PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand ....

SEAWOLF97
07-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I have owned both the L80T's and 4410's ......they are a very different in real world performance, but very similar in component drivers

the L80t has 127H, 104H and 035ti with about 5080cuin box size
the 4410 has 127H-1 ,104 h-2 and 035tia with about 3550cuin box volume.

so the drivers are pretty close.
the L80T has a much bigger box

I find the L80T to be overly bright and not esp accurate and not esp musical
the 4410 is very accurate and a joy to listen to

so if the drivers dont account for the difference...is it then from the box size or crossovers ?

I didnt realize how good the 4410 is until I pulled out the L166's and subbed in the studio monitors to the same location and source amp, BIG difference.

xtra - the 4412 shares almost an identical box with the 4410, but I did not care for the larger 12in LF in that config.

Robh3606
07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
It's the crossovers. The L80T3 sounds alot better than an L80t. Try swapping a 4410 crossover with the L80T.

Rob:)

BMWCCA
07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Your 4410s also have L-pads to control how bright the HF is. I believe you have the non-A versions, right? If anything in comparing the networks, other than the L-pad, the L80T should be more padded down on the HF than the 4410, so if you were running your L-pad full-open the 4410 should be brighter than the L80T but that's not likely how you ran it. The T3 pads the 035TiA even more, I believe. I always figured adding an L-pad to the L80T would be a nice addition rather than simply changing the crossover but I haven't done it yet as they're really a distant seventh-in-line in preference at my house.

I did add more batting inside the top and extended the port tube per Gordon W's instructions for the L80T, which may handle your "accurate" complaint or help compensate for the larger box, since the L80T3 uses a smaller box, too. I think they work fine, though as the owner of L112 and 4412As, the 10" doesn't do a whole lot for me. Or for that matter, I prefer the L5 over nearly all of those, too. My favorite 12" is the L7, of course. ;)

SEAWOLF97
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
if you were running your L-pad full-open the 4410 should be brighter than the L80T but that's not likely how you ran it. ;)

no, always set them at zero.

since the L80T3 uses a smaller box, too. ;)

not much ...I get the t3 volume at abt 4992 cuin....vs 5080 in the L80t

the 10" doesn't do a whole lot for me. Or for that matter, I prefer the L5 over nearly all of those, too. My favorite 12" is the L7, of course. ;)

a tight 10 is better than a flabby 12.(and I have heard many describe the 4410 bass as very fast and tight).. the 4410's are on the backside of the same room with the 250ti's ....I only turn off the 250's in early am listening due to chair positioning.

many listeners do not like the 4410 sound...calling it too accurate or clinical or sterile ,,ie: NOT The JBL sound. But when member SOUNDBOY heard mine, he told the story of having a pair and dumping them...then asked why mine sound so much better ..I didnt have a good answer for him at the time.

4313B
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
But when member SOUNDBOY heard mine, he told the story of having a pair and dumping them...then asked why mine sound so much better ..I didnt have a good answer for him at the time.Location, Location, Location.

:rotfl:

The 4410 is a perfectly fine loudspeaker for its price point.

BMWCCA
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
a tight 10 is better than a flabby 12.(and I have heard many describe the 4410 bass as very fast and tight).. I don't doubt your findings, but I don't understand it either.

If the 4410 is supposedly superior to the 4412 based on both sharing the same cabinet dimension, why would that make the 10" "tight" and the 12" "flabby"? And how does that translate to the 4410 besting the L80t when they are nearly the same in two dimensions but the long dimension is nearly 10" greater in the L80T? If the bigger box benefits the 10" in one design, why does it not work even better in a larger box in a different model? Did JBL just blow the simplest of calculations? :blink:

SEAWOLF97
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Did JBL just blow the simplest of calculations? :blink:

I really doubt that...
from Robs response it seems that the network is a bigger contributor than the box volume.

My WAG is that the ten incher is best suited for the 4410 box size and is overwhelmed in the larger L80t box (or mebbe if the T3 really is better, then the network is not as finely tuned in the L80t) and if that is true.....then the 12 MAY be constricted in a box thats best for a 10 ?

Unlike many here, I dont feel that the in line drivers make much difference.

BMWCCA
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Unlike many here, I dont feel that the in line drivers make much difference.Maybe only in close near-field use but that's not how we're using them.

evans224
07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I enjoyed my 4410's, which to me lacked only in the low end. I think with a subwoofer, they would really be excellent.
I sold them after I found a pair of 4412's, thinking that this would be the perfect balance of bass extension and that JBL studio monitor sound which I so dearly love. What I discovered is that I'm having a hard time positioning them. They need a tall stand or shelf. So, I bought some 29" tall stands, positioned the speakers horizontally, and they sound great. Problem is, I don't like the way they look. I'm going to send back the stands and figure a different way to mount them....

In the mean time, L5's rock!

BMWCCA
07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
I sold them after I found a pair of 4412's, thinking that this would be the perfect balance of bass extension and that JBL studio monitor sound which I so dearly love. What I discovered is that I'm having a hard time positioning them. They need a tall stand or shelf. So, I bought some 29" tall stands, positioned the speakers horizontally, and they sound great. Problem is, I don't like the way they look. I'm going to send back the stands and figure a different way to mount them....

In the mean time, L5's rock!How very true. I learned about the boundary reinforcement when I got my L112s new and tried to use them as floor speakers. Even 4-inches off the floor helps. It seems all the 128H-type twelves need some sort of riser or stand. They are, after all, "bookshelf" speakers! On the 4412A it's pretty obvious as that's the way JBL oriented them. But what a great sound when you find the sweet spot!

And yeah, the L5 comes ready-to-play since you can't really screw-up their placement. Though I suppose if you removed the bases and laid them on their sides on the floor you might find problems with even the L5, but isn't that analogous to standing a 4412A upright on the ground?

SEAWOLF97
07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I've got to admit that the 4412s were never run horiz , up on tall stands....only vert with 12 in stands...did not have the space to run them high and wide. And if they must be run that way to be optimum, well..it really limits their usefulness.

No matter...they were another experience to add to the pile, but I did not label them as keepers in the context that I was able to use them.