PDA

View Full Version : L100/4310 - 4311 - The Resurrection

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2004, 02:49 AM
The purpose of this thread is talk about the merits and dynamic qualities of this JBL Speaker system.

Despite the fact that this is a Lansing Heritage Forum there is a perception and a tendancy to take the performance of this monitor series out of context in favour of more recent models.

While there may be logical arguments as to improved technology & engineering advances in more recent designs, the fact is that this monitor has fulfilled a specific need with unprecedent demand.

This issue came up in a recent on-line discussion among senior members so we as a Forum need to re position this percpetion as opposed to debating comparions with designs 30 years younger

Ian Mackenzie

Figge
06-13-2004, 04:07 AM
HI! i love these speakers. and have done so ever since i´ve heard em the first time 10 years ago. they love to play rock´n rolll! not many speakers does this better, with exeption of some other jbls. 4311 probably would kill anything u drag home from a audiostore at under $2000. maybe even more! i compared them to a pair of infinity SM-155 couple of years ago they did cost $2000. shure there was lots of bass mid and treble in those big speakers perfect for euro-tecno maybe. but when playing music in to those it sounded like shit! compared to 4311. for me the L-100/4311 has been the guiding light that now finally led me to 4430. i will still love these speakers even though i bought the 4430

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2004, 06:26 AM
My first experience was hearing the 4311 from an adjacent studio at a local TV network. I was expecting to see a large monitor when I entered the control room, but there they were perched in a near field location in front the Neve Desk.

I have owned my L100 (4311A) system for only 18 months and find they are very appropriate for near field monitoring. Their compact size and crisp dynamics continues to impress.

Far from the rock heritage of the 70's and 80's , what I find quite remarkable with the L100's is that they are easily capable of discerning and assessing subtle differences in todays state of art amplification.

Today I use the L100 as a control reference.

Ian Mackenzie

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2004, 07:03 AM
I have no doubt new models bring refinements but thats not the point here.

More to the point here is that "a grungy amplifier" will make this speaker sound awful in varying degrees. Probably 1/2 the L100s sold are used that way!

Ian

John Nebel
06-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Giskard,

L100 raffle. "Control reference" is a good use.

John

boputnam
06-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey, Ian...

Originally posted by Giskard
The 4400 (http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/4400.htm) series would be another option. Agree completely with that. Wonderful group. I do like the 4301B's, but find the littler 4406 a wonderful near-field. Certainly either are better balanced for that application than the L100. JMnHO...

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Sure Bo,

I don't disagree.

But we could Eq that characteristic out too. What I am saying is that I can play the same Corrs track over and over, make subtle changes to the audio electronics and hear the difference without concerning myself whether I like Andrea's vocals or not.

When the audio signal is pure enough, you can then apply those listening skills to the production values of the recording.

Not many speakers are capable of that and many gloss over the details leaving the sub consious to fill in the gaps. I am talking about the domestic hifi speaker here, smooth, polite and your whole collection sounds great. Not so with a control monitor.

The professional operator in a master control suite of your local TV station or post production film editor in the booth needs similar precision. It may not be the flattest monitor but that is not the key criteria in all situations.

Perhaps this is where there is some confusion at least as far as the 4311/L100 is concerned.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
It would be interesting to hear some background from the designer of the recent incarnations of the 4311, the Century Gold being the most recent.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1996-century-gold.htm

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 04:10 AM
Giskard,

Can you elaborate on the voicing and the reasons for the change in direction?

Ian

John Nebel
06-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Giskard,

"Control reference" to me means anything you want it to mean as long as every time you power it up, it does the same thing.

There may or may not have been subtle humor in the original statement.

John

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi John,

At last someone who actually understands the terminology.

The fact is when I am testing an amplifier I am mainly listening for a difference and if something goes amiss then the L100 is the sacrificial lamb.

My L100's are otherwise normally used for rear surround 5.1 which is mainly effects..........nearly had all you guys fooled LOL

Ian

4313B
06-14-2004, 08:49 AM
What??? The L100/4311 died??? No freakin' way!!! It lives! It lives I tell you!!!

It's the best freakin' loudspeaker ever made and if anyone tries to tell you different just crack up laughing while envisioning them talking to you bent over like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura - Pet Detective.

4313B
06-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
Hi John,

At last someone who actually understands the terminology.

Ian No way! You gave him a "teminology" hint in a PM.

4313B
06-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by John Nebel
Giskard,

"Control reference" to me means anything you want it to mean as long as every time you power it up, it does the same thing.

John That makes the Juan Dear kick start vibrator with "tickle" attachment the model of "control reference" then doesn't it...

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey,

No laughing at the the guy in the computer room okay.

Just remember, one flick of the switch and its lights out for all of us.

Ian

boputnam
06-14-2004, 09:10 AM
No way! You gave him a "teminology" hint in a PM. :rotfl:

Mon, Giskard, you are killing me...!!!

John Nebel
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
No way! You gave him a "teminology" hint in a PM.

Giskard,

Nope on the above.

Your idea of using the original sales literature to promote the raffle is pretty good as I'd bet it is quite impressive.

John

4313B
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
John,

So you're telling me you speak "down under"? :rolleyes:

Giskard

(P.S. Please don't pull the plug so the aussie guy can continue to yada yada about his L100's.)

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I think it's time to start the Grungy Amplifier Thread......see you all in Off topic.

And don't forget your worry beads, your Amcons, your QSC's and Sansui's.

Ian:rolleyes:

4313B
06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
See you there, let's talk amp trash.

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
You really Mean Trash of Few Amps..I know.

Ian

John Nebel
06-14-2004, 09:31 AM

(P.S. Please don't pull the plug so the aussie guy can continue to yada yada about his L100's.)

Obviously not.

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 09:35 AM
John,

I have created a diversion so we can continue .....

Ian

Don C
06-14-2004, 09:37 AM

Trouble is, with those crappy L pads, the L-100s that I have had tend to sound different every time I listen.

4313B
06-14-2004, 09:55 AM
John,

Ian's clever diversion worked and I am now over bashing amps in "off topic" ;)

Giskard

Robh3606
06-14-2004, 10:30 AM
I used L100's for years. Still like them. They have their faults but you can work arround the driver balance and end up with a reasonably good FR curve where you listen. Those damn pots do suck and really should be upgraded. I had to wipe mine through about once every couple of months or they would actaully have a driver drop out and change level while you were listenning. Comparing to the newer stuff well I had 4412's for a while and they were much better but that's apple and oranges. As a matter of fact after living with the 4412's for about 3 months it was hard to go back and I was never happy with them afterwords. That whole experience drove me to try to upgrade them to 4312's and eventually got me to play with the big drivers.

Rob:)

4313B
06-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
I used L100's for years. Still like them.I too used them for many years, mostly as "saw horses" while building custom loudspeaker systems for home installations. They worked perfectly fine in that role.

I've also used them in a pinch to keep a big block "rat" from rolling around in a pickup truck bed. The cast iron was able to "dig" into the oiled black walnut and form makeshift motor mounts for the ride to the machine shop.

Perhaps the best use I found for them though was using them to prop open sash windows, drivers facing out into the gently falling snow, and playing Halloween music at volume when Christmas Carolers came down the street.

Figge
06-14-2004, 11:57 AM
I too used them for many years, mostly as "saw horses" while building custom loudspeaker systems for home installations. They worked perfectly fine in that role.

Haha! :rotfl: i know u love em! :yes:

Robh3606
06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
I too used them for many years, mostly as "saw horses" while building custom loudspeaker systems for home installations. They worked perfectly fine in that role.

LOL Wisenheimer!!!!

Rob:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: