PDA

View Full Version : JBL L150A Opinions Please

Cactus Bob
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Hello!!! My first post after lurking many times!! Any experiences on JBL L150A speakers, good, bad, whatever? Thanks Bob

BMWCCA
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Hello!!! My first post after lurking many times!! Any experiences on JBL L150A speakers, good, bad, whatever? Thanks BobOn AK you asked about placement issues etc., and that's really the strength of the L150A in that its height gives it near-perfect driver placement and the passive radiator means you can pretty much shove the cabinet back right up against a wall if you need to. We know the driver complement is good since it's basically an L112 with a PR added. I have to say I've never put mine side-by-side with my other equivalent JBL since the L150As are stored in their original boxes awaiting re-surround surgery.

Do you have a pair, or are you shopping? :)

hjames
06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Take him $200 and thank him VERY much for the sale -
even parted out thats a fine price, and if you are willing to keep them, even better!
(some folks just don't like big boxes in their home ...!)

Thanks for your response, I am picking up this pair from a CL ad tomorrow afternoon. He sounds very responsible and honest on the tel. and needs the room and says he knows he can get more money if he wanted. He wants $200.00

Ad Reads: "Speaker cones and surrounds are in perfect condition. Grills have fabric in great shape...The grill frames are solid, there is some wear on the holes that fit on the pegs that hold the grill on but nothing
broken....These are my old Babies, they work great"

I would powerr them with my newly aquired Sansui 9090db.

See pictures from ad below. I appreciate your help, Bob

I love Al Dimeola's music too! My favorite speaker testing tune is "Suite - Golden Dawn" from the Land of the Midnight Sun LP!

BMWCCA
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Collectible JBL L150A Speakers - $200 (West Valley)

Date: 2009-06-22, 8:23PM MST

Collectible JBL L150A (Pair)....I lost a bet so I need to clean out the Garage... Hah! What do we learn from this? Don't ever bet when your JBLs are on the line. ;)

My guess is if you haven't already paid for them and hauled them away, someone else owns them by now. Good luck.

midlife
06-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your response, I am picking up this pair from a CL ad tomorrow afternoon. He sounds very responsible and honest on the tel. and needs the room and says he knows he can get more money if he wanted. He wants $200.00

Ad Reads: "Speaker cones and surrounds are in perfect condition. Grills have fabric in great shape...The grill frames are solid, there is some wear on the holes that fit on the pegs that hold the grill on but nothing
broken....These are my old Babies, they work great"

I would powerr them with my newly aquired Sansui 9090db.

See pictures from ad below. I appreciate your help, Bob

I love Al Dimeola's music too! My favorite speaker testing tune is "Suite - Golden Dawn" from the Land of the Midnight Sun LP!
Did you say "Land of the Midnight Sun"...............so nice

Doc Mark
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey, Heather,

I like your new Avatar! The pink duck gives the duck lip horns a bit of panache!! ;):D:applaud: Have you had the chance to enjoy them yet? I'm eager for a report, and look forward to your first impressions. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

hjames
06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey, Heather,

I like your new Avatar! The pink duck gives the duck lip horns a bit of panache!! ;):D:applaud: Have you had the chance to enjoy them yet? I'm eager for a report, and look forward to your first impressions. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Thanks for the kind words ... but, its a duck-billed Platypus, of course!
he he - see report and bigger image at the new end of the thread here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15317

BMWCCA
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for the advertizing :bash: I'll remember your friendly advice! I personally would not do this to another AK'r or anyone on this site. If I miss on this I know why!

What did I spill that you didn't? If you hadn't already jumped at a $200 pair of mint, one-owner L150As by now, common sense says someone else already did . . . regardless of anything I posted that simply came out of the information you had already posted—here and on AK. You said they were on Craig's List and you indicate you're in Arizona. Duhhh! In fact as far as I know, another AK-er who already asked about comparing his L7s to his new-found L150As (to which you referred by repeating my Al Di Meola recommendation) already owns them. Unless you're running with two identities on AK which is probably against the rules. :dont-know

Do you actually think LH members are the only ones checking a major-market city's Craig's List listings for JBLs? I'm sure not hopping in the truck and driving 2,000 miles to beat you to them. But you should have scooped them up already instead of dropping hints for consensual validation on every hi-fi list and bemoaning the fact that someone else actually saw the add, too! If you already talked with the seller and didn't hop in your car, hit the ATM, and go get the speakers, you certainly can't blame me if you missed them. You said you're picking them up tomorrow, so . . . :blink:

hjames
06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for the advertizing :bash: I'll remember your friendly advice! I personally would not do this to another AK'r or anyone on this site. If I miss on this I know why!
Well, I didn't post them, but you said it was CL and your address is AZ - not too hard to find.

I wish you the best with this, but if you didn't rush after them on first notice, you aren't interested enough.

When I am looking at speakers and such I NEVER mention them in a big forum like this - its Private Messages to friends I trust ONLY.
I only mention them AFTER I have possession of them in MY house ...

Frankly, if you blabbed about it on the world wide web, you know you've only got yourself to blame ...

tarior
06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Just remember this when you are perusing CL for gear. For every one person who is looking for a nice piece of equipment or pair of speakers that he will keep and enjoy, there are at least 10 people looking for stuff that they can flip or part out on ebay. They don't waste their time getting consensus, they get in their cars and GO.

Allanvh5150
06-23-2009, 10:53 PM
200 bucks is a good deal. you may have to refoam but at that price it is good. I have 2 pair of them and I love em.

Allan.

JBL 4645
06-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey, Heather,

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Yeah the duck!:D

There once was an ugly duckling
With feathers all stubby and brown
And the other birds said in so many words
Get out of town
Get out, get out, get out of town
And he went with a quack and a waddle and a quack

Cactus if you have the dosh don’t hesitate too much otherwise someone else will grab them! First come first served.

Found this little write-up by a happy punter on Google image
http://www.randallareed.com/JBL_150L%20Speakers.htm (http://www.randallareed.com/JBL_150L%20Speakers.htm)

Brief distribution and spec on JBL L150A
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1979-l150/page2.jpg

I think $200 is spot on! Unless you like to pay $1,195.00 :blink: on fleaBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L150A-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ250450367531QQcmdZViewItemQQimsx Z20090623?IMSfp=TL090623153002r13149 (http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L150A-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ250450367531QQcmdZViewItemQQimsx Z20090623?IMSfp=TL090623153002r13149)

Quote from fleaBay
PLEASE CHECK MY OTHER JBL L250 FOR SALE. GIVE ME AN OFFER FOR BOTH I CAN NOT REFUSE :D
Quote from fleaBay
http://hiremattwright.com/images/godfather-dinner.jpg