PDA

View Full Version : LE111A Recone Concern

Scooter
07-28-2009, 05:36 AM
I recently had Meniscus Audio recone the LE111A woofers from my L110s. I specified JBL parts only. The new cones do not have aquaplas on the back, and the suspensions seem to be very stiff. The bass lacks tightness and definition--on the "muddy" side. The box is tight and in good condition. I am wondering if the parameters are different now? Disappointing after spending so much money. I've always been satisfied with the work done by Meniscus. Wish I had an original LE111A to compare it to. I am open to tweaking suggestions.

Scott

BMWCCA
07-28-2009, 05:58 AM
I recently had Meniscus Audio recone the LE111A woofers from my L110s. I specified JBL parts only.
A quick look at the JBL servicing-dealer list for Wisconsin (and surrounding states) didn't turn up a "Meniscus". As far as I know, that's the only way you can get an original JBL kit. :dont-know

Pictures might help. ;)

Scooter
07-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Meniscus is in Grand Rapids MI I am not positive that he is an authorized JBL repair business, but I'd be surprised if he is not. The question in my mind is whether the kits from JBL still have the aquaplas coating on the cone. If they do, well... (expletive deleted).

BMWCCA
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Meniscus is in Grand Rapids MI I am not positive that he is an authorized JBL repair business, but I'd be surprised if he is not. The question in my mind is whether the kits from JBL still have the aquaplas coating on the cone. If they do, well... (expletive deleted).They're not listed as JBL-authorized in Michigan, either…or Indiana, or Illinois. But then you could ask them if they are, and what they used. After all, you are the customer! I can't wait to hear the explanation.

Best I can tell from the "goes-into" list, these are the possibilities:
C8RLE10H-1 $238.00 LE10H-1, LE111A, LE111H
C8RLE111A $230.00 LE111A, LE10H-1, LE111H
C8RLE111H $200.00 LE111H, LE111A, LE10H-1 but others here should know what's available currently. I'd suggest you post some photos to pique their interest.

A real JBL recone should probably have a mark like this from my re-coned L96 LE10H-1:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=38963&d=1241117013

Signed and dated as below (notice the aquaplas):

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=38964&d=1241117150

LRBacon
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I recently had Meniscus Audio recone the LE111A woofers from my L110s. I specified JBL parts only. The new cones do not have aquaplas on the back, and the suspensions seem to be very stiff. The bass lacks tightness and definition--on the "muddy" side. The box is tight and in good condition. I am wondering if the parameters are different now? Disappointing after spending so much money. I've always been satisfied with the work done by Meniscus. Wish I had an original LE111A to compare it to. I am open to tweaking suggestions.

Scott

I've had a few LE111Hs and LE111As reconed, they have all had Aquaplas and the suspensions have been on the very compliant side. Sounds like they sold you a pair of aftermarket recone kits.

Larry

Scooter
07-29-2009, 05:07 AM
I'll pull one out when I get back home. If it's an aftermarket, I cannot imagine why he (Mark at Meniscus) would not tell me so, after so many years of doing business.

Thanks very much for the insight. I'll follow up when I learn more.

Scott

4313B
07-29-2009, 06:02 AM
If it's an aftermarket, I cannot imagine why he would not tell me so, after so many years of doing business.Alot of people, Audio enthusiasts included, just don't think that it matters. If a driver is capable of making any kind of reasonable noise then it's good to go as far as they're concerned. We've a bunch of guys here on this very forum (of all places) that seem to think the same way so I wouldn't be too shocked if I were you.

Ralph856
07-29-2009, 06:23 AM
If the OP specified 'JBL Parts only' (and they agreed) then that's what he should have got, regardless of whether they are a JBL service centre or not. No?

Scooter
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
More disappointment than shocked, though I have to agree. Some self-proclaimed experts hold the opinion that distortion numbers are so high with the older "vintage" stuff, that it's not worth messing around with (Zaph Audio, for one) and that the cost of JBL original parts is a waste. I also have a number of very pricey Scan Speak woofers and tweeters, but I would rather listen to my charge-coupled L112s. I tend to think that some of those know-it-alls that are so fixated with measurements have trouble hearing subtle differences--esp. in capacitors.

4313B
07-29-2009, 10:21 AM
... the cost of JBL original parts is a waste.Yeah, starting back in the 60's there were groups of audio engineers, manufactures and enthusiasts who thought JBL was on dope for building such expensive transducers.

I remember thinking "Now that's a driver!" when I saw my first JBL. It was blatantly apparent to me which end was up.
I tend to think that some of those know-it-alls that are so fixated with measurements have trouble hearing subtle differences--esp. in capacitors.Hey now, they're just trying to fill their empty days in any way they can think of before they finally die. Measuring various junk can actually be quite time consuming and I would assume that they enjoy it somehow. The know-it-all part exists only in the minds of them and their minions. No one else cares. :)

Robh3606
07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Some self-proclaimed experts hold the opinion that distortion numbers are so high with the older "vintage" stuff, that it's not worth messing around with (Zaph Audio, for one) and that the cost of JBL original parts is a waste.

Who cares what they think. I have Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters playing through my hoplessly distorted 80's vintage 4344's. Getting ready to go to the Beacon tonight to see them. Talk about a satisfying way to get ready for the show. It sounds great distortion warts and all.

Rob:dancin:

Scooter
07-30-2009, 05:33 AM
I am certain now that my LE111A recones are clones. Pardon me, whilst I take a moment to feel hosed.

Okay, I'm back... I think that I will allow a little cooling off period before I speak with the person that did the recone work. Three or four years should suffice. Back to the drawing board, and back to the savings account. This is how we learn (brick to head!). I hope the L110s will forgive me for tarnishing their dignity.

By the way, would it alright for me to use the N11OA network, substituting the LE111A for the LE111H?

Thanks

LRBacon
07-30-2009, 05:10 PM
By the way, would it alright for me to use the N11OA network, substituting the LE111A for the LE111H?

Thanks

Nothing says you can't. You could give it a try and see how it sounds. Who knows you might like it. The LE111H can be substituted for the LE111A in the original L110 system. There is a difference acoustically between the woofers. I would think the LE111A could be used in the L110A system.

Larry