PDA

View Full Version : Just back from all-day Everest DD6600, K29900,S4600,TS8000,TS6000,4348,LS80 Auditions

JBLAddict
08-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi All, this is what I would classify as the JBL listening experience of a lifetime, not just for the systems heard, but the setting and circumstances. I am on some business travel this past week and had a free day (Sunday) in the Tokyo area, for years of reading the forum, I promised if I ever got here this would be the first thing I sought out, and it turned out to be a full jackpot.

Same place as Don posted in 2006 but with updated equipment, in Shinagawa outside Tokyo, and in the Akihabara "electronics district" at Dynamic Audio, 7 floors in a dumpy unsuspecting building (dynamicaudio.com), each with multiple rooms of listening and one showcase set per. Across the street was AR store in Don's post.

Long story short, spent about 2 hours in AR, listening to the 4338 (best JBL set in the store), TS8000, TS6000, LS80, among some B?W and others. No one in the store, played through many a disc with quite a bit of patience. The 4338 was simply ridiculous, the The S4600 amazing and a close second, the TS800 beautiful but not as nice, suprisingly, as the S4600, the TS6000 very disappointing compared to many other similarly sized sets next to it, I was in complete awe having full access to systems I'd read about for so many hours, and suddenly being able to heard almost unlimited, all together--bliss is a huge understatement but pales to what came next.

Walked across the street to Dynamic Audio, up to the 7th floor, and well, insanity. I immediately saw the Everest in the private room and asked the 25yr old kid if I could listen, he pointed, nodded and in I went. He left me in there for 2 HOURS with the full rack of CDs and 100K worth of electronics powering the D6600, didn't come in once to check or say a word...it was CRAZY.... there really aren't words to describe what this L100, L5, L7 owner was feeling during that time. Music simply cannot be at any point in the past, current or future, any more breathtaking. I'm going to spare the words for now, because they simply will do no justice. My work companion who knows JBL from Circuit City fame and thought I was crazy wanting to search this brand out, just sat with his mouth open as the set with a 6,000,000 Yen price tag pounded out Jazz, Abba, Elton John, Sade, Michael Jackson and so on. He then started to tell me about his friend with the B/W 801s and how this absolutely buried them. Somehow out of guilt and a desire to see the K29900 on the floor below we said goodbye and dropped down a floor. There sat the K2 and a sea of McIntosh equipment playing some garbage new wave, lightly. I asked if I can change the disc and put on Dark Side of the Moon--Time, and turned it up. Think Everest but less impact, I think in part due to the wide open untreated room (unlike the Everest room). Spend another 90 minutes thinking to myself, how am I going to leave this room, and opportunity that I know will not come again, and that so many others would absolutely kill to have? I was hard but after 3.5 hours there, plus the 2 at AR, just had to go....so I did, glowing the entire train ride back to the hotel. I'm still a little speechless and unable to articulate how this differs from any other experience, in particular the Everest, which I somehow assumed would just be an overpowered K2. I'm going to cut this off for now and get some rest, I took an insane amount of pictures and video, and need to find time to upload etc (not sure how to do the videos here?) for those interested in the shots.

In closing, one thing that really really stuck in my mind was that the 15" woofers added so much presence to the music but had none of that overwhelming hum/thump when overblown, or not positioned well, it was in a word, perfect, unlike anything I've ever experienced, and second the use of the UHF supertweeter at a relatively low, audible xover point, adding a holographic airy, VERY APPARENT, third dimension that you could feel going through you on every track--this was a dimension of sound no mid/tweeter combo I've ever heard, including the many many B&W I heard today with that great tweeter, could even come close to reproducing. Today was a great great day, but also sad in that I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to go back to avg normal sets now that I've swallowed the "blue pill" :o::o:

I've dreamt of a day where I might buy be able to buy an TS8000, S4600, or S4800, but knowing the Everest is out there, I feel I'll be haunted knowing even $10K only gets you a fraction of the way. A blessing and curse of a day maybe?

