PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul, dead at 94

Harvey Gerst
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry to announce that Les Paul died from pneumonia complications today. He was a big influence for me.

louped garouv
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
he lived a good life from all i've read/seen, may he rest in peace

Krunchy
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
That is sad news indeed, he was a real nice guy & could still tear up the guitar that bore his namesake better than most of today's "talent".

:(

robertbartsch
08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow; that is sad - a true American hero; right?

I suppose the value of these units from the 50s - 60s will now increase greatly.

Are the Les Paul guitars still being made?

Krunchy
08-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I suppose the value of these units from the 50s - 60s will now increase greatly.

Are the Les Paul guitars still being made?

His namesake guitars have always been expensive, the 50s & 60s models even more so. I believe they are still being made, re-issues and all, I cant see why they would ever stop production of such a classic.
It & the Strat are the first to come to mind when you say Electric Guitars & rightly so :D

robertbartsch
08-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Here is a CNN report of his death:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/obit.les.paul/index.html

Apparently, he lived in White Plains NY which is next to my town of Hartsdale.

Doc Mark
08-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey, All,

Sad news, indeed. He was a legend, and influenced more guitar players than probably anyone else, in one way, or another. He will be missed, but at least we have his music, and our memories of his stellar career and life! God Bless Les Paul, and his family!

Respectfully,
Doc

Fred Sanford
08-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow, this sucks. I was lucky enough to see him a number of times, even attending one of his birthday parties. Damn shame.

Buy the Legend & Legacy box set, it's worth it. Buy Chester & Lester, if you can find an import.

je :(

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Are the Les Paul guitars still being made?Sure, and more popular than ever. Gibson uses the name on anything from a USA-made Gibson to Chinese made Epiphones, and the "Les Paul" signature has even appeared on the SG line, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul

Despite my best intentions, I never made it to the Iridium to hear Les play.

rdgrimes
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Les practically invented the electric guitar and amp as we know it. His innovations in hardware, and in recording hardware and technique shaped the entire industry. When he saw a need for some little gizmo to put between his guitar and amp, he invented one. The list of stuff he created is long, and resulted in things like reverb, fuzz, etc.

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Beyond the invention/creation of the electric guitar, Les will always be remembered for being among the first to record in multi-track. There are at least two good videos about him that have played on PBS, and if I recall correctly there's a section of Tom Dowd's DVD devoted to Les, as well, showing him using his 4412As in his home studio.

http://www.lespaulfilm.com/
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/les-paul/chasing-sound/100/
http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/

John
08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is a CNN report of his death:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/13/obit.les.paul/index.html

Apparently, he lived in White Plains NY which is next to my town of Hartsdale.

That's where he passed away. I think he lived up in Mahwah NJ,

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
That's where he passed away. I think he lived up in Mahwah NJ,
As I recall from the TV shows, he was driven from his home in (I thought) Connecticut to Manhattan every Monday night to play at the Iridium in Manhattan. That would have been near White Plains, close enough!

Whoops! The PBS interview seems to be from two-years ago and says:

This day, he will do two one-hour sets at the Iridium, sign autographs until midnight, do two radio interviews and eventually turn in back in Mahwah around 8 a.m.In it Les also says:
“I sign lots of boobs.” I always intended to go one Monday night on my NYC trips, but I just waited too long! :(

Fred Sanford
08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
As I recall from the TV shows, he was driven from his home in (I thought) Connecticut to Manhattan every Monday night to play at the Iridium in Manhattan. That would have been near White Plains, close enough!

Whoops! The PBS interview seems to be from two-years ago and says:
In it Les also says:I always intended to go one Monday night on my NYC trips, but I just waited too long! :(

I have a video of one of his shows from Fat Tuesday's, it's a good representation of what those night were like. I think there's also some of the trio stuff from Iridium on the PBS DVD.

He was often very irreverent at the shows, either making sexist or racist jokes about audience members. Kind of a rascal. Usually had killer guests sit in, too- I've seen Roger McGuinn, Scotty Moore, Jeff Baxter, Gatemouth Brown, Bucky & John Pizzarelli, and others I can't remember right now.

je

Titanium Dome
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Great man. Great musician. Great technician. Great innovator. Great life. Great legacy. :applaud:

Great loss. :(

jerry_rig
08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I saw Les play at Fat Tuesdays a few times in the early 1990s. One of my buddies had him sign his Les Paul guitar. He was a joy to watch as he flew up and down the neck with his arthritic fingers. That was an inspiration as well as a humbling experience.

Jerry

Fred Sanford
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I saw Les play at Fat Tuesdays a few times in the early 1990s. One of my buddies had him sign his Les Paul guitar. He was a joy to watch as he flew up and down the neck with his arthritic fingers. That was an inspiration as well as a humbling experience.

Jerry

Les once shrugged off the Sharpie I'd extended to him & proceeded to gouge his signature into the back of my 1956 Les Paul Special with an engraver he whipped out from under the table.

:eek:

Yeah, he's about the only individual on Earth who'd be allowed to do that...

je

Woofer
08-14-2009, 01:30 AM
This has upset me no end.
Devastating news indeed. :(

With respect.

JBL Dog
08-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Great man. Great musician. Great technician. Great innovator. Great life. Great legacy. :applaud:

Great loss. :(

Well said.......

Wornears
08-14-2009, 06:16 AM
"...& proceeded to gouge his signature into the back of my 1956 Les Paul Special with an engraver he whipped out from under the table."

!!!!! What a story, and what a gift he gave you.

robertbartsch
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
...a freind of mine acquired a new black Les Paul with gold pickups around 1970.

I assume it has great value - monetary and otherwise....

Oldmics
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Met him and his son in the mid 80s at a Fat Tues show.

He was exactly what a "rascal" would be in my interpetation.

In conversation,I pressed him for his opinion of digital recording quality at the time.

His answer was peppered with interesting language and a positive outlook :applaud:

My Les Paul has also met "its maker".

Got pics with him and I also someplace.

Definatly an influence on my life.

Oldmics

John
08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Les once shrugged off the Sharpie I'd extended to him & proceeded to gouge his signature into the back of my 1956 Les Paul Special with an engraver he whipped out from under the table.

:eek:

Yeah, he's about the only individual on Earth who'd be allowed to do that...

je

Do you still have the axe?:rockon2:

Fred Sanford
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Do you still have the axe?:rockon2:

It's "in the family". The guy behind me in line was my friend Bobby, with his 1955 Gold Top Les Paul. No, he didn't let Les engrave it. That '56 Special now lives with Bobby, along with my Bandmaster head & 2 x 10" Fender cab, and one of my Telecasters. Oh, yeah, and an SVT head, and a Jackson Randy Rhodes V. Bobby plays slide blues on it, and it has a happy home there.

je

jcrobso
09-18-2009, 08:12 AM
http://www.jamesburtonmusic.com/LesPaulTribute5.html