PDA

View Full Version : Recone questions for LE15H, 2235H, 2225H

argieX
07-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi.

I have a pair of LE15H in bad shape, rotten surround, crumpled cone, stretched out spider.

I wonder if itīs possible to make a good driver out of these with a reconing, and what to use them for afterwards.

I have searched the forum for advise but couldnīt find anything for the LE15H. But I found a lot of info. for reconing the 2225H to a 2235H, to make it more suitable for home hifi.

I have some 2225Hīs as well (some working, some dead), and while they sound great they lack some bottom end.

I know I can recone them to be 2235Hīs, but what about this mass ring I keep reading about, is that included with the new cone, or is it not needed ?

Simply Speakers has some recone kitīs that looks cheap, do you guys have any experience with these kitīs ?

Last question, is the LE15H a better driver than the 2225H or the 2235H ?

Thanks in advance, Iīm just starting to learn about JBL drivers, and hope you can help me getting started.

Robh3606
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I wonder if itīs possible to make a good driver out of these with a reconing, and what to use them for afterwards.

As long as you can get the cone kits. What to do with them?? Well what do you have in mind?? If you are trying to get a vintage system clone off the ground like an S7 of S8 you are going to want them to get the right sound for that period.

As far as bass drivers 2235 have better lowend but are less efficient. The mass ring comes with the kit. If you want an "updated" version of the LE-15 you can leave out the mass ring and make them 2234's The Le-15 and 2234 have very similar bass extension and the 2234 has better powerhandling and greater X-Max. It will also play a good bit higher.

Rob:)

argieX
07-27-2009, 04:15 AM
So, do both the LE15H, the 2225H and the 2235H have the same basket and magnet, and can all be made into 2235īs ?

Do you know the kitīs from simply speakers (http://www.simplyspeakers.com/reconekits.htm) ?

Iīm not trying to make a clone, but it might be better to keep it a LE15H instead of a 2235, as itīs harder to come by than a 2235, if I want the sound of the LE15 some day.

hjames
07-27-2009, 04:41 AM
So, do both the LE15H, the 2225H and the 2235H have the same basket and magnet, and can all be made into 2235īs ?

Do you know the kitīs from simply speakers (http://www.simplyspeakers.com/reconekits.htm) ?

Iīm not trying to make a clone, but it might be better to keep it a LE15H instead of a 2235, as itīs harder to come by than a 2235, if I want the sound of the LE15 some day.

With a non-JBL recone parts from 3rd party sources,
who knows what specs your newly modded speaker will have??

Recommend having your recones done with certified JBL parts from authorized JBL shops ...
its the only way to get proper performance from your system.

argieX
07-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I just compared the LE15H and the 2225H, and they look identical in basket and magnet, I was not able to compare the magnet gap as the 2225H still has a cone.

Where do I get genuine JBL parts at a good price?
Iīm from Denmark, so anywhere in Europe is also fine, though JBL seems to be a lot cheaper in the states.

Robh3606
07-27-2009, 07:44 AM
I just compared the LE15H and the 2225H, and they look identical in basket and magnet, I was not able to compare the magnet gap as the 2225H still has a cone.

Try measuring the top plate thickness. I believe the LE-15 is unique with it's underhung coil and uses a thicker top plate.

argieX
07-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Yep, youīre right, the LE15H has a to plate thickness of about double the 2225Hīs.

Thx for clearing that up.

I canīt find spec. for the LE15H only the LE15A.

argieX
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I just found spec. on this forum for the LE15H, it models nearly the same as the 2215H.

I donīt think Iīll spend a recone on them a the moment, as I think the 2225 reconed into a 2235 looks much better suited for a 3-way speaker with decent low end performance.

Another question: What if I change the surround on a 2225 to a 2235 foam type, and add 50g to the cone ?

Is the cone and spider similar enough to get me to poor mans 2235, or do I get some sort of unpredictable bastard driver, in need of measuring to determine performance ?

I might go ahead and try this, as the surrounds are cheap, and I can have a woofer tester for T/S measuring.

robertbartsch
07-27-2009, 08:56 AM
What are you planning to do with this system; is it for home fidelity, music re-inforcement or something else?

Recone kits can be purchased from the JBL factory by authorized service techs only.

Aftermarket kits from non-JBL sources are NOT recommended.

argieX
07-27-2009, 09:02 AM
What are you planning to do with this system; is it for home fidelity, music re-inforcement or something else?

Recone kits can be purchased from the JBL factory by authorized service techs only.

Aftermarket kits from non-JBL sources are NOT recommended.

Itīs for home hifi only, thatīs why I think the 2235 might be better suited.

Is it really not possible to get genuine JBL recone kits anywhere other than the factory ?

robertbartsch
07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeh, JBL re-cone kits are only made availible to JBL factory techs. Do some reading here using searches with "aftermarket kits" if you need to know more.

Factory JBL diaphrams for high frequency compression drivers can be purchased from the factory by non-techs, but that is about it.

Robh3606
07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Any JBL Factory Service center in Europe should be able to get and install the recone kits for you. Go up to JBL-Pro and have a look at the service centers available in Europe

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/contacts/intleuro.htm

Russellc
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Itīs for home hifi only, thatīs why I think the 2235 might be better suited.

Is it really not possible to get genuine JBL recone kits anywhere other than the factory ?
Besides the "non JBL issue, (which should be despositive of th issue) I dont believe the 2235H non JBL recones come with the mass ring like the genuine JBL cone does. So if this is the case and you are reconing an old 2235H, pirate the mass ring from the old cone. If it isnt a 2235H, then you wouldnt have the mass ring to pirate, and at best could only make non JBL 2234H drivers.

Russellc

07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Besides the "non JBL issue, (which should be despositive of th issue) I dont believe the 2235H non JBL recones come with the mass ring like the genuine JBL cone does. So if this is the case and you are reconing an old 2235H, pirate the mass ring from the old cone. If it isnt a 2235H, then you wouldnt have the mass ring to pirate, and at best could only make non JBL 2234H drivers.

Russellc

As one with some experience with a particular aftermarket cone kit (Saye) said to be for 2235H, they do not have the same fs, even after break in. It started out higher than a 2234H, so I added a mass ring, but it only came down to be the same as 2234H, even after several weeks of 30 Hz played through it. I gave up on aftermarket at that point and bought genuine JBL.
I did tell Dan that he should find a softer spider next time. He did appreciate the feedback on the fs I was measuring, as he had no way of taking any measurements himself...:blink:

argieX
07-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Thank you for all your answers.

I have just got the price for a recone kit from the Danish supplier.

$367 for the kit, and then another $124 if he should fit.

Itīs a lot more than I thought it would be, so I might try to put some foam surrounds on a pair of the 2225`s to see what specs they get.
And maybe add some weight to the cone.

4313B
07-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Itīs a lot more than I thought it would beThe fact that you have to pay approximately double is pretty disgusting.

Ralph856
07-30-2009, 07:01 AM
The fact that you have to pay approximately double is pretty disgusting.

Common scenario in the uk with many products:o:

How about getting them shipped from the US and have somewhere else fit them, or would that be impracticle? I guess yes.

BMWCCA
07-30-2009, 08:01 AM
How about getting them shipped from the US and have somewhere else fit them, or would that be impracticle? I guess yes.I thought the whole point was you can't get JBL kits except from JBL-authorized repair facilities who must do the install? I suspect I don't really want to know the answer. ;)

Ralph856
07-31-2009, 07:11 AM
I thought the whole point was you can't get JBL kits except from JBL-authorized repair facilities who must do the install? I suspect I don't really want to know the answer. ;)

Some of which do the recone incorrectly :rolleyes: