PDA

View Full Version : JBL StudioL Series for Parties

Fawd
06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Hows it going everyone? I had a few questions in regards to my hometheatere system and using it for large 'frat' parties. First, my set up is as follows:

JBL L820 x2
JBL L890 x2
JBL L8400P x2
JBL LC2 x2
and one other brand 250watt sub.

My first question is: Will this system fill a room with sound efficiently (assuming 100-200 people are in a large, indoor room).

If we are having an outdoor pre-game party would this system be sufficient?

I was told that as these are "studio" speakers, so they will not fill a large room full of people with sound as they are made for smaller home theaters. Is this true?

As far as sound quality goes, how would these compare to a formitable "DJ system"? Every party I go to that has a DJ, the sound quality is terrible - we are looking for great sound with alot of bass.

Basicly, I am simply asking is would this make a large room full of people really thump with great quality sound? (I have a great reciever with a external amp, so the speakers are recieving enough power).

Thanks guys!

Fawd
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I should also note, that I clearly do not know much about sound, sorry! :[

jblnut
06-30-2009, 05:14 PM
You need to define "loud" and specify the room size. I would say that these will probably not be a replacement for a good horn-loaded "DJ" set of speakers. You just can't get a direct radiating speaker to play as loud as a horn loaded one. If you like JBL (and you've come to the right place) check out the "EON" series or surf on over to jblpro.com.

Home speakers are not PA speakers....

jblnut

BMWCCA
06-30-2009, 05:19 PM
:dont-know Umm, you haven't said Word One about your amps. You've probably got enough speakers and subs for a party in a not-so-large room but your big speakers will want something like 250wpc and the smaller ones 150wpc according to JBL. What are you driving them with?

No, they're not DJ speakers, thank doG, because they probably sound pretty nice in your home theater setup. But the cardinal rule when you're trying to recreate live sound levels is: If it starts to sound like crap, turn it down!

:blink:

If you really need to fill a room for a party that's not your problem, try renting some DJ powered speakers. I prefer the Mackies to the JBL EONs. See what your local sound supply has available to rent.

Fawd
06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
I am running them with a pioneer elite reciever and an external amp... I honestly cannot remember how big the amp is, I do know that it cost me decent chunk of change though... Hope that helps...

The room size is fairly large... it can easly swallow 200 people. And by "loud" I mean loud like a club where you can 'feel' the bass etc..

Hope this clears your questions up. From the way it sounds, these wont do in a larger venue, which is a shame because the Star Wars Ep. III intro really makes your heart pump with the sound is turned up ;)

Any further input would be greatly appreciated - I am really hoping that I wont have to buy a whole new system just for parties.

Thanks again!

06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
The room size is fairly large... it can easly swallow 200 people. And by "loud" I mean loud like a club where you can 'feel' the bass etc..

Yeah, I don't think that's going to cut it. Sound reinforcement and home theater are two completely different animals. One is meant for high fidelity, while the other is meant for legibility.

Hope this clears your questions up. From the way it sounds, these wont do in a larger venue, which is a shame because the Star Wars Ep. III intro really makes your heart pump with the sound is turned up ;)Probably because you didn't have a crowd in that same room. You'd be surprised at how people really absorb sound.