PDA

View Full Version : LE15 trouble- need help

tomtep
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi,everyone I got a pair of LE15 on Ebay a month ago, but i just put it on my speaker 3 day ago,when i put it in my cabinet it was fine,the cone & foam move in and out very smooth.But until last night it was work very well and this morning when I touch and push the foam it move very heavy &almost can not move and I can hear the sound like the cone is bad & when I test with ohm meter it still read 6.5 ohm.I don't know what happend to my LE15,so any body please tell me if you know and what can I do to fix it.
Thanks alot
Tom
Ps: It was worked very well until I turn of my system

hjames
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi,everyone I got a pair of LE15 on Ebay a month ago, but i just put it on my speaker 3 day ago,when i put it in my cabinet it was fine,the cone & foam move in and out very smooth.But until last night it was work very well and this morning when I touch and push the foam it move very heavy &almost can not move and I can hear the sound like the cone is bad & when I test with ohm meter it still read 6.5 ohm.I don't know what happend to my LE15,so any body please tell me if you know and what can I do to fix it.
Thanks alot
Tom
Don't know what has happened - all is big big guess ... who knows??

Lets us guess - maybe you ran the system too hard or too loud and got the voice coils hot -
maybe melted the varnish on the coils - maybe the coils are sticking now because of the bubbled varnish when you try to play them?
Again, do not know absolute - all I can do is guess from far away place ... maybe help, maybe not ...

Maybe you have too much fun last few days?

Sounds like you need to take them to a speaker shop and
have them do testing - I cannot test for you from here in Virginia ...

So sorry, best wishes!

tomtep
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for answer but I think not because I but it too hot or too loud ,last time when I play only about haft an hour and very the volume is very little for small sound then I have something to do I turn it of and next day it happend like that.Anybody get the same problem?

speakerdave
07-11-2009, 01:12 AM
If those are old cones there may have been some sag in the suspension from being left in the same position for years. The materials have something of a memory, so there may have been just enough correction during the time they were dismounted to clear the voice coil, but when left overnight mounted, possibly in the same position they were in before (we all like those little leads pointing downward), they resumed their sagged position after a few hours. May be time for a recone. Just speculation, of course.

Rolf
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
One thing is sure. With these woofers it is not possible to get the voice coil outside of the magnet. They are ... Don,t know the English word, but the magnet vs the voice coil the magnet is deeper.

BUT, what happens if the speaker cone is to old, I really don't know. Some of you experts on this should climb in.

Is the foam around the woofer rotten? easy to peel off? if so they just need a re-cone.

rgwalker
07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks alot
Tom

Did you physically test the voice coils before you installed them? I bought a pair of LE15s a few months ago that had been listed on EBay as perfect but the coils rubbed when they arrived. I offered to split the cost of a recone with the seller because they were still a good deal but he opted to refund me. They were relisted within a few days and sold as is with no mention of the rubbing coils. If they came from Victorville, CA it might have been you.

Bob Walker

tomtep
07-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Thank you every one give me answer about my le15.I just rip it apart and find out what problem is the glue from the voicoil and the paper conne is come of and i just glue it back and after that my le15 working again.