PDA

View Full Version : Opinion! Sound from vintage 604 speaker

Maqdeem
08-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Hello,

I purchase new 16mm projector B&H 2585 model to watch feature films, the maximum power amp (built inside projector) is 20-watt RMS 8ohms, which is very low amp. Im looking for speaker can give a very large sound and large bass too, also very smooth high frequency like best analog sound, the type of sound we have in 70s period in theater, which was very natural and no extravagant like modern speakers.

My friend recommend to me old Altec Lansing 604 speaker, he said can handle this small amp, and also can give the sound im looking for. I never heard this speaker but appeared very nice. What I would like to know could anyone give me good description about the sound? And is it best choice really? Or there is other model better for my need.

Any thoughts I will appreciate.

Many thanks.
Maqdeem

jcrobso
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
With only 20 watts you need a high efficiency speaker. Do you have a lot of 16mm movies?
This JBL speaker would also work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130323369583&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Maqdeem
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Thank you Jcrobso for reply.

They told me 604 are highest efficiency speaker and best choice for analog sound or movies, but like I said I never listened to Altec before. At the moment I have around 7 films and Im going to collect more films and also super 8. What I really want is to have a very analog warm sound and not analytical as digital! I know from old days like 70s the sound was so perfect to me, very natural and also large not thin like CD (I hate thin sound). Also I like vocals to have rich bass too.

Thank you for offer, but I don’t know how the sound is. I mean is it what im looking for?

Many thanks.

jcrobso
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm not the one selling the speaker, I just posted it to give you another option.
16mm optical sound does have some limitations, in reality VHS analog audio is better. Even with a very good speaker like the Altec or JBL the optical sound track will be the limiting factor.
I grew up with a 16mm sound projector and I'm familiar with the sound. In the '70s thay started adding magnetic stripes to 35mm film so they could get better audio. They put 4 magnetic stripes on the film for 4 channel stereo.
Later Dolby Digital was applied to 35mm. 16mm is only mono.
I wish you well in you project.

doodlebug
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Further to Jcrobsco's observations....

I'd suggest using a well-restored Altec 604 to listen to the audio of an old projector will allow you to hear back into the projector and to the audio track itself. Those will be the limiting factors, although you should spend some time looking at the audio amp that would drive the speaker.

Lastly, since we don't know about the cabinet, room size and how loud you're expecting to run the speaker, I'd suggest you have a bit more research to do.

Just curious, why do this? Seems like all we can do is pontificate at this point.

Cheers,

David

Maqdeem
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I understand! I thank you for good option J it is very helpful. You are right about VHS sound excellent, but also I found 16mm optical sounds large from small speaker, need more bass to become perfect. The thing is im not happy from thin sound even if it has more highs and lows because I cannot turn the volume up if I want listen to far details! because the low frequency shake the ceiling and the highs cause ear fatigue (too harsh)!! Seems to me old sound design is much better. JBL 2155 seems great choice.

By the way, I never listened to this type of speaker where tweeter placed in the middle of woofer; I would like to know the difference in sound between this (604 or 2155) and conventual’s speaker (tweeter separated from woofer)?

And is JBL 2155 sounded close to Altec 604? Which one is better?

Many thanks.