PDA

View Full Version : 291-16B Diaphragm choice

jf4everstereo
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I am looking for some new Diaphragm's for a couple of my 291-16B Altec Lansing 16 Ohm drivers.

Can someone send me in the right direction, I see the ones on Ebay but I also don't want to put junk in these drivers. Let me know the best aftermarket diaphragms out there that I should put in there.

Also none of them have a power rating... I know they were originally 40 Watts.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Ben

hjames
07-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I am looking for some new Diaphragm's for a couple of my 291-16B Altec Lansing 16 Ohm drivers.

Can someone send me in the right direction, I see the ones on Ebay but I also don't want to put junk in these drivers. Let me know the best aftermarket diaphragms out there that I should put in there.

Ben
Great Plains Audio -
the current source for legacy Altec Lansing parts ...
why go second rate when the factory type parts are available?

speakerdave
07-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Ben

The 291 is a late Alnico magnet driver that is the equivalent of the 288 G except for the original diaphragm. The 291 was sold with a more durable but not as good sounding diaphragm for high-powered use. I'm pretty sure GPA will steer you toward 288-G diaphragms. You will then have some very good-sounding drivers.

I wouldn't buy ebay diaphragms for the Altecs, even so-called NOS. They sometimes go for as much or more than the GPA ones, which as I understand are made on the original tooling by people who once did it for Altec.

spkrman57
07-11-2009, 04:33 PM
I just replaced the diaphrams in my Altec 291-16K drivers and they are symbiotek.

I bought new "all" aluminum diaphrams to convert them into 299's per Bill H. at Great Plains.

My old diaphrams worked okay, I just wanted to replace them with a diaphram with better top HF response since they would be used in a 2-way system with no tweeter.

If you think that my older symbiotek diamprams might work for you, send me a PM.

Regards, Ron

analog addict
07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
...is to talk to Bill H at GPA, and turn them into 288-16G's. I sent them my 291's, and they did the rest.....:applaud: