrats!

timc
02-07-2010, 03:32 AM
The difference is not subtle, to my ears at least, smoother, sweeter less forward and the benefit of this 'calming down' is more micro detail, inner clarity.

This is the exact impression i have too, when comparing original to coated dias :)

-Tim

cooky1257
02-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Hey Cooky, looks like you got a real bargain on those 1500AL:
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=49131&forum_id=5&jump_to=796549

:applaud:

congrats!

Ahh, Sadly, someone had an 'option' to buy them.....they did.
I've never got that close before:(
Cooky

pos
02-07-2010, 06:25 AM
:(
I can imagine how you feel...