PDA

View Full Version : How often do u

midlife
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
How often do you treat your cabinets finish? I am now using tung oil finish followed with a Howards feed & wax treatment. Is this an acceptable finish? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

robertbartsch
07-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I use tung oil once a year. I would think any wax application would prevent subsequent coats of oil from soaking in but others here would know better.

midlife
07-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I have found the tung oil finish to be aggresive enough to penetrate the feed & wax. And then the feed & wax to leave a nice semi gloss surface.

JBLRaiser
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I have found the tung oil finish to be aggresive enough to penetrate the feed & wax. And then the feed & wax to leave a nice semi gloss surface.

there you have it.;)

JBL 4645
07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I thought I’d might as well show what I use to keep surfaces clean.
I love the smell of spring fresh Mr Sheen in the morning.:D

midlife
07-12-2009, 07:05 AM
33% extra free, thats alot of Mr. Sheen. :applaud:

brutal
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I thought I’d might as well show what I use to keep surfaces clean.
I love the smell of spring fresh Mr Sheen in the morning.:D

Doesn't that double as hair gel on that side of the pond? LOL

SEAWOLF97
07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm using an Aussie beeswax that has a citrus cleaner ...been told to use it 2x/year , the 250ti's teac is really glowing and the finish is showing a depth ....applying the product with fine steel wool cleaned the crud out of the grain, but on 2nd app wont bother to use it. Smells good too..:)

My Sydney friend who sent it to me is a longtime woodworker and does great work.

midlife
07-17-2009, 06:04 PM
My speakers veneer does look good, but it hasn't really picked up a nice depth or glow. My regement is Howards scratch cover, then tung oil finish, then Howards feed and wax. They do look clean and the scratches or imperfections are hidden, but the depth associated with wood grain is not there. I do allow each step of my above treatment twenty minutes to be absorbed and again they do look clean, but the depth is just not there? :o::banghead::blink:

pdemondo
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Oil my 250Ti's every couple of years.

Rolf
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Here is what I use. Then the next day I use a furniture wax from the same company. (Could not fine the box to give a picture.)

SEAWOLF97
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM
this is the stuff I use....mebbe only our Aussie friends can get it tho...

the really nice thing about this stuff is that you rub it in with very fine steel wool ...that removes the gunk from the grain and the wood now looks like I think it did when new....surprising how dirty the SW gets..its a citrus cleaner..then the beeswax leaves a deep shine that does not show fingerprints.

DESCRIPTION:
A refined Beeswax & Citrus Oil polish, with pleasant aromatics and emulsified into a ready-to -use paste.

USES:
Polishing internal furniture and joinery that has been previously oiled or waxed. Ideal for cleaning/rejuvenating same and for the upkeep of French-polished/lacquered items. Has excellent woodworking attributes and would seal/polish slate, terracotta, stucco etc.

http://www.organoil.com.au/waxpolish/index.html

BMWCCA
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Here's something similar, and made in USA, that the furniture snobs in my neck of the woods swear by (click the pic):

https://www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/store/images/products/77_large.jpg (http://www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=77)

I have some, have used it, but prefer Watco Danish oil finish and Howard's Feed-N-Wax

Punch
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Any updates on this thread? What is everyone using?

If you use the Watco Danish Oil Finish, which color do you use for the 250Ti teak?

I would like to treat them once before the winter...I'll hit them with some 4-0 Steel Wool and then I would like to add something to protect them against the dry indoor air and something to give them a deep, rich appearance.

Thanks.

BMWCCA
12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
If you use the Watco Danish Oil Finish, which color do you use for the 250Ti teak?

I would like to treat them once before the winter...I'll hit them with some 4-0 Steel Wool and then I would like to add something to protect them against the dry indoor air and something to give them a deep, rich appearance.

I use Watco on the JBLs I rescue after sanding but those cabinets are described as simply "hardwood veneer". It has no color, it just says "natural". Seems the same as the old can I have which said only "satin oil".

I don't have any teak speaker cabinets. I just put Howard's on the 4345s before covering the tops in tinted glass and I've used Howard's on normal JBLs that didn't require stripping or sanding. Once a year on those seems enough. Try it on the back first if you're worried about it.

Punch
12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
That sounds like a good idea....I will try it on the back first.

brutal
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Watco Teak Oil Finish, it's a "natural" clear color.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=114&SBL=1

I like the "UV Protection"

BMWCCA
12-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Watco Teak Oil Finish, it's a "natural" clear color.
I like the "UV Protection"http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=272098&postcount=214

4313B
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Where is saeman's explanation of how to finish the veneer. I need to mix up a batch for my 4345's. Might as well keep them nice for as long as they are around.

I've always just poured a bucket of Watco all over everything every six months but I'm bored with that now.

I've also put poly coats on some systems just so I can post about it on the Internet and send those who care about such things into apoplectic fits. A guilty pleasure. :)

BMWCCA
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Where is saeman's explanation of how to finish the veneer. I need to mix up a batch for my 4345's.Please let us know if you find it. I'd like to know for my (saeman's) 4345s. They don't need anything and with I put either Howard's or Beeswax on them they don't seem to need it or benefit from it. So I usually just give them a hug instead. ;)

Their one-year anniversary in my home is fast approaching. I'll celebrate with new 9Vs...and letting them flex their "pipes".

hjames
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I've also put poly coats on some systems just so I can post about it on the Internet and send those who care about such things into apoplectic fits. A guilty pleasure. :)

Sometimes you are just so RUDE!!
Plastic coating nice wood like that!

:applaud:

badman
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Please let us know if you find it. I'd like to know for my (saeman's) 4345s. They don't need anything and with I put either Howard's or Beeswax on them they don't seem to need it or benefit from it. So I usually just give them a hug instead. ;)

Their one-year anniversary in my home is fast approaching. I'll celebrate with new 9Vs...and letting them flex their "pipes".

I'm assuming the 9Vs are for the biased caps- I wouldn't bother. The 9vs will last a very very long time, and so long as they're providing the 9V, their job is done.