PDA

View Full Version : L100 & L100 century*?

midlife
06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Do L100s and L100 Centurys share the exact same woofer? And if not what are the differences, which one is generally considered prefferable, and also what are the component model numbers. thanks in advance;)

JBLRaiser
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Do L100s and L100 Centurys share the exact same woofer? And if not what are the differences, which one is generally considered prefferable, and also what are the component model numbers. thanks in advance;)

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14197

This site is meant to be explored. Happy hiking.

midlife
06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14197

This site is meant to be explored. Happy hiking.
Thanks, certainly interesting, however I am interested more in the LF drivers, and not so much the xover impact. How many LF driver variations are there in the L100 & L100 Century offerings-geared towards my DIY needs? thanks once again :blah::):)

AmericanPie
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
All the technical info you'll need is located in the "Links" sections at the bottom of the home page. Scroll down and you'll see all three L100 variants listed.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10661

BMWCCA
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm just curious what kind of DIY project you're cookin' up that would benefit from any 123 variant as a LF driver? I'm no DIY guy, for sure, but my experience tells me if I really wanted a 12" LF driver it wouldn't be that one. More likely candidates could be the 128H-1, 2214H, or the LE120H-1. :dont-know

midlife
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm just curious what kind of DIY project you're cookin' up that would benefit from any 123 variant as a LF driver? I'm no DIY guy, for sure, but my experience tells me if I really wanted a 12" LF driver it wouldn't be that one. More likely candidates could be the 128H-1, 2214H, or the LE120H-1. :dont-know
I'm looking to do a L65 upgrade of the bolt in kind. The only off limit parts are cabs, tweets and crossovers. Everything else is negotiable. Would like to do a LF aquaplas and I am entertaining a comtemporary MF change. Not terribly impressed with my L65s and being a tinkerer by nature (a by product of the motorcycling hop up culture) My curiosity begs interference with the L65s nature. Hope I am not throwing good money behind bad?

hjames
06-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm looking to do a L65 upgrade of the bolt in kind. The only off limit parts are cabs, tweets and crossovers. Everything else is negotiable. Would like to do a LF aquaplas and I am entertaining a comtemporary MF change. Not terribly impressed with my L65s and being a tinkerer by nature (a by product of the motorcycling hop up culture) My curiosity begs interference with the L65s nature. Hope I am not throwing good money behind bad?
you want to shuffle LF and MF drivers but crossovers are offlimits?
Say it aint so, 'cause that ain't the way to go ..

You HAVE to tweak the crossover depending on the driver

can't rake the frame unless you put longer front end on it, now can you?

midlife
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM
you want to shuffle LF and MF drivers but crossovers are offlimits?
Say it aint so, 'cause that ain't the way to go ..

You HAVE to tweak the crossover depending on the driver

can't rake the frame unless you put longer front end on it, now can you?
Well you could but it might be awkward. Since I do not have alot of technical knowledge I thought I might tempt to stumble upon super 65s by parts swapping....miss guided I'm sure. However without experience of xovers and proven applications from those who do know. I was left to my own limited devices.....recipe for excuses, no doubt. Whats a poor boy to do?

BMWCCA
06-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone here think a 123 is going to improve an L65?

Even JBL suggests the 128H-1 as a replacement driver. Do you think you have too much bass as it is now, or something? ;)

Here's goes the IMHO disclaimer again: Personally I always preferred my L112s to any Jubal I ever heard. My boss of nearly twenty-years had a pair. I remember when my 1973 Crown D150 went back to Crown for a hum in one channel and I bought an Amber (local company) to fill in for the Crown. I was never so happy see my Crown when it came back with a clean bill of health. I gave the Amber to my boss to try who thought it was the cat's pajamas with his Jubals. I think he'd had a Marantz receiver. He wanted me to hear the improvement and I just couldn't bear to tell him how much better the Crown would sound. I just was never that impressed with Jubals, either. Not bad at all, just too many other options I felt sounded better. Nothing that I wouldn't think could be improved by jacking them up off the floor and putting a good (128H-1) woofer in there!

I believe the Amber was later a victim of self-immolation. :o:

midlife
06-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Anyone here think a 123 is going to improve an L65?

Even JBL suggests the 128H-1 as a replacement driver. Do you think you have too much bass as it is now, or something? ;)

Here's goes the IMHO disclaimer again: Personally I always preferred my L112s to any Jubal I ever heard. My boss of nearly twenty-years had a pair. I remember when my 1973 Crown D150 went back to Crown for a hum in one channel and I bought an Amber (local company) to fill in for the Crown. I was never so happy see my Crown when it came back with a clean bill of health. I gave the Amber to my boss to try who thought it was the cat's pajamas with his Jubals. I think he'd had a Marantz receiver. He wanted me to hear the improvement and I just couldn't bear to tell him how much better the Crown would sound. I just was never that impressed with Jubals, either. Not bad at all, just too many other options I felt sounded better. Nothing that I wouldn't think could be improved by jacking them up off the floor and putting a good (128H-1) woofer in there!

I believe the Amber was later a victim of self-immolation. :o:
Well I might have been given a clue...since the 65s also need new grille cloth, the cats pajamas might be a viable alternative.

hjames
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
....recipe for excuses, no doubt. Whats a poor boy to do?

Poor boy could use existing popular JBL speakers as a model for DIY ...
gather drivers KNOWN to work with the drivers you have and try the combo yourself ...

maybe work up a biamp system so you can use an active crossover to dial in the crossover points that sound good to you.

Search the site gather your OWN info, research man, research - read lots of the DIY threads here ...
don't just ask, man, DO!

And - what does all that have to do with L100 Century

Jubal is NOT a century, wrong cabinets and crossovers, for one!

Go find a pair of 2214Hs to start with, hey?

midlife
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Poor boy could use existing popular JBL speakers as a model for DIY ...
gather drivers KNOWN to work with the drivers you have and try the combo yourself ...

maybe work up a biamp system so you can use an active crossover to dial in the crossover points that sound good to you.

Search the site gather your OWN info, research man, research - read lots of the DIY threads here ...
don't ask, man, DO!
Cat man DO, I'm on it! Super 65s, soon to be heard? Multi amps, variable xovers....I could get lost in the shuffle

mike
06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
There are people that say putting the 123A-1 woofer in the L65 is an improvement. I doubt that it would improve the bass but possibly the midrange.

Mike