PDA

View Full Version : Need help to ID these cabinets

auxtech66
08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi All, I'm a newb here so I'm not sure this is the correct place for this post. I just purchased these speakers today and realize that they are kit or home built. I believe that they were a commercially available design due to the quality of the build. The cabs are built as mirror images, have two open ports, and blocked ports for midrange and tweets. The 15's are D130's. Anyone recognize the design? Any input would be appreciated.
The cabinets are 29in H x 23in W x 21in D

jcrobso
08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Or maybe the pro version of the L300, they are now just bass boxes with the HF drivers removed and the ports blocked. You could add the HF drivers and make the full range again.

BMWCCA
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Or maybe the pro version of the L300, they are now just bass boxes with the HF drivers removed and the ports blocked. You could add the HF drivers and make the full range again.D130 is a full-range speaker, as long as you don't expect much top or bottom-end! Very pleasant though, especially with an 075 tweet. :D

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-comp/extended.htm

auxtech66
08-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi All, I'm a newb here so I'm not sure this is the correct place for this post. I just purchased these speakers today and realize that they are kit or home built. I believe that they were a commercially available design due to the quality of the build. The cabs are built as mirror images, have two open ports, and blocked ports for midrange and tweets. The 15's are D130's. Anyone recognize the design? Any input would be appreciated.
The cabinets are 29in H x 23in W x 21in D

Ok, here is what I've found to be closest in dimensions. The 1966 product catalog shows a Studio monitor that is nearly identical in dimensions and the grill assy is of the same design. I realize that the drivers are not the same but I'm really only looking for the origin of the cabinets. Any thoughts ?

grumpy
08-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Any thoughts ?

Not sure what you're looking for... appears someone built a pair of
cabinets, similar in dimension to a JBL cabinet, and put some drivers in them,
perhaps evolving over time, or with plans for updates (hence the patches).

JBL supplied cabinet plans, and quite a few were built... some very nice
looking copies, and some that were more... utilitarian. A few versions of the
published JBL cabinet guides are available here in the Library... under Plans.

Example:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/plans/1975-kit-plans/page08.jpg

auxtech66
08-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Not sure what you're looking for... appears someone built a pair of
cabinets, similar in dimension to a JBL cabinet, and put some drivers in them,
perhaps evolving over time, or with plans for updates (hence the patches).

JBL supplied cabinet plans, and quite a few were built... some very nice
looking copies, and some that were more... utilitarian. A few versions of the
published JBL cabinet guides are available here in the Library... under Plans.

Example:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/plans/1975-kit-plans/page08.jpg

I am simply wondering if anyone recognized the cabinets as any particular design. I apologize if this seems to simplistic. I am pretty much able to determine that "someone built a pair of
cabinets, similar in dimension to a JBL cabinet, and put some drivers in them" Thanks for the input anyway.

BMWCCA
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I am simply wondering if anyone recognized the cabinets as any particular design.
I think most agree that they are a home-built interpretation of the basic JBL enclosure plans, loosely based on the old C50SM studio-monitor cabinet. But home-built for sure.

auxtech66
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I think most agree that they are a home-built interpretation of the basic JBL enclosure plans, loosely based on the old C50SM studio-monitor cabinet. But home-built for sure.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking I guess I was just looking for a little reinforcement of my opinion. Anyway, after cleaning them up a bit and installing binding posts,I rolled them into my tube system. SC ASR433 and the Fisher FM100b tuner. They are a very pleasing sounding speaker and for being an extended range driver D130 they still get fairly low while still producing decent highs. Conclusion: I Like em!!

BMWCCA
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Conclusion: I Like em!!Try 'em with some good acoustic guitar recordings, or some cello. :applaud: