PDA

View Full Version : Altec Bolero Help

slowpat
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi all - I just picked up a pair of Altec 890A's with the 3000G horn tweeters. The drivers are in great shape but cabinets had a few scratches on top. So...one speaker worked great, and with working Lpad. No tweeter output in the other speaker. So, I pulled the passive radiator on that one, and connected the speaker wire (with no bass, and just treble) directly to the tweeter leads, and viola, they do work. So, I will try to DeOxit the Lpad this weekend, but if that doesn't work, what should my next steps be? Should I replace the capacitors? (one looked like a poly cap, and the other shaped like the orange drop cap) Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks. And I was awed by the size of the magnet on the woofer!!!

Goodwill_HiFi
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Be careful...... don't blow those horns. There's only one place that I've ever heard of that can fix them.

louped garouv
07-27-2009, 06:50 AM
i second the notion/advice to be VERY careful with those...

:)

that being said, they are very nice sounding 'smaller' altecs IMHO

I would say that cleaning the contacts and updating the caps is a good point ot start with, and proceed from there if necessary....

slowpat
07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the warning on the 3000G. I found a threat saying the same thing about how only one person remains that knows how to fix the 3000G. That makes me nervous... :) Didn't have time last weekend, so will try cleaning the l-pad this weekend, and get the value of the caps and start shopping.