PDA

View Full Version : Howard Durbin??

Doc Mark
07-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Greetings, Friends,

At our most recent job, I began talking about hobbies with the husband of one of our students. Our conversation drifted quickly to things JBL, and it turns out that he was a real fan of the brand, especially loving their loudspeaker designs from the 1960-1980 period. Furthermore, it turns out that he is a friend of Howard Durbin, who, as many of you probably already know, was an engineer/designer for JBL back in those days. I know that I've heard of Howard, but do not know much about him. The fellow I talked to had not heard from him in years and did not know if Mr. Durbin was even still alive. But, after our conversation, the fellow was highly motivated to try and contact Howard, just to say "Hi", and to rekindle their former relationship. Isn't this a small work, my JBL Friends??!! Just thought you might like to hear about this interesting bit of serendipity! Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. If anyone here knows, or knew, Howard Durbin, personally, I'd love to learn more about that Gentleman. Thanks, very much!

Harvey Gerst
07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
He wasn't there in the 60's.

Steve Schell
07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Mr. Durbin's name has come up a lot as Don and I have spoken with numerous former JBL employees, but as far as I know we have never made contact with him. He is perhaps best known for the diamond pattern compliance for compression driver diaphragms, which I believe he engineered while working for JBL:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=FLc5AAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4

Doc, if you are able to contact Mr. Durbin, please ask him if he might consider being interviewed on his career and time at JBL, or possibly writing an article for Lansing Heritage.

Harvey Gerst
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Ahh, that would explain why I never heard of him; the diamond pattern stuff happened after I left.

Doc Mark
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey, Steve, Harvey, and All,

Thanks, very much, for your thoughts and comments. I got a note from my friend, and he called Howard soon after arriving home from our current job, where we met. As luck would have it, Howard actually answered the phone, and they have made plans to have lunch next week, and to renew their old acquaintance! Very cool! To think, it all came about through the fact that I mentioned that I loved JBL speakers, just in casual conversation, when we met!! I love serendipity!! :D:applaud:

When I send a note to my friend, I'll ask him to see if Howard would be up for an interview, or for penning an article for LH. I think either thing, or both, would be simply outstanding!! As soon as I hear back from him, I'll let you know how this might work out. Thanks, very much, for the suggestion, Steve!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

louped garouv
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
this is really too cool for school...

neat-o

macaroonie
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I do like your idea of ( If the gentleman is willing ) having some of the seminal people writing some memories of back in the day. It is of course the founding of the brand that we all admire so much. I would hope that perhaps if this came to fruition that the various ' histories ' could become permanent entries in the library section with a sticky cross referrence.
I find it pretty amazing that Harvey is a regular here and in the most genteel manner offers his version of events and technical facts for all interested parties.
My guitarist chum who uses a D130 was gobsmacked to learn that I could PM directly to the man who designed his speaker.
This is all good stuff and long may it continue and many thanks to Harvey and any others who feel that they have something to contribute , it is all info that dispells the myths and puts flesh on the bones.
I for one appreciate it greatly. Of course some old pics would be good , like the coil wimding machine , the cabinet shop , the lovely ladies fitting cones et al

Mac

oznob
07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
That's great news Doc! I for one really enjoy getting the real scoop from those that actually were/are there. Nothing like getting the straight story from the "horses mouth!":yes:

Harvey Gerst
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Nothing like getting the straight story from the "horses mouth!":yes:
Right idea, just wrong end of the horse. :D

Harvey Gerst
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I find it pretty amazing that Harvey is a regular here and in the most genteel manner offers his version of events and technical facts for all interested parties.
Not amazing; if I don't keep my mind active, my wife threatened to ship me off to an old folks home.

doodlebug
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Right idea, just wrong end of the horse. :D

Harvey, you ain't goin' to no old folks home with wit like that.....

Glad to have your insights here, too. It keeps us all sane.

Cheers,

David

louped garouv
07-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Not amazing; if I don't keep my mind active, my wife threatened to ship me off to an old folks home.

i am already lobbying for a tolerable third world arrangement...

my requirements are:
-not much local govt. interference in everyday life
-good local food/drinks
-decent climate
-friendly locals

4313B
07-31-2009, 06:47 AM
i am already lobbying for a tolerable third world arrangement...

my requirements are:
-not much local govt. interference in everyday life
-good local food/drinks
-decent climate
-friendly localsPanama. It's the new Florida.

One of the "perks" is "1st world" health care at "3rd world" prices.

Doc Mark
08-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Greetings, Friends,

Well, my friend, Bob, relayed the message to Howard, that many of us here at LH would be very interested in hearing from him about his days at JBL. I was very pleased to receive a quick reply from Howard, himself, telling me a little bit about that very thing? Very nice, indeed!

I tried to contact one of our JBL Friends here at LH, asking if he would like to interview Howard, if Howard was amenable to that, but have not yet heard back from him. Just recently, I got a note from my friend, Bob, who had gotten a note from Howard telling him that he had not yet heard back from me. So, rather than wait for anyone else to do this, I sent a note to Howard, asking if he would be amenable to sharing lunch with me, my treat, and sharing some thoughts and memories about his time at JBL, some of the projects on which he worked, which were his most favorite of the time, and any fun thoughts about those with whom he worked. I told Howard that, as I was not a technician, nor an engineer, I was probably not the best choice to ask him these questions. But, if he is interested in sharing his time with me, I am excited about the prospects!! I already have a few ideas about things I'd like to ask Howard, and I do plan on doing some homework to see if I can further my knowledge of those days at JBL, this, of course, assuming that Howard will be interested in talking to me. But, if any of you have specific questions you would like me to send his way, I will endeavor to do so, again, hoping that Howard will find this project interesting and fun. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

macaroonie
08-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I hope this works out , best take a memo recorder with you

Doc Mark
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Morning, Mac,

Happy Sunday to you and yours! I, too, am excited about the possibilities of a meeting with Howard! I have a very old tape recorder, fairly small, from my college days, and thought I'd take that along to tape our conversation. Better than me scribbling away, whilst Howard talks, eh?! ;)

As soon as this begins to come together, or if my offer is not accepted, then I'll get back to everyone. Thanks, very much, for your kind comments! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc