PDA

View Full Version : Newly Introduced to the Sound of Altec (Model 19's) - Repair Help (inserts)

Inspiribomb
07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Hello and good evening to everyone! This is post number one for me at this site. I recently acquired a beautiful pair of Altec Model 19's clad in walnut, and have been cleaning them up.

The previous owner took excellent care of them, with only two or three very minor chips in the veneer, but wasn't the best about oiling the cabinets. Today I gave them a good treatment with Howards Feed N Wax, which really brought back the color and depth to the walnut.

My main question is in regards to the hardware for the crossovers. The cabinets have metal inserts in the wood that the screws thread into, but 3/4 are stripped on one speaker, and 1/4 is stripped on the other. I'd like to replace these inserts with new ones, as well as the flathead screws. Can someone inform me of what thread type/pitch these are, or perhaps give me a part number to order?

Thanks and regards,
Aaron

PS - Pics of my new beauties (they sound amazing!)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Inspiribomb/Altec%20Model%2019/AltecsPostOiling1.jpg

theophile
07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Aaron,
I can't tell you the information you need,however do try also at the Altec Forum.

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/

rgwalker
07-07-2009, 02:07 AM
My main question is in regards to the hardware for the crossovers. The cabinets have metal inserts in the wood that the screws thread into, but 3/4 are stripped on one speaker, and 1/4 is stripped on the other. I'd like to replace these inserts with new ones, as well as the flathead screws. Can someone inform me of what thread type/pitch these are, or perhaps give me a part number to order?

Thanks and regards,
Aaron

Take a good bolt and get the thread size by matching it with a nut at Home Depot and noting the thread size. Pop out an insert to get the length.

Parts Express www.partsexpress.com (http://www.partsexpress.com) may have them but they shouldn't be hard to find and are called 'threaded inserts'.

The only thing that's important is that the bolt head fits the recess in the crossover plate. You may need to get the inserts slightly larger to be tight in the old holes and you'll want to replace them all so that they match. Tap them into the holes from the inside and use the bolts to tighten them into place. If they are a little loose use some glue to set them or fill and redrill the holes.

You can also fill the holes and mount the crossovers with wood screws.

They are great speakers and if and when you're ready to part with some $$$ they can be taken to a whole new level with a tweeter and a crossover upgrade. Email me and I'll send you a diagram and parts list for the upgrade that includes a 9K crossover tap for a tweeter.

Bob Walker
[email protected]

Inspiribomb
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'll get some new inserts and bolts for them and put them together real proper-like. Next step is to get some tubes powering them!