PDA

View Full Version : Yet another cabinet query: C37

doodlebug
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
<<I cannot decide if this is DIY or not so moderators, please feel free to move it if needed>>

This post is a request for assistance in what to use with a set of vintage JBL speaker cabinets. Specifically, I'd like to use some combination of the drivers in my collection (see below) with them.

Background

I've managed to pick up a set of empty C37s. These are done in mahogany a bit scratched but nothing that's not unfixable - and missing the legs, of course. They still have the original grill coverings and even both of the logos in the lower corners. The speaker mounting boards are the stock originals with the standard vent cutout. Notes I found inside show that they originally had the 001 package of a D130 and a 175 tweeter with the standard crossover.

They're the plywood/veneered versions from what my research here at LH has yielded so far - not MDF. The innards are remarkably untouched with only evidence of the original drivers being mounted and no further mods or hacking.

By my calculations of the inside dimensions, they work out to a 4.3 cu ft box that may well need more bracing. The vent is 13.5" x 3".

Here's what I have to work with:

Coaxial

- Urei/Altec 604s with UREI crossovers (the blue horn versions)

Woofers:

- 2 x 2225Js
- 2 x 2226
- 2225J -> reconed -> 2235s, if needed

Top End

- 2 x Altec 291-16K with the large format Mantaray horns (like the JBL 2360s) or

- 2445J with 2380A CD horns

Crossovers

- JBL 3160 (cross @ 500Hz w/CD equalization built in)

- Behringer CX3400 electronic xover

I'm open to all suggestions, comments and guidance on what might be a good combination for these cabinets. I have lots of tube and SS amps to drive them, too, so no problem there.

Cheers,

David

jcrobso
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Put in the Urei/Altec 604s first, you will have to cover the hole for the LE175 horn. See if you like the sound. I have gut feeling that this should sound good. Everything else will require more modification.

doodlebug
07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks! I appreciate your time, jcrobco. That will certainly be the easiest of the installations.

Anyone else?

Cheers,

David