PDA

View Full Version : Alnico remagnetizing in Northeastern US

S.O.Stefansson
06-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Forum members,

does anyone know of a place in the Northeastern US where I can have alnico magnets remagnetized? Ideally within a day's drive of Western Massachusetts.

Thanks,

Sigurd

jcdahl
06-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I am going to have a pair of LE15s reconed by Orange County Speaker repair and they have suggested that I have them remagnetized. They can do it (they are located in Southern California.)

I don't know if this is necessary. How long does it take for a JBL Le15 to loose its magnetism? How can I tell if it is necessary?

HenryW
06-18-2004, 06:23 AM
on the 'how long' thing. I would have alnico remagnitised at the same time as recone for simple peace of mind. I don't recall it being a great charge and since physics tells us the magnets degrade over time (this is hear say - I haven't actually seen it with my own eyes;) )you will be pretty darn sure you have gained many years of use.

4313B
06-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by jcdahl
I am going to have a pair of LE15s reconed by Orange County Speaker repair and they have suggested that I have them remagnetized. They can do it (they are located in Southern California.)

I don't know if this is necessary. How long does it take for a JBL Le15 to loose its magnetism? How can I tell if it is necessary? I think they charge $10 to remag. I personally wouldn't do an alnico recone without a remag.

Alex Lancaster
06-18-2004, 10:16 AM
For once Giskard is right, nah, nah, He´s always right, I think His real name is HAL9000, but He doesn´t want to scare us.