PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4350 X-over ?

Loud & Clear
08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Ok, the better portion of the JBL 4350 studio monitors have had the woofers reconed. They came stock with 2231H woofers. These cones haven't been available in a long time (I was informed). They recone these to 2235H's. Question is: is the crossover point of 250hz still viable, or do we now cross them at 290hz like the JBL 4355 studio monitor, which came with these cones, although the magnet structures are different??? :o:

Mr. Widget
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Question is: is the crossover point of 250hz still viable, or do we now cross them at 290hz like the JBL 4355 studio monitor, which came with these cones, although the magnet structures are different??? :o:The bigger question is which active crossover you will be using...

The difference between 250Hz and 290Hz assuming everything else is the same is almost inaudible.

Widget

Loud & Clear
08-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Thats my thinking exactly... Mr. Widget, please look here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2316&page=10 ;)

Mr. Widget
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I just read your post... I wouldn't be too concerned with the "Made in China" label. The world we live in today is not the one we grew up in.

I recently replaced a tail light assembly on my Dad's Cadillac. The original part had a sticker that read assembled in Mexico. The new part (ordered through the dealer and labeled GM) had "Made in China" molded into the back piece and a sticker that read assembled in Slovenia. We can all point fingers at GM, but basically we now live in a truly global economy where the country of origin is becoming more and more difficult to ascertain and less and less relevant.

As for your crossover query, just use the Ashly XR1001... it is a pretty decent sounding unit for the money and you already have it. We have discussed this topic to death and there are conflicting points of view... many by people who have never even used these devices. :applaud:

Widget

Loud & Clear
08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, I can't help but worry. The "Made in China" breaker bar & 1" socket is always the prettiest. But when I apply 300ft/lbs of torque to a semi lug nut, I would much rather use the American made Snap On. That way I don't loose my teeth when I put the muscle into it and it shatters. I've had this experience before, but didn't loose my teeth thank heaven ;)

One poor guy here in town fired up his "Made in China" bench grinder, and it blew up in his face. His face is a mess now. I had a "Made in China" craftsmen bench grinder. I would fire it up, and stand to the side. There was so much vibration I couldn't believe it. So I trued up the stones, still the un-godly vibration. I then noticed the thickness of the stones were not equal in all places around the circumference, and the visors were so cheap, you bump em a couple times, and they metal fatigue, and fall off. I sold that grinder, with full disclosure on the grinding wheels, and drove 8 hours round trip, to pick up a craftsmen 1hp bench grinder made in the 70's that I got off a Utah classified site. I had the seller plug it in for me, and fire it up. Smooth as silk, and built extremely well to...

I guess you can see why I'm leary. I've had alot more experiences like this one, but I think you get the gest of it. ;)

EDIT: Maybe electronics is different. I'll bet the chassis on the JBL x-over is much heavier than the ashly. But I guess it's the sound that matters... :) I do however like to keep my fellow Americans in there jobs, and not in the unemployment lines...

Mr. Widget
08-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Well...I understand completely... I have always bought premium tools... and typically fairly premium audio gear. My French made locking pliers are significantly better than my older USA made Vise Grips... my Tennessee made Powermatic table saw is a joy to use... I'd much rather saw through 8/4 maple with that saw than any of the new crop of imports.

My point was that labels have ceased to have any real meaning. Even Harley Davidsons are made up of some imported components. The circuit board of my "Australian" made DEQX was made and loaded in China before being sent to Australia where it was tested and installed in it's case with power supply and I/O boards sourced from other places....

As for the quality of Chinese made Ashlys vs. the previous generation of US made products, who knows, they could be as good, even better, or perhaps they cut too many corners and have ruined the product. I haven't heard any feedback about them. If your XR1001 is the newer one, there are plenty of older US made ones on the market. Rest assured that all of the individual components inside the "USA" made units are imported.:D

As for American jobs... we all need jobs. Americans, Germans, the French, the Chinese... I do think it is wrong to close a factory and fire everyone just to make a short term profit, but since virtually every company is doing it, it becomes rather difficult to find "the good guys".

Widget

Mr. Widget
08-02-2009, 04:44 PM
EDIT: Maybe electronics is different. I'll bet the chassis on the JBL x-over is much heavier than the ashly. But I guess it's the sound that matters... :) I do however like to keep my fellow Americans in there jobs, and not in the unemployment lines...Very little of JBL products are made here anymore... a lot of the better stuff have parts sourced from USA and Asia and is assembled in Mexico. That is the case for the JBL Synthesis SAM speakers. They are built as well as vintage JBLs... and cost about as much when inflation is factored in.

Widget

Loud & Clear
08-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm with ya. I know that most the components in electronics gear, is made in Japan usually. The Japanese just make better electronic components. I also realize in this day & age, one product can be made from products from all over the world, or even shipped to & fro. IT'S JUST SO FRUSTRATING, TO AN OLD CODGER (48 Y.O. FRIDAY) LIKE ME :D. Can I addapt, I just don't know. Maybe when the good ole stuff runs out IE: JBL L-300's, BGW, and Etc...

On a side note. I have even noticed the craftsmenship suffering in American made stuff. Pride in one's work... Where has it gone???:banghead:

I'm going to leave it alone, and just listen for awhile. If I listen closely & read between the line sometimes, it all becomes much more clear :)...