PDA

View Full Version : newbie advise: JBL L65 or 4425?

raffy1218
07-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Gents,

Newbie to this wonderful site, newbie to JBL as well, though have been in audio for a little more than 10 years, don't know jack when it comes to jbl.

Would appreciate the inputs:

1. 4425 or L65 for monitors? (amps would all be tube, el34, el84, kt66...)

2. later on: L300summit or 443X?? (again all tube...)

Many thanks gents and looking forward to hear from you guys.

cheers!:)

raffy

(my first post here)

BMWCCA
07-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Why the comparison of 2-way monitors to 3-way consumer models? And what will you be doing with them?

:dont-know

raffy1218
07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
i would be replacing my second system's planar (esl57) or spendor sp1/2 with them for a change in sound as am not used to these horns. never owned horns before, i am a bit of a collector, mostly vintage stuff, i hardly sell my items, just put them on rotation. the horns sound exciting, though i guess one of the questions is that which of the two speakers would give me less fatigue? i currently have the 4425 on audition driven by a monoblock 30 watt el34, found the el84 great as well. am primarily asking as i have a pending sale on an L65, the L65 though cannot be auditioned. to answer i would be listening to all types of genres, light on classical, more on jazz, rock, a bit of lounge. room is large.

sorry to be naive but i never tried a pro speaker before thus i don't see what's wrong in asking the difference between models, don't users here have both? 2 way or 3 way? isn't this also compared? since we can listen with our eyes closed, and this can be highly subjective i just wanted inuts on the strengths and advantages of the 4425 and or the L65.

again, apologies, just seeking the descriptions what the specs can't churn out.

peace:)

JBLRaiser
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
i would be replacing my second system's planar (esl57) or spendor sp1/2 with them for a change in sound as am not used to these horns. never owned horns before, i am a bit of a collector, mostly vintage stuff, i hardly sell my items, just put them on rotation. the horns sound exciting, though i guess one of the questions is that which of the two speakers would give me less fatigue? i currently have the 4425 on audition driven by a monoblock 30 watt el34, found the el84 great as well. am primarily asking as i have a pending sale on an L65, the L65 though cannot be auditioned. to answer i would be listening to all types of genres, light on classical, more on jazz, rock, a bit of lounge. room is large.

sorry to be naive but i never tried a pro speaker before thus i don't see what's wrong in asking the difference between models, don't users here have both? 2 way or 3 way? isn't this also compared? since we can listen with our eyes closed, and this can be highly subjective i just wanted inuts on the strengths and advantages of the 4425 and or the L65.

again, apologies, just seeking the descriptions what the specs can't churn out.

peace:)

buy the cheapest and give them a try. Hell, they're JBL's. You can't go wrong either way. I could explain the difference between two way vs three way, pro vs consumer, but you still have to HEAR them. Just experiment. Otherwise, this thread will quickly devolve into a pissing contest compliments of our esteemed experts.:D

Hertzz
07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
buy the cheapest and give them a try. Hell, they're JBL's. You can't go wrong either way. I could explain the difference between two way vs three way, pro vs consumer, but you still have to HEAR them. Just experiment. Otherwise, this thread will quickly devolve into a pissing contest compliments of our esteemed experts.:D

Very good advice to raffy1218, JBL Raiser... I experienced a piss contest myself with one of my first postings here. Not a good first impression.

doodlebug
07-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Have had 4425s and ESL63s.....observations on differences in JBLs vs ESL's:

- ESLs: Laid back, sonic image appears to come from behind the speaker by design. Will perform to the quality of the electronics and source you send them when they're properly restored.

- JBL/Altec or horns in upper registers: In your face. Sonic image appears to come from in front of the speaker and stays there. Will perform to the quality of the electronics and source you send them when properly restored.

Generalities these are but you'll have to judge for yourself. Sounds like you're already on the road. With the amps you have mentioned, use a smaller room to get an idea of what they'll be able to do for you.

Cheers,

David

raffy1218
07-25-2009, 02:09 AM
thanks to all for the sound advise, roger on that, will move to my smaller room and critique properly. last thing i wanted was i pissing contest, thank you gentlemen, am enjoying the JBL sound:D

Audiobeer
07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I have heard and owned both. My ears like the L-65s by a ton. I do prefer the 4430s (4425s bigger brother) over both by a landslide.