PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter Issue

RIGGED
07-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I have a pair of 78 Cornwalls, not JBL I know but speakers none that less. Anyhow, one of the tweeters takes about a minute before it begins to tweet. After gettin goin, it sings just fine. Any ideas? Is the tweeter goin bad or is this something to do with the X-over?

I posed this same question over at the Klipsch website and the only response I got was........"Give a listen again tonight but this time without the weed."

Some response eh?

RIGGED

midlife
07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Swap the tweeters from cabinet to cabinet and see if the problem stays with the offending tweeter or occurs again in the cabinet with the xover that might be in question. And a few beers one way or the other didn't seem to affect a similar problem I had with my L65s. ;) Also while you're there look for bad connections.

RIGGED
07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Swap the tweeters from cabinet to cabinet and see if the problem stays with the offending tweeter or occurs again in the cabinet with the xover that might be in question. And a few beers one way or the other didn't seem to affect a similar problem I had with my L65s. ;) Also while you're there look for bad connections.

Thanks ML, I'll consider that in and out of a brewminded state. :D

Here's a shot of the RIG.

RIGGED

jcrobso
07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I have a pair of 78 Cornwalls, not JBL I know but speakers none that less. Anyhow, one of the tweeters takes about a minute before it begins to tweet. After gettin goin, it sings just fine. Any ideas? Is the tweeter goin bad or is this something to do with the X-over?

I posed this same question over at the Klipsch website and the only response I got was........"Give a listen again tonight but this time without the weed."

Some response eh?

RIGGED

The tweeter is the easiest speaker to blow, because it has the lowest power rating. Re seat the connections on the tweeter see if that helps.

Mr. Widget
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Anyhow, one of the tweeters takes about a minute before it begins to tweet. After gettin goin, it sings just fine. Any ideas?I agree with the two above posts... swap tweeters. Reconnecting them will scrub off possible oxidation on the contacts... if they seem oxidized you should really clean them with a bit of steel wool or other mild abrasive taking care not to let metal dust enter the horn.

Basically, your symptoms sound like a bad connection to me. It could be at the network, in the network, at the tweeter, or inside the tweeter. At the network connection and at the tweeter connection are obviously the easiest to deal with.

Widget

Chas
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Try the swap and everything else first.

I had a Heresy once (EV T35) that needed a slight realignment of the voice coil. It was getting hung up on the pole piece.

RIGGED
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the ideas gents, I'll perform the surgery this weekend and report back with the result.

RIGGED

Akira
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I've had this happen countless times...especially with equipment that is moved--cold solder joint on the network.
If this happens once you have switched your tweeters, you will know this is the problem.
Simple fix: isolate the problem on the circuit board
reheat the connection adding a tiny bit of solder or use a jump wire.

Mr. Widget
07-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Simple fix: isolate the problem on the circuit board reheat the connection adding a tiny bit of solder or use a jump wire.It could be a cold solder joint, but it certainly isn't on a circuit board. ;)

Widget