PDA

View Full Version : Ted Weber RIP

brad347
08-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Ted Weber, one of the pioneers of re-creating vintage-style Jensen, Oxford, Celestion, and even JBL speakers for guitar amps, died yesterday.

He had health problems for a long time.

He may not be huge in the hi-fi realm but he was one of the towering figures in the guitar amp speaker world.

He offered great products, great customer service, and was just a hell of a guy. He was one of the first to really do R&D on those old speakers and really make 'em like they used to, especially the Jensens-- paper voice coil formers and all.

He gave many of us owners of vintage amps... particularly Tweed Fenders with their Jensens... a way to replace failing speakers or build clones that sounded 'right.' The world of speakers for vintage amps was a barren wasteland before Ted came along. He almost singlehandedly whipped all the other manufacturers into shape. Even if his family does not continue his operation (I think/hope they will), his contributions are lasting, as he whipped many other manufacturers into shape.

RIP and thanks for the speakers!!

hjames
08-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up - I gather Ted Weber is this guy:

http://www.tedweber.com/

Looks very interesting!

brad347
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah. That was him.

Who knows if the business will continue, or if it does, if quality will still be as good.

:(

I think he was waiting on a lung transplant and didn't make it, or something.