PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet for Altec 604

TE604
06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I have 2 vintage (1948) Altec 604s in perfect condition. They came in cabinets but the cabinets don't match. I would like to buy a matching pair of cabinets, or better yet, have a pair built. Does anyone know of a builder that can make these.

Thanks in advance,

Terry Egan

speakerdave
06-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Hello, Terry,

Knowing approximately where you are geographically may help spark a response. It sounds like an interesting project.

David

Tom Loizeaux
06-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes, tell us where you are.
I do have a pair of matching Altec cabinets made for the 604. These are not the small, classic ones, but larger, ported boxes that were often used in recording studios.
Contact me if you're interested and I will send you photos.

Tom
[email protected]

TE604
06-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi and thanks for replying,

I live in St. Louis.

The speakers came in two different cabinets. The first I think is a 615 cabinet - it looks kind of art deco-ish and reminds me of the big old Zenith radios of the 40s/50s. The second came in a very nice retangular and ornate cabinet with a cloth grill with a flat wire front. Both cabinets were made by Altec.

Terry

Todd W. White
06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Iconic Manufacturing Company has the ability to build what you need - we can construct an original style enclosure for you, or design an all-new one to fit your needs. We are currently designing and producing three different enclosures for the 604 series, as well as for our own two-way speakers. In addition, we can make sure that the enclosures we build for you are precisely tuned for your particular speakers for optimum performance.

All of our enclosures are made by a cabinet maker who has been building Altec-style cabinets for 25 years, and does so to exacting specifications.

These ship out from Tulsa, so there might be a way for me to bring them 1/2 way and save you on freight, too!

Contact me if you are interested. I can send you pictures, if you'd like to know more.

Todd W. White
E-Mail: [email protected]

Jgermano
10-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I have the same drivers and am looking for cabinets. Did you finally get them? I am a cabinet maker by trade and can build my own, but I can't find plans for the early art deco style cabinets. Any ideas? I saw one cabinet go up for sale on eaby that fit the bill but the seller wanted 600 for it and it was in rough shape.

speakerdave
10-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Do you have an image of that cabinet you can post? I would like to see it.

Thanks,

David