4313B
08-09-2009, 06:13 AM
In closing, one thing that really really stuck in my mind was that the 15" woofers added so much presence to the music but had none of that overwhelming hum/thump when overblown, or not positioned well, it was in a word, perfect, unlike anything I've ever experienced:yes:

It kind of makes you wonder about all the folks who have never heard a pair bitching and moaning on the Internet about the published specifications doesn't it?
Today was a great great day, but also sad in that I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to go back to avg normal sets now that I've swallowed the "blue pill"Yeah, I hear you... :o:

demon
08-09-2009, 10:50 AM
thanks for sharing your experience!

when i heard the everest this summer it was in a very bad sounding room at a high-end fair and it sure wasnt anywhere near the perfect setup for it (it was on a "sarturday" (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=252893#post252893)).
but what i remember is how impressed i was by the simple coolness of the musical appearance, and how "oldschool" it sounded -oldschool in the best sense! the operator played some very well chosen tracks, and mixed quite a few very old recordings into the session -and it did never sound antique as expected, but always extremely natural and, well, just relaxed and cool.
for me the everest is a totally oldschool design. some things might have changed in the meantime but that doesnt mean that they have gotten any better... listening to the most enhanced oldschool-speaker in the world sure told me what a real speaker has to look like.

my friend visited the same shop i tokyo as you last month and listened to the K2 99oo for some time. since then he asks himself how he can live without it.

cheers,
mikey

spkrman57
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
I hear you!!! How can you listen to your own system after hearing the best???

I would love to hear a pair of DD66000's myself someday if I ever get the chance.

Regards, Ron

Doc Mark
08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi, JBLAddict,

Congratulations on your extreme good fortune to be able to listen to the real SOTA from JBL these days!! A rare happenstance, indeed!! I would dearly love to hear a pair of DD66000 one of these days, but know that, if it actually came to pass, I'd be figuring out how to get $61,000+ of "disposable income" so that I could own them!!! :bouncy::bouncy::applaud::applaud::D:D Again, congrats on your "Nirvanic" JBL experience, and thanks for sharing it with us! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

bone215
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Thank you for that wonderful write up.

Titanium Dome
08-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Here, take a cookie. I promise, by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel right as rain.

And by the time you get back home, your L7s won't seem near as bad.

-----------------------

Great report BTW. Looking forward to your further posts. :yes:

JBLAddict
08-10-2009, 01:12 AM
does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will just that, nothing not show hear before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.

4313B
08-10-2009, 02:44 AM
I'm still a little speechless and unable to articulate how this differs from any other experience, in particular the Everest, which I somehow assumed would just be an overpowered K2.Oh hell no.

Remember that thing called Project May? Basically S9800 components with two extra 1500AL's tossed in for good measure? Did it ever get built? I won't say anything further until the last of the S9800's are sold.
does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will just that, nothing not show hear before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.YouTube?

hjames
08-10-2009, 03:59 AM
does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to post the videos? They're low quality taken from a cell phone but suprisingly allow you to feel it just a bit. The pictures will do just that, nothing not show here before but a tape of a demonstration, even at low quality is somewhat rare.

Videos?
Load them up on YouTube and post the link in here ...

JBLRaiser
08-10-2009, 04:46 AM
I look forward to your pics and vids.

robertbartsch
08-10-2009, 08:02 AM
...I don't doubt the new JBL systems are very good.

Unfortunately for the Harman company and its shareholders, I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.

Sure they can sell these a few of these ultra high priced units to a few ultra high net-worth consumers, but does that promote growth in its businesses or just growth in eletism?

Hoerninger
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
... I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.

There have already been remarks, for example:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=252047&postcount=264

SEAWOLF97
08-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately for the Harman company and its shareholders, I think their pricing is indicative of a company that is out-of-touch with reality and their consumer base.

JBL consumer base ?? is there one anymore ? (dont know abt Harmans consumer base ..they dont really sell much that I want)

as I evaluate the forum...most prefer the L-series or 43xx/44xx over anything affordable produced in the 21st century by JBL.

I spend 3 hours the other day talking to an audio enthusiast who has been in the US for 10 years and likes to buy new. He said that in his thinking.. (having never used L-series) that..JBL and CV were twins. :blink: (not much of a recommendation)

jcrobso
08-10-2009, 08:47 AM
The last time I had an experience like that was in 1963 went I got to spend 3 hours in an Allied Radio demo room loaded with most of the JBL product line of that era.

4313B
08-10-2009, 08:50 AM
JBL consumer base ?? is there one anymore ?The JBL Consumer base is HUGE. It just happens to reside outside the United States.

Without the splendid Asian marketplace, there would be virtually no need for exemplary systems like the K2-S9900 or Everest II. They literally drive demand for these extremely well engineered and manufactured systems.

There is very little interest in such systems in the Walmart States of America.

BMWCCA
08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
(dont know abt Harmons consumer base ..they dont really sell much that I want)Careful. There are those here who will take your typo and spin it to say you know nothing about what you're discussing—all because of a one-letter typo! BTDT. ;)

There is very little interest in such systems in the Walmart States of America. Somehow I doubt there is much interest in them, either, outside the moneyed elite in Japan. There is a WalMart in Japan, they just kept the name Seiyu. Maybe not as ubiquitous there as WalMart is here, but saying there is no market for JBL here is denying the market-share many TOTL products for the wealthy have in the U.S.

We always get to this point in this discusion and no one can show a targeted attempt on the part of JBL marketing at making a dent in the high-end-speaker market. We're told there is no point so there is no effort expended. Certainly I'm not a buyer for systems costing more than a year of the cost-of-attendance at the finest liberal arts colleges in the U.S., but then I did drop several thousand on a JBL pair just this year to buy used. Had there been a choice close to that in the new-product line, who knows how my purchase would have ended up. The fact is there is no marketing, no dealer organization, and nowhere to hear a JBL in the U.S. Apparently the Japanese equivalent of Times Square offers multiple locations to hear JBL's product line. Would one high-line showroom in one major market here in the USA make no sense at all? I've raised the Apple Store model before. Maybe a Harman Store makes some sense. But not trying and simply saying there is no market when the product already exists and is built here is beyond stupid for a company with such iconic product lines.

SEAWOLF97
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
The JBL Consumer base is HUGE. It just happens to reside outside the United States.

Without the splendid Asian marketplace,

How cud I forget abt that one ? Looks like Harman doesn't ...

Have a Viet friend that on his yearly trip home carries 2 JBL bookshelf types in lieu of luggage ...sells them when he gets there and the proceeds pay for the whole trip. There still is money around for high quality (perceived) goods.

Careful. There are those here who will take your typo and spin it to say you know nothing about what you're discussing—all because of a one-letter typo! BTDT. ;)

Naw ..my old fingers arent super accurate typing anymore (like they ever were.??.)...'cides I like NCIS ..Mark seems a good guy. :) but,,,I can spell J B L correctly

Ahh. you are so right, Phil ...now that I type in Harman.com correctly...WOW ..I want it all !!! :bouncy:

4313B
08-10-2009, 09:03 AM
How cud I forget abt that one ?

Have a Viet friend that on his yearly trip home carries 2 JBL bookshelf types in lieu of luggage ...sells them when he gets there and the proceeds pay for the whole trip. There still is money around for high quality (perceived) goods.Exactly!

They watch these boards too. 95% of everything I do is for someone outside the United States. This is a tiny weeny ity bity marketplace full of people that can't even afford genuine JBL recone kits and diaphragms let alone complete JBL loudspeaker systems. Times have definitely changed. :o:

We have ONE guy on here that has a Synthesis System? WTF? Twenty years ago people would have been all over those things. :yes: Case in point - all the old JBL loudspeaker systems guys keep finding all over the place here in the States. And all those old JBL's are getting exported too. You can bank on it.

jblsound
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Exactly!

They watch these boards too. 95% of everything I do is for someone outside the United States. This is a tiny weeny ity bity marketplace full of people that can't even afford genuine JBL recone kits and diaphragms let alone complete JBL loudspeaker systems. Times have definitely changed. :o:

We have ONE guy on here that has a Synthesis System? WTF? Twenty years ago people would have been all over those things. :yes: Case in point - all the old JBL loudspeaker systems guys keep finding all over the place here in the States. And all those old JBL's are getting exported too. You can bank on it.

It would seem, that in the USA, the amount of disposable income, for the average American, has dropped, compared to 30~40 years ago. If you compare JBLs price/wage ratio then, to today's prices/wages ratio.
In fact for all price/wage ratios are way out of whak now compared to then.

Fred Sanford
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Exactly!

For what it's worth, the company I worked with installed a number of JBL Synthesis systems. None of those buyers are the type to frequent a board like this, though, they're too busy making more millions of dollars every day.

Would we have sold many, many more of them (and other JBL systems) if they were easier for our sales & purchasing & engineering teams to see/test/demo? Oh, hell yeah, I think so. I hated to sell blind- if I couldn't get my hands on something to KNOW its attributes, I didn't take the gamble (unless it was a client request). There's lots of $$$ getting spent on uber-high-end audio here in the US, but in my experience it's the brands people ask for, or it's the brands that system designers know & trust & have access to.

je

4313B
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
It would seem, that in the USA, the amount of disposable income, for the average American, has dropped, compared to 30~40 years ago. If you compare JBLs price/wage ratio then, to today's prices/wages ratio.
In fact for all price/wage ratios are way out of whak now compared to then.Very true. It's certainly dire here in the rust belt.

