PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Receiver Poppin

RIGGED
06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I have an older Onkyo 919 receiver that makes a popping noise when the volume is turned all the way down, and when a different input is selected.
I changed electrical outlets and it continues to pop.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

RIGGED

06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I had this problem with a Harman Kardon receiver a few weeks ago. They suggested I reset the receiver, but that ended with no avail. For what it's worth, I ended up shipping the unit back to them for a replacement.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

RIGGED
06-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I had this problem with a Harman Kardon receiver a few weeks ago. They suggested I reset the receiver, but that ended with no avail. For what it's worth, I ended up shipping the unit back to them for a replacement.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

So my beloved behemoth is doomed? That's what I kinda figured, dagnabit! The thing is in mint condition, well, in appearance anyhow.
I was hoping there was a way to do an easy fix on it.:biting:

Thanks,

RIGGED

Loren42
06-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I have an older Onkyo 919 receiver that makes a popping noise when the volume is turned all the way down, and when a different input is selected.
I changed electrical outlets and it continues to pop.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

RIGGED

That sounds like a semiconductor breaking down. Unless you have experience working on/in electronics you need to find a repair shop.

robertbartsch
06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I would take this out of service immediately before it craters your loudspeakers.

I own an Onkyo receiver and I'm not a big fan.

RIGGED
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Good thing I purchased a spare(TX939).
Yea, I unhooked it asap, cost me 1hr of party time last night but it was worth it.

Any idea how much it would cost to repair?
If too much, my teenage son needs a new amp for his Guitar Hero sessions.

Onkyo-had this Ebay receiver for about 5yrs so I reckon my moneys worth I did get.

RIGGED

robertbartsch
06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Estimates on repairs are easy. Take a look on Fleabay and determine the FV of a working unit that approximates the make and model of your blown receiver.

Multiply that amount by 80% and that is what a repair shop will likely charge you for a repair.

Obviously, the repair shops know the fair values and they often base their repair estimates on these amounts. That has been my experince, anyway.

RIGGED
06-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I after hooking up receiver numero two, I noticed a faint sound, much like the sound I heard from the sick receiver. I unhooked the M&K sub and the noise stopped. Is it possible the sub had something to do with receiver number one's demise?

Note, I hooked up receiver number 1 sans the sub and it still made that loud thumping sound.

RIGGED:bs: