PDA

View Full Version : What can go wrong w/compression drivers?

oznob
07-19-2009, 07:54 AM
I just won two 2426H compression drivers pretty cheap on ebay. I am going to use them for a future project. The seller said they do not sound as they should. He thinks they made need diaphragms but is not sure. I got a pair of Radian, I know I know, aluminum diaphragms from a friend to try when they get here. What else can go wrong in a driver besides the diaphragm???

Doc Mark
07-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi, Oznob,

I've never had it happen to myself (knock wood), but I think that the magnets can shift, rendering the driver useless. I could be wrong on that, and hope to be corrected soon, if so. Cracked throats, maybe? Don't know... Best of luck on your "new" JBL's, and here's hoping that they work perfectly for you, once you get them checked out! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

oznob
07-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Doc, I don't think that is the case as they still work just "not as they should." From the pictures he sent, outwardly, they look nearly new. He said they were used in a Church system for a few years. Maybe too much power/distortion fried the diaphragms? At least i am hoping that is the only issue.

Take care,

Mark

Doc Mark
07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey, Mark,

I've heard that dust, and other detritus, can get into the vc gap and cause some sound problems. Maybe that might be what the seller was describing. In any case, best of luck with your new babies, and have fun with them! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

oznob
07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
I got the drivers today. They were "nicely" packed in a USPS flat rate box with two sheets of small bubble wrap!:banghead: They mostly survived save for the bent connection posts on one of the drivers, double :banghead: I was able to make them usable but the + post is dented so the spring action is bound up. I pulled them apart and had to nearly pry the diaphragms out. I used compressed air to blow out around the gap which actually looked fine on both. I put in the Radian diaphragms which fit without issue. After a bit of a struggle, I mated the drivers to the 4430 horns to try them. Wow, they work fine and sound great, even with the aftermarket phragms.:p I am really glad they had the plastic magnet covers, probably the only thing that saved them. Anyone know where I can get replacement connection posts?

1audiohack
07-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I bought a dozen from Edgewound. He had to order them so I am sure any authorized repair facility could get them for you. They were about $3 and change each.

I have some that are tarnished but completely functional if that would be of use to to you.

If so PM me your address and I'll send you one for nothing.

Barry.

oznob
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I bought a dozen from Edgewound. He had to order them so I am sure any authorized repair facility could get them for you. They were about $3 and change each.

I have some that are tarnished but completely functional if that would be of use to to you.

If so PM me your address and I'll send you one for nothing.

Barry.

Thanks for the very kind offer Barry, PM sent!

Mark