For what it's worth, the company I worked with installed a number of JBL Synthesis systems. None of those buyers are the type to frequent a board like this, though, they're too busy making more millions of dollars every day.Yep, we've talked about that too.

My company just laid off 1,100 co-workers in my state and made the rest of us take a week furlough. The CEO got a raise. Maybe he'll buy a pair of Everest II's :rotfl:

jblsound
08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Very true. It's certainly dire here in the rust belt.
Yep, we've talked about that too.

My company just laid off 1,100 co-workers in my state and made the rest of us take a week furlough. The CEO got a raise. Maybe he'll buy a pair of Everest II's :rotfl:

But it was even before the housing/bank crash. The prices of the L212, 250Ti, or before then, L100 etc were within reach of most Americans, if they chose to buy. Same with the price of cars, houses then compared to now. Even with repos prices today, still not as cheap/wages as then.

JeffW
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
But it was even before the housing/bank crash. The prices of the L212, 250Ti, or before then, L100 etc were within reach of most Americans, if they chose to buy. Same with the price of cars, houses then compared to now. Even with repos prices today, still not as cheap/wages as then.

I was one of them. I strolled into the nearest JBL dealer and bought a pair of L220As cash, I would have bought 250tis if he'd had 'em. They were in the brochure, he just didn't have any on hand.

Now that store is still in business, but no longer carries any JBL products.
Even if he did, I'm not certain I'd walk right in and plop down $40K for a Synthesis system. Even the 250ti would have only been about 3 weeks pay back then, sadly I don't make $13.3K/week even these days ($40K was what I think it was hinted at that the Synthesis system in question cost, but I admit I don't know if a solid figure was ever attached. Apologies if this figure is incorrect).

We have ONE guy on here that has a Synthesis System? WTF? Twenty years ago people would have been all over those things.

4313B, do you not own a Synthesis system?

SEAWOLF97
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Hey !!! thats what JBL needs , take a lesson from the car dealers ...

CASH for CLUNKERS :applaud:

trade in your old 901's for $35/$45 allowance towards new JBL's :applaud::applaud:

from the review of the 4338...if it were under $5k ..might sell well here. ?

4313B
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
4313B, do you not own a Synthesis system?Nope. I had the house for such a thing ten years ago but not anymore. :no:

from the review of the 4338...if it were under $5k ..might sell well here. ?That's a tough one... 4345's or 4338's for under $5k...

Titanium Dome
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Even the 250ti would have only been about 3 weeks pay back then, sadly I don't make $13.3K/week even these days ($40K was what I think it was hinted at that the Synthesis system in question cost, but I admit I don't know if a solid figure was ever attached. Apologies if this figure is incorrect).

4313B, do you not own a Synthesis system?

It took me seven months to pay off my L100s, a Kenwood KR-6160, and a Dual 1219. That's after I saved enough money for a down payment to put them on layaway.

It's taken me six months to pay off the Synthesis® system, after saving enough to pay about half up front.

The big difference is the credit card, which gave me the Synthesis® system right away. ;)

Generally, I pay off credit cards in the same month I use them, but in this case, I made an exception. I wanted this Synthesis® system as badly as I wanted those L100s.

Your Synthesis® cost estimate is off quite a bit, but I won't say high or low. :p It's a fine line on my part between giving out useful information and looking like a braggart or appearing to be richer or more cunning than I am. Truly what I am is someone who will make big sacrifices and forego other things to get what I really want.

I am very lucky, and I am very committed. I'm committed to having the best current JBL gear I can afford, even if I need to tighten my budget for a half year or more, just as I did in 1970. I did the same in getting the L7s, then the same again in getting the Performance Series. Today's JBL top gear is better IMO. The higher you go, the better it gets. That's my confirmed opinion, and it's worth buying up to the level one can sacrifice to achieve.

Even now, I think about how I can get a pair of K2 S9900, or maybe even some Everest DD66000s. Now that would be something. :D

Titanium Dome
08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
BTW, JBLaddict may find himself looking for ways to sacrifice now that he really knows what's out there. I've no doubt if the desire is there he can someday bring that dream experience in Japan into his home.

robertbartsch
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I've been to Asia on business >5o times in the last 6 years.

Their personal income and wealth has not surpassed our standard of living in the US.

What has changed is the value of the US doillar in relation to other currencies. Deficit spending by the US government is making this situation worse, unfortuntely.

Horn Savant
08-10-2009, 11:51 PM
$40K was what I think it was hinted at that the Synthesis system in question cost, ?

One can always buy classic JBL or Altec components + crossover parts from catalogs and make an economical custom system that will sound AMAZING - even tho (as Greg Timbers points out) they won't match the power rating and distortion specs of state of the art (Synthesis). But for lower level (realistic) listening SPL's will be perfectly adequate.

With DIY, you can also even some advantages: like lower crossover freqs that manufacturers shy away from due to warranty and power rating considerations.

Fred Sanford
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM
One can always buy classic JBL or Altec components + crossover parts from catalogs and make an economical custom system that will sound AMAZING - even tho (as Greg Timbers points out) they won't match the power rating and distortion specs of state of the art (Synthesis). But for lower level (realistic) listening SPL's will be perfectly adequate.

With DIY, you can also even some advantages: like lower crossover freqs that manufacturers shy away from due to warranty and power rating considerations.

Synthesis is a system - it's far from "perfectly adequate", and its advantages go well above & beyond power ratings & distortion specs. It sounds as if you're saying that the main advantage of Synthesis is that it can play loudly...

je

Titanium Dome
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Synthesis is a system - it's far from "perfectly adequate", and its advantages go well above & beyond power ratings & distortion specs. It sounds as if you're saying that the main advantage of Synthesis is that it can play loudly...

je

This is such a great insight, that I'm taking your quote over to the Synthesis® thread for comment.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=261579&postcount=364

Ian Mackenzie
08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Nice to read about another visit to Japan.

Perhaps we should compile a thread or read only reference area to posts specific to actual experiences and photos.

JBLAddict
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry this is all with a cellphone, which was the best I could do, the sales guys, especially at AR were strict on no picture taking, so I had to sneak what I could when they had their back turned.

Refino and Anhelo, home of the 4338, S4600, TS8000, TS6000

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00048.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00054.jpg

S4600
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00049.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00058.jpg

LS80--disappointing sound, my L5 kills these, L7 absolutely crushes them in every way
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00057.jpg

Dynamic Audio, home of K29900, Everest 66000

Everest setup I listened to, DartZeel amp, preamp, Luxman CD, tube amps hooked to MF/HF, not sure what brand
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/Everest73.jpg
closeup
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/Everest74.jpg

Everest video, let me know if this works and I'll post the others
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=Everest72.flv

JBLAddict
08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Dynamic Audio outsideDynamic Audio outside

K29900, 4338 and TS8000 in background

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/DynamicAudioAkihabara.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00074.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00075.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00076.jpg

my favorite pic, a mini 4312M (about 10" high) at a headphone shop next to Dynamic Audio, perfectly functional except the pres/bril didn't actually turn, the fact that they made this for the Japan market speaks to the iconic nature of the brand there....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00077.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/Everest75.jpg

26K per pair Wilsons
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/Wilsons.jpg

Titanium Dome
08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
It looks like those "Alien" horn thingies are partially blocking the Everests?

Those 4312 minis are really only 10" tall?

Interesting pictures. Thanks for posting. :bouncy:

JBLAddict
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
It looks like those "Alien" horn thingies are partially blocking the Everests?

Interesting pictures. Thanks for posting. :bouncy:

they were partially blocking them, yes

the minis were in fact that small, maybe 12" 13", I'm sure exactly but I was kneeling right in front of it just a few inches away, which makes them look large....was really really cool

AmericanPie
08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I've just seen my new Holy Grail. I think I'll just bypass the L300s I've been lusting after for years and begin saving for the Everests. But first I'll have to buy a house with a room worthy enough.:blink:

Fangio
08-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Sorry this is all with a cellphone, ...
Everest video, let me know if this works and I'll post the others
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=Everest72.flv

Great cellphone. Video works fine for me. I also like that particular Sade song.. :thmbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Have had a similar experience not too long ago, when my local hifi dealer was selling a used pair E2. They made some time unlimited, half private listening sessions possible for certain customers – a true pleasure:

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/MacFangio/JBLE2_Hinterhof/

Hoerninger
08-13-2009, 04:56 AM
... a used pair E2. They made some time unlimited, half private listening sessions possible ...

Presumably not abused. ;)
Lucky guy!

4313B
08-13-2009, 05:59 AM
I've just seen my new Holy Grail. I think I'll just bypass the L300s I've been lusting after for years and begin saving for the Everests.If you have room for L300's then just buy or build four-ways instead. The ten-inch between the fifteen or eighteen and the fog horn does wonders.
But first I'll have to buy a house with a room worthy enough.:blink:Not really... I know several guys who have them in typical plain old American living rooms. They sound just fine.

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
If you have room for L300's then just buy or build four-ways instead. The ten-inch between the fifteen or eighteen and the fog horn does wonders. ... I know several guys who have them in typical plain old American living rooms. They sound just fine.

:wave:

:thmbsup:

Fangio
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Presumably not abused. ;)

Define abused – and consider through whom? Exibition staff... :barf:

These went to a LOT of exibitions before they finally made it into private hands – and certainly have a better life now. The new owner also did not have to pay the list price.

Hoerninger
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Define abused ... :barf:

Sonically inferior -you have been dissapointed?
- I liked to listen to them.

Fangio
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh no, sonically there was nothing wrong with them, not at all. As I said a great experience, especially to try your own CD's this time.. :)

Cosmetically they were not absolutely mint anymore from being carried around, as you would expect from typical exibition pieces. But nothing serious.

Would love to hear S4600's soon, maybe I get a chance at the IFA this year. I like the look, and they are more probably affordable.

AmericanPie
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
This might be common knowledge here, but where are these high-end JBL's being designed and manufactured today? In Japan?

Is the old factory in CA still producing the lesser stuff?

4313B
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
This might be common knowledge here, but where are these high-end JBL's being designed and manufactured today? In Japan?

Is the old factory in CA still producing the lesser stuff?The TOTL items are still coming out of Northridge. Everything else has been moved to Mexico, China, etc.

Titanium Dome
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Is the old factory in CA still producing the lesser stuff?

It's the opposite. Most consumer stuff in now manufactured outside the US. Harman has a big plant in Mexico that is pretty impressive.

Some production is still in Northridge, CA, but it's the expensive stuff.

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
The TOTL items are still coming out of Northridge. Maybe the drivers and networks are but aren't many of the cabinets actually constructed in Europe, perhaps Denmark, including the E-IIs? In those cases is final assembly done in California? Or in systems like the L90/L9000; are those assembled overseas from U.S. drivers with European-sourced cabinets?

4313B
08-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not going to argue about where this or that is from. Suffice it to say that JBL is no longer a turnkey organization based solely in the San Fernando Valley.

BMWCCA
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not going to argue about where this or that is from. Suffice it to say that JBL is no longer a turnkey organization based solely in the San Fernando Valley.Just curious since we've seen Euro Everest-II auctions offering order-to-spec color choices, and we've seen smaller models that say "Made in Denmark" but often seem to have the same drivers as our American models of old. It's nothing to hide or a question to side-step. Harman itself is an "International" company so who would be surprised if parts of even the DD6600 came from elsewhere? Figured it made sense to at least assemble Euro-only models in Europe, no matter where the parts come from. We all know that in this global economy not every component comes from one country. Just ask the UAW and check out the required content labels on new cars. :)

caladois
08-14-2009, 12:48 AM
I just read the 4 pages. Thanks for posting.

hjames
08-14-2009, 02:53 AM

Yeah, what gorgeous speakers!
Now THAT' is a Speaker Safari!

4313B
08-14-2009, 07:07 AM
LS80--disappointing sound, my L5 kills these, L7 absolutely crushes them in every wayAwww... poor LS Series...

JBLAddict
08-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Awww... poor LS Series...

this was on my short list of hopefuls, but at 5K a pair even more disappointing. the TS6000 was also very disappointing, in particular in comparison to the TS8000.

now this may be because the TS6000 and LS80 were on the switchable wall of speakers hooked to the house electronics, whereas the others were hooked to dedicated systems, but the B&Ws and ELACs next to them sounded very good with the the same house electronics

4313B
08-16-2009, 07:08 AM
this was on my short list of hopefuls, but at 5K a pair even more disappointing.Others have expressed similar views. I was hopeful for them too.

jblsound
08-16-2009, 09:53 AM
this was on my short list of hopefuls, but at 5K a pair even more disappointing. the TS6000 was also very disappointing, in particular in comparison to the TS8000.

now this may be because the TS6000 and LS80 were on the switchable wall of speakers hooked to the house electronics, whereas the others were hooked to dedicated systems, but the B&Ws and ELACs next to them sounded very good with the the same house electronics

As for the LS, it had received the EISA award for '08~'09. So one would think it should be quite good. And at their price should be close to performance of a PS stack.
But in store that had speakers everywhere in a given room, not all models can be setup in the prime spot of that room either.

