PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4636-what is best 12" woofer?HAL26

hal26
06-10-2004, 10:15 AM
I seem to be stuck with a pair of these low frequency dual ported 4436 cabinets that appear to be professional or commercial grade units that house a single 12 each only.Those that are familiar with my current dilemma with Hal Cox know that I am trying to come up with a solution for a problem discussed ad nauseum in another thread.What would be an excellent choice for 12 inch drivers for these cabinets for home use that would be valued at approx. $250 per pair new?I pefer speakers that have very tight detailed sound.I am thinking of incorporating them into my home theater setup.I currently have an all Mirage system with a sub and M490 mains powered by an Outlaw pre-amp and 5X200 watt amp.I prefer adjusting my sub to reproduce the super low stuff for movies only and I think that perhaps adding the 2 12's will provide realistic electric bass when listening to music and when the sub is turned off.I was a working bass player for 15 years which explains my interest in this area.To digress for a moment I would like to describe the bass rig I used for many years.Fender Jazz bass (preferred the sound of a Precision but liked the slim Jazz neck) 400 watt RMS Ampeg SVT TUBE head (weighed a T O N !!) two Heart of Texas cabinets containing 2 15" JBL's each.I could not stand a solid state amp,they just could not reproduce the warm sound of a tube set up.It makes a real difference when you are listening intently 5 hours a night,nearly every night at stout DB levels!I liked 15's for playing live as 12's would overdrive way too easily,but for home use I prefer the tight and crisp bass reproduction that a 12 provides.Any tips?Thanks-Hal