PDA

View Full Version : Connecting music with your stereo setup

Steve Mac
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I thought it might be interesting get a thread going that attempted to draw the connection between what the forum members listened to at home and a few of the recordings that sound great played back on it. If I like something I'll play it no matter how bad it's recorded...but when the two become one....well that's what I'm talking about.(imitating Kip from Napoleon Dynamite)

I know what a few here listen through but I think it would make it easy for this thread to include at least a general pic for each participant. I guess details not too important other than to get a general sense and see what the other guys/gals are listening to.

Okay, I get to go first...I'll throw out some songs and provide a link to a pic of my system:

listening to this system....
http://www.superbadcat.com/images/stereo/511e_18.jpg

here's a few songs that I'm currently enjoying:
-Low Rider - War
(this just a show off tune...the dynamics sensational... bass is big and that dam cowbell!)
-The Great Pumpkin Waltz - Chick Corea -Happy Annivers. Charlie Brown
(I love beautifully recorded jazz piano..this song = goosebumps)
-Naptown Blues - Wes Montgomery - Goin' Out of my Head
(the CD recording is the best I've heard of his...the song is good....the guitar player is awesome and the genius of Oliver Nelson is at work with the big band)
-Besame Mucho - Wes Montgomery -Boss Guitar
(his guitar playing is so beautiful I had to mention it)
-Stir it Up - Bob Marley
(he made some great recordings!)
->Cool #9 - Joe Satriani
(this sounds SO uncompressed...clean, mean and raw...and what finesse!)
->She Caught the Katy - The Blues Brothers
(just a fun song thrown in...a really tight band...well recorded...I love the Blues Brothers)

...maybe I'll get some new ideas from the folks here for some additional music selections to add to the collection. :)

So, in a nutshell:
1) you like the song
2) dang it sounds nice on the stereo

jcrobso
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I probably as impressed by the room as the speakers! There are many of us who just don't have big rooms, mine is 14X17'.
Could you give us a listing of the drivers you are using?

Steve Mac
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I probably as impressed by the room as the speakers! There are many of us who just don't have big rooms, mine is 14X17'.
Could you give us a listing of the drivers you are using?
Again, I didn't want to muddy it up with exhaustive equipment lists....but okay:
Altec 511E mid range horns -> GPA-288H compression drivers
custom mid bass horns -> GPA-515-16 woofers
bassmaxx style bass horns -> JBL-2242 woofers
Odyssey Audio amps

okay...your turn jcrobso! :)

jcrobso
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
My all time favorite is the Telarc vinyl recording of the 1812 Overture. I do love the canons at the end. :applaud:
My speakers are home made K horns with JBL D140F, LE175 drivers on Beyma bi-radial horns and Beyma CP21 slot HF drivers. This is lot of speaker in a 14X17' room.