JBLAddict
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
As for the LS, it had received the EISA award for '08~'09. So one would think it should be quite good. And at their price should be close to performance of a PS stack.
But in store that had speakers everywhere in a given room, not all models can be setup in the prime spot of that room either.

the thing is, as you can see in the pic, they're just sitting lined up side by side, and the differences were stark, the LS80 vocals were so recessed, muffled, dead, the co-worker I was traveling with just made a face like "ughhh", quick switch the ELAC and B/W and the vocals came to life with suddenly exceptional high end as well, it was literally a night and day comparison, and one I doubt any amount of positioning was going to fix.....

perhaps they needed much more power than the competition in the same way the L7 needs it for the 4ohm sections (3-5kHz) to come to life? outside of that dunno....

jblsound
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
The LS80 isn't all that efficient @ 90db considering its a horn loaded compression driver system, and only rated @ 200w.
By comparison, the PT800 is rated @ 91db and 250w. Of coarse it rolls off @ 80htz.

I certainly don't doubt what you heard. As I've never heard them I'd only be guessing, but it would seem that something was off.
I do like the looks of the LS, especially compared to the ES, Studio L, PS boxes.

Titanium Dome
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, they simply need to get their shit together and produce another four-way, direct radiator tower. You know, in the tradition of L250, 250Ti, XPL200, L7 and/or PT800/PS1400 stack. (Dare I even mention the TL260? You KNOW that's not what I mean. :no: )

Oh wait, maybe that four-way, high end turf has been ceded to Revel. :dont-know

The Revel Ultima2 Salon is very impressive, but there's still a place for a 12" or 14" based four-way IMNSHO. It belongs in the JBL consumer line, like just below Array. I pledge to pay up to $10,000 for a pair. They could make about 40% mark up on that. Find 2,499 other guys and gals worldwide who'd pay that much, and it might just save the consumer side of the brand.

JBLAddict
08-20-2009, 09:51 AM

are those your 4338's in the avatar?

caladois
08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
are those your 4338's in the avatar?

Yes

JBLAddict
08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Side view of E2
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00065.jpg

Closeup of UHF/MF, what's that on the top?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00067.jpg

Revel Ultima Salon2/Nautilus
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00060.jpg

Another Everest video taken on digital camera, funny listening to this crap recording, I can still "feel" the bliss of what it was like sitting in that room
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=Everest71.flv

few more Everest videos- from cell phone, low quality video, sound a little clearer than the digital camera
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=VID00038.flv
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=VID00041.flv

will add K2 videos in a minute, Photobucket not cooperating.....

103" Panasonic Plasma, wanna say it was about $9K
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/IMG00059.jpg

JBLAddict
08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
K29900 videos
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=VID00042.flv
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=VID00044.flv
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/lobianco/?action=view&current=VID00045.flv

JBLAddict
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes

of all the sets I heard that day, the 4338 impressed me the most based upon price, considering a set cost 2/3 of one K2, it really shined across the frequency band.....not the prettiest speaker in the world :D but sounded just wonderful.........if I had to choose I'd spend the extra 3K to have the 4338 over the S4600

Titanium Dome
08-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Looks like Revel Ultima2 Salons there. Did you hear them? Opinion?

Horn Savant
08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
of all the sets I heard that day, the 4338 impressed me the most
How did the B&W Nautilus sound/compare to others ?

JBLAddict
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Looks like Revel Ultima2 Salons there. Did you hear them? Opinion?

