PDA

View Full Version : Jbl Lx600

JSF13
08-06-2009, 05:55 AM
THere is a pair of JBL LX600 for sale right around the corner from me. Anybody know anything at all about this model?

Tks.
Joe:)

BMWCCA
08-06-2009, 06:50 AM
In my experience almost any speaker with JBL's name on it is at least worth a listen. Since you haven't mentioned price, you should give it a listen and tell us what you think.

In general, any model starting with "LX" is more of a mass-market lower-line offering. The LX600 is a three-way with 10" woofer and the ubiquitous small "pure titanium" woofer. If you go into it not expecting much you might get a mildly pleasant surprise. But what you may be asking is what is their value and for that all I can say is my LX22s surprised me and weren't a bad value at $25 since they were in perfect condition.

Here's the technical sheet on the LX600: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/Lx600%20ts.pdf

Slare
08-06-2009, 07:53 AM
The LX line was not very high on the JBL respect tier... but it depends on how you look at them. Compared to the Best Buy type G/J/Arc/Flix series crap offered near the same time... they are really nice and at least have traces of JBL. They were built better than most of the stuff you'll find in regular shops nowadays like the common Polks & so forth and even the current bottom tier JBL's.

The tweeters hold up fine as do the mids if they aren't in sunlight. The hardware in general is solid enough. However there's a good chance the woofer foam is rotten or at least very brittle. Usually this is why people decide to sell them. Around me a pair with rotten foam in otherwise nice shape would either be a ~$50 type of deal, or sold by a crazy person looking for $300. If cheap, they are a fine deal for simple stereo use if you can refoam them.

Fred Sanford
08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I got some LX300s and LX600s for my parents brand new years ago. They've held up well, but haven't been abused. I'm often impressed with the sound from them, but can't say that I've ever pushed them with rock music or demanding classical. Foams on all 4 woofers are still fine, I check them every single time I visit.

I like 'em, but wouldn't pay a lot for 'em.

je

100T3
08-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a pair of those, to me they sound quite balanced, may be the bass could be better, but it depends on the music you want to hear.
The piano sounds very natural by the way.

Fred Sanford
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I got some LX300s and LX600s for my parents brand new years ago. They've held up well, but haven't been abused. I'm often impressed with the sound from them, but can't say that I've ever pushed them with rock music or demanding classical. Foams on all 4 woofers are still fine, I check them every single time I visit.

I like 'em, but wouldn't pay a lot for 'em.

je

Just heard that my parents want me to take them away, & leave them with only the LX300s (my Dad's recently suffered some pretty severe & permanent hearing loss, and my Mom was never a big fan of the "bigger" speakers). Now I just need to figure out where I could possibly use them...hmmmm. :dont-know :hmm:

je

BMWCCA
11-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Just heard that my parents want me to take them away, & leave them with only the LX300sI was going to offer you the LX-22s for your folks but then I checked and they're nearly the same components and not much smaller. :spin:

Fred Sanford
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I was going to offer you the LX-22s for your folks but then I checked and they're nearly the same components and not much smaller. :spin:

They've had the LX600s by the TV and the LX300s by the audio rack for years- easier for them to keep the music at low volume yet still audible at all seating areas. They're good with just the LX300s now that it's only my Mom that can hear...sad, but true. Maybe I can convince him to put the LX600s at his computer desk. There are also 62Ts in my brother's room- they're pretty good, too.

Thanks for thinking of me, though- I may ask about those LX-22s if I ever blow another 026Ti in the HP420s. I've gotten kind of attached to them lately.

je

BMWCCA
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for thinking of me, though- I may ask about those LX-22s if I ever blow another 026Ti in the HP420s. They work well enough I wouldn't think you'd part them out unless you had a good reason. They play quite nicely for what they are, and they're in mint condition. The plastic "veneer" is pretty tough stuff! They recently got pushed out of the rotation by a pair of Infinity RS4001s I got for free and re-surrounded. I'm beginning to think if you give nearly any half-decent speaker a big 200-watt pro amp to work with, they'll actually sound okay. ;)

Fred Sanford
11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Dammit, I get here, look at the speakers, and OF COURSE now they're needing surrounds. :o:

LX300s playing now, LX600 woofs in the van to get dropped off tomorrow.

je