I went into that room thinking I was going to complete the trifecta between the Everest, K2, and Salon the way the Speaker Gods were smiling on me that day....sadly neither the Salons nor the Nautilus were hooked up. Instead, that tiny two way in the very middle of the picture was hooked up( as you can see from the rope sized cable coming from it) and being demo'd for a customer

.... there was a sign next to them, cannot remember the brand but it said something like "small size, big sound" and I must attest, there was some amazing depth coming from those tiny boxes, I had to walk up and put my ear next to it to be sure if wasn't the Revel....really impressive.

nonetheless, if there was a single negative to that day it's that I couldn't compare the Revel to all the fine JBLs that day...to have a head to head comparison of the K2 and Salon would have been a truly rare experience, and complete just about every curiousity I have in modern Harman speakers

jblsound
08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I went into that room thinking I was going to complete the trifecta between the Everest, K2, and Salon the way the Speaker Gods were smiling on me that day....sadly neither the Salons nor the Nautilus were hooked up. Instead, that tiny two way in the very middle of the picture was hooked up( as you can see from the rope sized cable coming from it) and being demo'd for a customer

My son and I audtioned a pair of Salons in a MC system, in a small HT shop on California ave, while in SF the past two days. Very nice indeed. I was hoping to hear a pair of the Gem2, but they didn't have those.

The only problem I had with that system was the subs (pair of Velodynes) in the front corners. They were very good for movies, but when listening to music (Eagles Fairwell Tour) there was waaay too much sub in the mix, for my taste.
And I liked how they had the Salons positioned in the room, about 4~5 ft out from the wall and 3~4 ft from the side walls. I would really like to have a pair for a stereo setup. Maybe some day, after I sell/relocate.

Titanium Dome
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
My son and I audtioned a pair of Salons in a MC system, in a small HT shop on California ave, while in SF the past two days. Very nice indeed. I was hoping to hear a pair of the Gem2, but they didn't have those.

The only problem I had with that system was the subs (pair of Velodynes) in the front corners. They were very good for movies, but when listening to music (Eagles Fairwell Tour) there was waaay too much sub in the mix, for my taste.
And I liked how they had the Salons positioned in the room, about 4~5 ft out from the wall and 3~4 ft from the side walls. I would really like to have a pair for a stereo setup. Maybe some day, after I sell/relocate.

Cool. Do you think the subs were even necessary?

jblsound
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool. Do you think the subs were even necessary?

For music, probably not. On the other hand, it never hurts to have subs, as long as its not over done, imo. I don't know about those particular sub models, but I seem to remember older Velodyne subs having a switch to toggle between music and movie playback, and if that's the case they had to be set to HT.

When playing music, sometimes I play my systems w/o subs. Especially the wall mounted L212s in this room, with boundry reinforcement they play to -6db @ 35 htz. So its really how I want to listen to music, at any given time, as far as using the subs.

JBLAddict
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Interesting pictures.

I was looking through the JBL brochures I brought back from Refino and Anhelo and noted the 4312MII for 66,000 Yen ea. in the "Compact Monitor" section. It's listed as 181 x300(12")x180mm with a 133mm(5") woofer, 50mm(2") mid and 19mm (0.75") tweet

also included in the section is a 4305 with 8" and 1" comp driver, and a picture showing a TV flanked by 5 4305s with an ES150PSH sub......so it appears these are designed for mini home theater setups, capitilizing on the notoriety of JBL near field monitors

The pres/balance knobs did not turn on the one pictured, but this explains why they were functioning when I saw them and had a sign of about ~$640 ea.....should of carried a pair home :p

JBLAddict
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
just read this review while browsing around. there are many a review out there for high-end gear, typically saying the same thing in attempted different ways, but this review articulates in a way I could not, what I heard in my multi-hour session with the E2.....just an amazing amazing experience, that I only wish I could get another crack at, until then, only a memory.

http://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-project-everest-dd66000-loudspeaker/

4313B
12-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link.

Greg recently upgraded his system.

And the 1200 Arrays were nothing short of absolutely stunning.

He has tweaked his DX-1 active filter to get the Everest II's to really shine in his room. There is no need whatsoever for subwoofers so he sold them.

"While the Project Everest is about as good as you will hear a horn driver and has as little of the stereotypical "horn sound" as you will find - it still is a horn speaker."

Both the Everest II and 1200 Array are the most tolerable horn systems I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Most horn systems have me out of the room in short order. Not so with these.

"The Project Everest DD66000 is one of those few loudspeakers that can truly be called extraordinary."

Agreed.

BMWCCA
12-14-2009, 08:02 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=43207&stc=1&d=1260801441

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/7/3/Disney-Wall-E---Eyes-73390.jpg

caladois
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
That's Pure Stereo. The GT system looks more simple

timc
12-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm surprised that G.T uses the Anthem, and not the Lexicon, wich is a Harman brand.

Does he find the Anthem sounding superior, or is it because of the superior video processing?

Anyway. Very nice system.

-Tim

JBLAddict
12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
so GT upgraded to a chrome lamp over the black one? :D